Broke up 10 days ago and I need to move out now... complicated

cate link

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. So, my ex partner lives in the same building as me, right accross the hall. I can hear her sneeze, we're attached by walls. It was already in the cards that I would be giving my notice on December 1st, which I did. My original back up plan was that if I didn't find a place for Feb 1st, that I could live with her. Obviously, since we broke up on November 23rd, that back up plan is no longer in place.

Here's my dilemma: Over the weekend, I thought about where I'd like to live and decided I needed and wanted to get out of this immediate neighbourhood, where she will continue to dwell. Originally I was considering a building to the north of where we live now but then I was determined to get the heck out of here so that I'd have zero chance of running into her and move to an area that feels like home.

Here's the clincher/dilemma: The area that feels like home to me is EXPENSIVE. Rents for a tiny 1 bedroom (we're talking 500 square feet) clock in at $1,400 a month. On the other hand, I could stay in this general neighbourhood and pay $1,225 a month for a regular sized 1 bedroom...

Moving is stressful at the best of times and right now this imminent move is filling me with anxiety. My heart is pounding non-stop... I'm also selling a lot of my things, downsizing, to accommodate for smaller quarters. (Right now I'm living in a small 2 bedroom and paying $1,225).

I guess my question is, do I stay in this neighbourhood and save money in the long run OR do I get the heck out of this 'hood, move into my chosen 'hood and pay $200 more?? I feel like I'm holding things together very tenuously at this point and big decisions like this feel excruciatingly difficult and unclear to me right now. All I know is, I have to get out of this building, the sooner the better, and into my own place, that feels right, so I can start to heal.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

C

Move to wear it will make you happy. And shop around in that area! I would go for it - more opportunity to meet new people. Sure you give up space, but honestly, do you really really need two bedrooms? As long as it fits good for you, you'll be fine.

And if anyone of this whole thing is making your heart race - really understand that it's coming from a place of change, take deep slow breaths, and just picture mentally how awesome it will be.

By sounds of it, you just want to get out of that building, basically. And since it does cost more to head in a totally different area, which costs more and can be harder for you.. maybe best bet is to just live it out in the cheaper area.. just NOT in that building...

Archived