lost dont know what to do

shelty24

Hey all. I'm extremely stressed and cannot think straight. This is going to be a bit long but please-all advice welcome.

Ok i left a secure job (reliable wage) for a new job coz it was making me ill. I was miserable there. I started my new job and noticed the company was unprofessional and began to wonder if id made a mistake.. One day 2months after i started the boss came in and let me go. He said its not busy enough and they cant afford to pay me. I was angry but left with dignity..

so i applied for over 500 jobs-no luck yet.. i now have to move house, my car is gone and i just feel so lost and overwhelmed.

I dont know what to do.. i have a bunch of ideas flying around and i cant decide. Im an ambitious person. Im 24 and i really want a career. Ive been applying for loads of trainee management positions but i havn't even got one phone call yet. I'm applying to all big companies as i just want to progress.

I dont know whether to try and get some crappy job that i hate coz at least its a job or to keep aiming high. I dont know whether to go back to college or not by night and do a degree. I dont know whether i should just move away to a country that has better prospects. I dont know whether i should set up my own online business (i have a good idea but it would take at least a year before i start making money) and i still need to work in the meantime..

my family are really p me off too. My dad got rid of my care coz i had no tax on it and he bought a new car for my mum that i can "share" but i feel like he has just put me under more pressure coz now if i get a job im gonna struggle to save for a car (which i need).. they also want me and my bf to move into my granddads house which is near town, public transport etc.. and were happy to move there but now there telling me they are not getting us a freezer-just a fridge and im annoyed coz we are paying rent 400 per month.. my granddad died btw so it will just be us living there.

I feel overwhelmed with stress. My whole life has just changed and im angry. Trying to hold it together but near breaking point.. i worked my way up to store management but wasnt managing staff (small business, quite location so just me) and im terrified of starting all over again stacking shelves or on a till.. that is my worst nightmare but i will take any job right now. I just dont want to get stuck in a rut in some crappy job i hate.. im soo depressed-cant sleep at night and staying in bed half the day and im angry at my family for not being supportive. I want to run away from everything-just leave and start again but i cant do that. Uh please help

You had a job and left it.

You got laid off from the next one.

You weren't paying on your car so its gone.

You and your bf are getting grandpa house for a measly $400 a month and shared use of your mothers car.....and you are complaining??

Time to grow up. Your parents are doing more than they. need to.

You have to look for a job your are qualified for...not one you are not.

Additional school is probably out of the question as you have no money.

Same goes for leaving the country...with no money.

Reality sucks...but it beats the alternative. Be realistic...make a plan and work it.

I live in ireland. Rent is cheap here. My house now is 600, granddads 400. The difference between houses? One is modern, comfortable, nice. The other old, not modern and uncomfortable and not nice.

I am qualified and well able for the jobs i am applying for. I have a diploma in HR and 6 years management experience.. and i am a grown up! My parents are making my life more difficult. I could have kept my car parked in the garage till i can afford the tax..

also the job i left closed down last month so either way i would be jobless. I asked for advice not a lecture but thanks anyway

and i do have over 1000 savings

I'd find a job, any job, just to have money coming in and then continue to look for a better job, relocating to another country or setting up a business or whatever in the meantime. If you do attend school for a degree, do some research about what fields are in need of people so you don't waste time and money getting a degree and then not be able to find a job in the field. Best of luck!

Okay, first stop spinning. It's getting you nowhere trying to look at too many options. You are going to have to focus down on your goals with laser intensity one at a time. So first goal: get a job, period. Don't lay in bed, don't wallow in emotions, you don't have time for that. Take a step back, a deep breath, look at what you're doing or not doing that you're having trouble finding work. Reassess what you can do to change that, switch up your resume, get online and search out stories and websites that can give you information you can use to land a job.

While you're doing all that move into Grandad's house. It's not ideal, but it's a roof over your head. Worry about car when you have a job. Take time each day and go for a brief walk to get you out of your head. Get those things taken care of then take a deep breath and tackle the next thing on your plate. I get it, I tend to do the same thing sometimes shooting off in all directions and worrying about whether or not I'm doing the right thing. The trouble with getting locked into that mindset though is you never do anything. And that is the wrong thing.

So keep it simple. Job first, move to have roof over head, figure out transport. When you have those things taken care of and life has calmed down pick back up that idea about your own business and see where that goes. Try it and see if that helps.

Ireland is in the middle of a huge recession. I have been lucky to have a job these past 3 years. I was working 6 days a week as a store manager for 10euro an hour. By the time rent, bills, groceries, car, college etc was paid for-there wasnt much left. I dont appreciate your sarcy attitude tbh. Ive been working my ass off, im a hard worker, a good person and i don't deserve any of this (life changes). Im not entitled-im stressed and if you have no advice to offer then dont respond. When i took the new job i was promised a year. It didnt work out

I'd find a job, any job, just to have money coming in and then continue to look for a better job, relocating to another country or setting up a business or whatever in the meantime. If you do attend school for a degree, do some research about what fields are in need of people so you don't waste time and money getting a degree and then not be able to find a job in the field. Best of luck!

