Pursuing a meaningful life

Celadon

Because to take that active role you often have to get people motivated to work with you and humor is a great motivator. Also if you have causes and goals it should be fun in part to work towards them. My friend goes down south every year to help Habitat for Humanity and takes some teenagers with him. They work hard, help people and have a blast.

Deep, serious, fun, humorous are not mutually exclusive.

Making change happen takes energy, charisma, capacity to laugh at yourself, capacity to engage others in your cause, capacity to roll with the punches and make do with little. The cause may be serious or even dire, but bringing about change requires creativity and ingenuity.

Deep, serious, fun, humorous are not mutually exclusive.

Making change happen takes energy, charisma, capacity to laugh at yourself, capacity to engage others in your cause, capacity to roll with the punches and make do with little. The cause may be serious or even dire, but bringing about change requires creativity and ingenuity.

I agree with this, plus always keeping the end goal in mind.

I agree with all of this, but I find that "looking" at the problem (injustice, trafficking, poverty) makes me mad at why these things happen/exist. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. It's upsetting to think about the "bad guys" and how they're taking advantage of people, and also to think about why more isn't being done to stop what's going on.

The reason I said "meaningful life" is not to say this is the only way to live a meaningful life but to ask how you can engage with a serious issue but not let it take you over. The alternative of not caring isn't satisfying or necessarily ethical.

No one person is going to solve all the ills of the world. I can understand being upset about them I get upset about them too. But being upset and being paralyzed and just being mad at how the world is really solves nothing. If you can do one little thing every day to make the world better that helps to solve the ills of the world.

I agree that you have to think smaller sadly. It can be a hindrance thinking and dreaming too big, sometimes you just end up frustrated and overwhelmed and thinking what's the friggin point. I have been involved in some helping work and I remember the manager was telling us of abuse towards kids, verbal, physical, overall discrimination and she told us a couple of stories that just angered me so much. But she was angry too and she told us 'this is not science fiction this stuff actually happens and we are here to do something about it'. I felt so good after that, so empowered, the 'anger' fuelled me, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be pissed off at the world as long as you realise that you won't be able to solve it all. But do your bit and don't let anyone tell you you have no impact, if you are a combination of someone who is organised and compassionate you can do a lot for the world.

On another note how come are you concerned of being too serious/lacking humour? Is this something you have noticed in yourself, are you worried you will friends over it?

I agree with all of this, but I find that "looking" at the problem (injustice, trafficking, poverty) makes me mad at why these things happen/exist. I know I'm not alone in feeling this way. It's upsetting to think about the "bad guys" and how they're taking advantage of people, and also to think about why more isn't being done to stop what's going on.

The reason I said "meaningful life" is not to say this is the only way to live a meaningful life but to ask how you can engage with a serious issue but not let it take you over. The alternative of not caring isn't satisfying or necessarily ethical.

Because if you spend all that time being angry/worrying that can become self-absorbed and detract and distract from time spent helping people in small or large ways. You choose not to let it take you over because of your overriding desire to be helpful in a productive way.

The trick is to be aware of the issue, recognize a reaction of anger is actually a source of energy for you to use either for good (change, action, discernment) or bad (bitterness, lashing out, divisiveness), and to transform that energy into something uplifting (which can be humor, compassion, connection, encouragement, inspiration) and productive. If you only react with anger you run the risk of dispair and burn-out, which helps no-one.

I agree with Vic, i f you can do one little thing every day to make the world better and if you even help just one person, you make it easier for them to help another, and it can spread exponentially.

Thanks everyone for your great advice and perspective. I'm really impressed that you are helping people in your lives.

On another note how come are you concerned of being too serious/lacking humour? Is this something you have noticed in yourself, are you worried you will friends over it?

You know, I need to learn to use anger in positive ways, like people are suggesting. What I'm hearing everyone say (and I agree) is that you mostly motivate people through using humor, energy, relationships, and anger doesn't have much to do with that. My concern about being too serious is that people who get upset about issues often feel overwhelmed and then they rant and put other people off. I remember one guy friend who had a gripe about something that was legit but he just wouldn't let go of it. I've noticed it in myself sometimes, and a friend or two has mentioned that I take things too seriously.

Hi Celadon - I truly believe the path to a "Meaningful Life" - in other words being fullfilled - results from Growth and Contribution. I think Victoria66 said it right when she said being upset and paralized does nothing for the cause. Take a step back and look outside the box for options! Look at many of the greats out there like Nelson Mandela who were personally violated and how they used the opportunity to make a difference!

How do you live a deep and meaningful life without becoming too serious, humorless or not fun?.

On the contrary, a meaningful life to me is one that is filled with laughter, fun, light and positivity.

I truly want this world to be a better place and I want to always aim to bring positivity and happiness into my own life and the life of those around me. This means endeavouring to have a positive, happy interaction with EVERYONE I meet. And I mean everyone. That means the cashier at the grocery store, that means the driver of the public transit bus I take, the receptionist at my dentist's office, the homeless person who asks me for money on the street, right up to my acquaintances, colleagues, friends, close friends and family.

I went to a funeral the other day and paid attention to all of the friends and family who showed up. It occurred to me that a meaningful life is one where you are surrounded by people who love you, cherish you and support you throughout good and bad. You find people like that by building positive, happy and healthy relationships with those around you.

Archived