Jump to content

I've accepted an offer but just got a call from my top choice.


Recommended Posts

As the title states, I accepted a job offer today but literally on my way home from the interview, I received a call from my top choice for an interview in a week and a half. I was wondering if rescinding my acceptance would be unethical or look really bad? I'm not trying to sound cocky that I will get it, but I /do/ want to be prepared on what to say if I happen to get an offer (and also prepare for future situations) as this has never happened to me before.

 

If it helps, I am still a student. These are all part-time assistant positions for my career field. I accepted an offer from a very small startup, and needed to secure a position ASAP because I will be quitting my job within January (due to scheduling conflicts with my classes). The person I spoke to was very nice and I do want to help her out, I loved her startup company, but my top choice would pay a few dollars more per hour and would significantly help me in paying tuition. I really liked her which is why I accepted so quickly.

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, an interview is not a job offer. So if you really need a job, don't turn down the one who has made you an offer just for an interview.

 

You can always try to postpone your start date at the new company long enough to interview with the other company and see whether you got the other job or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^^ what she said AND it is a very, very, very good thing if you like the people you are working with/for and what the company does. it goes a long way towards being fulfilled in your work. if you have the opportunity to choose what you enjoy doing, and a company you can stand behind, over making a few more bucks, then i would strongly advise it. you are at an age where the financial part of it shouldn't weigh into the decision as much, given your responsiblities are lighter.

 

if only i knew then what i know now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can only do that if you received a OFFER from your top choice not a interview. Unfortunately since you have a job offer and a start date, if the interview for the Top choice job is after the date you start the job you already have then it's probably no way you can go to it. Unless you just want to take a chance and believe you will get the job from the company you want. But the down side of that is you maybe in a situation where you end up with nothing. So since you do have a job offer now I would just stick with that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First, an interview is not a job offer. So if you really need a job, don't turn down the one who has made you an offer just for an interview.

 

You can always try to postpone your start date at the new company long enough to interview with the other company and see whether you got the other job or not.

 

 

Do you think that is risky? i am thinking since the start date is already set that if the OP ask to move it back the company will know that she/he is trying to go on more interviews and may change their mind. I think if it was me I would not play around with that at all and just start the job I already have.

 

 

But that's how life is, until you get a offer that's when everyone starts calling. Before the offer no one is calling to schedule anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An alternative to the mentioned suggestions is to take the job with the firm job offer and still go to the interview for the top choice job and see how that turns out. There is nothing wrong with taking a few hours off from the new job to keep an appointment for an interview. You just would have to give a good reason for needing the time to be able to attend the interview. ....chi

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An alternative to the mentioned suggestions is to take the job with the firm job offer and still go to the interview for the top choice job and see how that turns out. There is nothing wrong with taking a few hours off from the new job to keep an appointment for an interview. You just would have to give a good reason for needing the time to be able to attend the interview. ....chi

 

Take time off when you start a new job?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An alternative to the mentioned suggestions is to take the job with the firm job offer and still go to the interview for the top choice job and see how that turns out. There is nothing wrong with taking a few hours off from the new job to keep an appointment for an interview. You just would have to give a good reason for needing the time to be able to attend the interview. ....chi

 

yes, he can give the new boss a heads up before he even starts that he has something he has to take off for. it can be a "personal obligation" that he committed to before he accepted the position. no need to go into specifics.

 

another option is to just be honest with the new boss. tell her the situation and that you are mainly interested in the other job because it pays so much more (but that you really like her and her company). no one can fault you for wanting more money if it is offered. it just might be that she can offer you a bit more to stay with her. if not, she will completely understand if you decide to take the other job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, he can give the new boss a heads up before he even starts that he has something he has to take off for. it can be a "personal obligation" that he committed to before he accepted the position. no need to go into specifics.

 

another option is to just be honest with the new boss. tell her the situation and that you are mainly interested in the other job because it pays so much more (but that you really like her and her company). no one can fault you for wanting more money if it is offered. it just might be that she can offer you a bit more to stay with her. if not, she will completely understand if you decide to take the other job.

 

I think it's better to say you has a personal obligation that was already scheduled rather than saying "can I see if I like another company a little better?" lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, he can give the new boss a heads up before he even starts that he has something he has to take off for. it can be a "personal obligation" that he committed to before he accepted the position. no need to go into specifics.

 

 

I have done this a few times without issue. Most of the time the interview didn't lead to an offer so I was glad I kept the job I was offered.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This position you have in hand will produce work experience and a good letter of recommendation... The interview, well, it's an interview. What more, in a couple years, if you still want to work for this other company, you can - apply then. For now, I'd take the position in hand...

 

Although, all that being said, if they're both part time jobs and you can juggle it, take the interview. I know I was adverse to taking two jobs when I was in my masters program, and I was hell bent on working in my master's field. Alas, I got an offer for a job in my BS field just sitting in a master's class. I declined it and pursued that master's field job, and got it...

 

You think I'd be happy, right? The sobering point was when I received that first paycheck form the master's field job. It was barely enough to cover my gas and food for two weeks!! I went back to the first offer and asked if the work was still available, which it was, and after a brief discussion I realized I COULD take both positions - the first was about ten hours a week, the second was about 20 hours a week, primarily on weekends. And I did, which turned into a wonderful experience in both my master's field and my Bachelor's field. Turns out I'm no longer employed in either field, but it was worth the experience.

 

By the way, the pay was so good with the second job I went back to the initial job and came through on my initial offer that I could do the work as a volunteer. I knew they really couldn't afford to pay me what they were paying me, so I did what was right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...