I think my girlfriend is cheating on me. Real advise and opinions please!

confusedjeff

My girlfriend and her brother & sister-in-law live in the same house, different units. Last week when I met the dad of my girlfriend’s sister-in-law for the first time, he was surprised I was the one introduced to him as my girlfriend’s boyfriend. He commented afterwards how he thought my girlfriend’s boyfriend was a black man. Whatever the color, now I’m thinking that he saw another guy go in or come out of my girlfriend’s apartment.

Ask her, maybe it was a misunderstanding, perhaps he was thinking of a different sister in law or one of her friends or something, maybe the sister in law mentioned something to him and he made an assumption you were black, I can think of several other possibilities that could lead to this type of misunderstanding. Unless there's other things going on, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. Ask about it.

Thanks for the reply. It's not the first time my gut tells me something is off, it was just the most clear situation so far. Sis-in-law and gf live in same building so he frequents there. And there is no other sis-in-law. Before that her best friend had been making a few hints at girls liking black guys or not. Again, whatever color, it just shows that he must have seen her with someone else before meeting me. Only been dating for 4 months.

Previous boyfriend maybe? I'd suggest asking her, tell her what the father said and what you've been feeling, hopefully it's just a misunderstanding. you could even casually ask the sis in law about his comment, perhaps she could shed some light on it, too. Good luck!

If you don't want to directly ask I have two thoughts: 1. Just tell her what the sis in law's father said and casually ask if she knows why he'd think that, not in accusing way, just like hey I thought it was strange/caught me off guard. OR 2. Go on as if nothing has changed. I guess there's a third option, if you aren't comfortable w/ her and don't feel like you can trust her then break it off for that reason.

I agree - you should ask her, trust is important. If she can`t trust you and you can`t trust her - it wont work for you guys.

And it makes me wonder why her father would make a comment like that anyway. I mean he SHOULD understand that it is a very provocative thing to say.

Too bad you didn't ask her why he'd think that right then and could have this all cleared up, huh? Crud!! If you aren't comfortable w/ the relationship, maybe it's best to let it go. This is obviously weighing heavily on you so if you want to try to keep the relationship I'd ask her about it, like I said in previous post, don't come at her like you think she's cheating, just say hey this is what your sis in law said, why would he think that?

It kind of sounds like you have doubts about this girl and the relationship in general though so maybe just cutting ties now is the answer, only you can decide.

I confronted her once before because I felt she was secretive with what I would see on her phone while she was texting, but brushed that off as paranoia since I've been cheated on before. She assured me I could look at anything I want on her phone but my gut still told me otherwise. I feel if I confront her again it would end the "trust" between us. I didn't feel any of this with my last girlfriend so it makes me wonder why now. Again, I have to stress the fact that what colour he thought her boyfriend was is irrelevant to me, but he clearly expected a different looking guy when he met me for the first time.

LIke I said, I can easily think of at least 10 reasons there could have been this misunderstanding but truly I have no idea about any of it. If you want to keep the relationship you either need to ask in a way that's not accusatory or confrontational, like I said just this is what your sis in law said, why would he think that? OR do your best to forget about the comment and continue on as if everything is normal.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Before this comment by her sister-in-law's dad, here are the things that made me think something was up before, but I brushed them all off up until that point:

1) Her flirting with a black waiter at a restaurant (or at least what I saw as a quick flirt at the table)

2) Her best friend making a comment to me while she was there: "Once you go black you never go back"

3) That same best friend making a point in conversation at another time that she herself has never been attracted to black guys

4) Me getting the feeling that I shouldn't see everything she writes on her phone (although she denied that was the case)

5) More than once, her reasoning to me when a guy is rude to her is always: "He just has a small penis syndrome"

6) Seeing a pic of her dance with a black man on vacation on her Facebook page.

Again I need to stress, he could be black, yellow or white, for me it is just the fact that all the things and signs have to do with the same subject matter, something I haven't encountered before.

I know the color isn't the issue, I'm just assuming you aren't black and that he thought she was dating a black man put up the red flags for you because that meant it's NOT you. Unless the pic on FB was while you were dating I don't see how any of these means she's cheating.

Archived