I think it still has to be any job within reason because taking a job that will make you miserable will not be good for your mental health. So it's important to like something about the job that you are applying to so that you won't be on the verge of going crazy when you get stuck at a job you hate.

Try not to get too caught up in the number of jobs you apply to because tons and tons of job postings are fake. For example, in the month of November I applied to 30-35 jobs I was willing to do and was qualified for and only heard back from 1 employer. So just continue to apply to atleast one job each day that you feel you would like and continue that everyday. Don't get in the habit of applying to anything because that does not accomplish anything but you hating to go to work.

What do you mean samantha? I dont think this has anything to do with self esteem. Its a crisis that i am struggling to come to terms with. Ive worked since i was 13-never been out of work and all that time i was in school/college too. Im a busy busy person and very ambitious. I am just really struggling to deal with this. Im really annoyed at my dad. I feel like he is making things more difficult. I know i am being unfair to him coz he is trying to help me but sometimes he does things that really upset me without realizing it like taking my car away. I just feel like he has made things more difficult.

And no i am not spoilt if thats what you guys are thinking. My car is the only thing hes ever really given me without me having to work for it and its an old 97 banger that used to be my mums but i still loved and appreciated it. Now its gone and i feel like everything has been taken away!

its like the last straw-first my job, then my home and now my car. Im just angry

And when i agreed to move into granddads they promised to get a fridge freezer for the house and now they changed their mind coz the house is being put up for sale in 6months.. but a freezer would only be an extra 100.. me and my bf have a full freezer where we are living now. Im annoyed that i wont be able to freeze anything. I know it sounds stupid but its all just getting on top of me now

we do a weekly shop and freeze most things. Hes annoyed over it too.. neither of us really want to move there but have no choice. Now that ive no car i need to be near town..

sorry for venting. I feel like my head is gonna explode

Try not to get too caught up in the number of jobs you apply to because tons and tons of job postings are fake. For example, in the month of November I applied to 30-35 jobs I was willing to do and was qualified for and only heard back from 1 employer. So just continue to apply to atleast one job each day that you feel you would like and continue that everyday. Don't get in the habit of applying to anything because that does not accomplish anything but you hating to go to work.

Thanks that makes sense. Maybe i should keep applying to places that have future career prospects and be patient

Thanks that makes sense. Maybe i should keep applying to places that have future career prospects and be patient

Well my preference of employment is a combination of administrative and customer service in a call center or office setting. Those are the jobs I can do until I get a job in my field. Jobs I have absolutely no interest in are

retail jobs

food service jobs

I have no job prospects right now or no income and if someone was to walk in my apt right now and offer me a food service job for 40 hours a week I would say..............NO lol

Hey mikaela. Ya i have done that. I forwarded my cv to around 10 of them. I have gotten phone calls from a few asking about my experience etc. They said they will let me know if anything comes up

That's all been hearing too which is annoying. don't call me to say you have nothing for me.

I know its irritating. Well right now im not too fussy. I applied to mcdonalds, dunnes etc (places i dont want to work) but will coz i know they train you well and offer future career prospects. All i wana do is work my way up to managing people, do that for 6-12 months and then get a better job.. i also want to do a night course-a degree in business. Its 2 nights a week for 3 years and its only 1800 per year which you can pay monthly. And once i get a job im gonna save first for a car and then for a good computer so i can start working on my business idea.. my laptop now is on the way out. I just feel overwhelmed coz i have applied to everywhere i can think of and im running out of ideas.

I did get two job offers but they wouldnt pay me. One was only giving me 4 hour shifts five days a week and id spend my wages on transport. The other was minimum wage 2 hours away. I also had an interview and trial with aldi. They told me im overqualified and since im so ambitious i should apply for trainee management position instead which i did. The boss new i would be unhappy on the floor. The thought of it taking 5 years to work my way up again was too much and i think he saw the horror on my face..

tbh i think the work in aldi would be physically impossible for me. During my trial i couldnt reach the top shelves and almost broke my back a few times lol. im not afraid of hard work at all but i know what im capable of and some of it was too heavy for me

Networking is also important. Make sure all your friends and family know you are looking for a new job. Ireland is still very much about who you know not what you know.

And it's important to let your family know what your background is and a copy of your resume because they may pass along job information that is not a good fit for your background

Thanks guys. I feel a bit more positive now. I know its a really bad time of year. Maybe i will have more luck in January. I'm good at interviews-its just getting the interviews i want is the problem. I've never been turned down once i get to interview stage.. Iv a good CV and a good cover letter but i think ill add a picture to it-try and grab their attention that way.

My dads friend put in a good work for me for temporary xmas work. He told me to expect a phone call soon and i may get kept on if they need someone. Also ive been offered a job in mcdonalds like 4 times when i was working so i turned it down. My mum works there part time and the managers asked her about me loads of times.. when i gave him my cv last week he was smiling so they may ring me after xmas...

the thought of working nights again and weekends is horrible but at least i can get back on my feet and keep my eyes open for something else..

Archived