"You look familiar" - is this a pickup line?

benkuske

A friend introduced me a to her friend at a party the other day.

We have a larger social circle so it's possible she's seen me, maybe tagged on FB or something... but she was just living out of state for the last few years and recently moved back. I've definitely never seen or met her and really can't think of why I would look familiar to her (though it's certainly possible).

----------------------------------------------------------------

We do the intros and she goes "you look familiar"

and i was like "oh, hmm... don't think I've met you".

And she just goes again "oh, yeah, probably haven't met but you just look really familiar."

Instead of asking any questions or making some funny remark, I was just like "oh.. hmm... well if we met I don't remember you either so it's cool haha"

And she goes AGAIN "oh yeah, no I know... I wasn't saying we've met, you just look really familiar..."

To which I brilliantly responded with "hmmmm..."

My friend who introduced us looked like she felt awkward and just goes "umm, maybe just around or something?"

And I was like "yeah, probably.."

and her friend was like "hmm.. yeah I guess so"

...Pause...

My friend says "well, alright, cool... that was exciting" (in sort of a sarcastic but non-joking way)

So then I asked her friend, "so, what do you do?"

And my friend just goes "oh geez... the what do you do question... alright I'm gonna go over here" and leaves (She was sitting in between us as we talked over her)

----------------------------------------------------------------

ANYWAY... *that* turned out kind of awkward. I know I could have said a million other things, but I feel like she could have as well... was that my bad? I've also heard some people say that the "you look familiar" line is more of a pickup line?

Well...

1.) I kind of have a tendency NOT to feel awkward, and didn't actually feel awkward until my friend made her "that was exciting" comment. How awkward does that exchange sound?

2.) Did I likely miss some signal or something from her friend trying to subtle communicate interest?

I'm not asking because I care, I'm asking because I have no idea what happen there or why it was sort of weird? Did I totally miss something or not get something And actually I am interested in my friend who introduced us in the first place... though I'm thinking she's not feeling it... and not sure what was with that whole exchange.

Thoughts??

It was a complete non-conversation. You said the same thing 3x....and did not move the conversation forward at all.

You could have followed up with...when did you move back?

Or "I hang out at xyz pub....have you ever been there?

Your friend was right... it was even awkward to read it.

It was a complete non-conversation. You said the same thing 3x....and did not move the conversation forward at all.

Yup, I can think of 20 things I could have and normally would have said different. But to be fair SHE said the same 3x and didn't move the conversation forward at all either. Or is this really all on me?

If I were you I would most likely respond the same if I was not in a talkative mood, especially to a random person.

I wasn't feeling un-talkative, though I certainly wasn't feeling on-the-ball at the moment. My delivery wasn't unenthusiastic or anything... does this come accross as particularly lame on my behalf?

"you look familiar"

"oh, hmm... don't think I've met you".

"oh, yeah, probably haven't met but you just look really familiar."

options:

"maybe from your dreams"

"maybe we've met in another life"

"maybe we've seen each other around, where do you usually go?"

"where did you go to high school?"

"are you from this town?'

facepalm, I need to go for a short walk after reading that exchange

it wasn't a pickup line, she just wanted to say hi. You were completely dry, she was completely dry, the end.

If you're interested in your friend, I hope you show more personality around her (with her friends) than an oyster. Even if you're not interested in her friend, put some effort forth, you come off boring yourself.

"you look familiar"

"oh, hmm... don't think I've met you".

"oh, yeah, probably haven't met but you just look really familiar."

options:

"maybe from your dreams"

"maybe we've met in another life"

"maybe we've seen each other around, where do you usually go?"

"where did you go to high school?"

"are you from this town?'

Building upon more fun responses

"I was actually a famous actor in my past life"

"where is your stomping ground?"

"Where do you like to have fun?"

"I hear that a lot, I was a child star"

"You look familiar too"

haha no I'm generally super outgoing/extroverted and my friends all think of me as the funny/witty one. Which is probably why I felt like such a tool in this exchange. Honestly it's because I already felt a little uncomfortable because I didn't know anyone here and this girl who I like always makes me nervous so I tend to get sudden brain fog around her. Not always, she knows my "normal" self so thank god it wasn't a first impression.

My mind just kind of was like... uhh.. nope I don't know you... though normally I tend to say respond with something funny/dumb like "oh yeah, people confuse me with Brad Pitt all the time, don't worry about it." But all I could think of at the moment was... "I don't know"

If it makes it better, I wasn't dry in my delivery at all, like I had an energetic positive tone (though SHE was super dry in her delivery). But afterwards I was definitely like "what is wrong with me!? Wake up!"

Frankly I didn't care about looking dry to the new girl, it was just my friend who I'm interested in where I was like "well... crap. Now I look like a dork in front of her!" Was definitely thrown off by how flustered she was by it.

Felt like a George Costanza story from Seinfeld

Haha that was painful just to read!

Don't sweat it, man, just laugh it off. You can't be "on" all the time.

When I had just gotten out of my last LTR, a buddy of mine introduced me to a couple of female friends of his at a bar. Then he left to go get a drink - totally setting me up to at least have a conversation with two single women, if nothing else! So: I stood there awkwardly and didn't say a thing until he got back. Hahaha! I mean, I hadn't had a conversation with a single woman as a single man for YEARS! C'mon! I still see these two out, since they are friends with my friend, and I just have to laugh about it and hope they someday forget our non-conversation.

The one time I wanted to see what it was like to pick up a guy I lied and told him that - as it turned out we actually did know of some of the same people (we were at a club med resort and from different states but both had finished the same graduate program at different schools) but I used it to break the ice. Later on in the evening I told him it had been a lie. He was amused. He ended up going after my roommate but we had a nice, romantic, and PG rated evening together.

Haha that was painful just to read!

Don't sweat it, man, just laugh it off. You can't be "on" all the time.

When I had just gotten out of my last LTR, a buddy of mine introduced me to a couple of female friends of his at a bar. Then he left to go get a drink - totally setting me up to at least have a conversation with two single women, if nothing else! So: I stood there awkwardly and didn't say a thing until he got back. Hahaha! I mean, I hadn't had a conversation with a single woman as a single man for YEARS! C'mon! I still see these two out, since they are friends with my friend, and I just have to laugh about it and hope they someday forget our non-conversation.

hahaha thats funny. sometimes the awkward moments are the ones that stick with us the most since they're so different and stand out in our memories. I know i have quite a few with people i sometimes still see around. then there are others were we both made effort in following interactions to make it water under the bridge.

OP anything that can be used to have a non ordinary interaction could be considered a pick up line, theyre designed to jump into something funner than the typical "what do you do?" i want to get to know you better convos (this would be a pickup line imo). once you see whether you two click you can get to know eachother otherwise its just a waste of time.

Any time you have the opportunity like this, you either move the conversation forward, or you sit like a duck and let it die. If you are at all interested in the girl, you do anything you can to move the conversation forward. Maybe she was, maybe she wasn't, but the more opportunities you give her to make her wishes clearer, the better chances you know what she wants. Heck, two hours later and her mind can be completely made up, I've seen it. That's literally how I landed my first girlfriend, we stood in a breezeway talking and after a couple hours we were still talking, when they closed we had to leave but it was cold outside so I motioned to the diner and there we went, for another hour of just talking.

We didn't get together till a couple months later, but that was because I didn't like the red flags. Her mind, though, in that moment, was pretty made up from then until something new and shinier came along...

Archived