Making new friends after college

lovingtheextra

So it has been about 18 months or so since I got done with college. I had friends in college and after graduation the only friends you stick with are the good ones. So after graduation I had four solid friends that I would hang out with. Two of them moved out of state, one just disappeared ever since he started dating and the last one is the one I still hang out with.

Really nothing to complain on this end. He is a good and reliable friend. But I can't just base my whole social life on one or two friends. I wanted to expand my social network but I find it hard to do that after college. I work 60 hours a week, workout and then have to cook and prepare for the next day. So I don't get that much time.

I know that people say you can make friends through different meet up groups. So I wanted to try those and see where it takes me. I was wondering in trying to make friends through such means is it easier to go with another friend or just go by yourself.

Also I went to a tech school so having female friends was not even more scarce and it would be nice to have some. If anyone experienced the same thing I would like to hear how you managed to make friends after college.

Honestly it is harder to maintain friendships after college because everyone is going in different directions with their careers, getting married, settling with kids, etc. I keep in contact with my people periodically, but they all live in different corners of the world (Japan, Hawaii, North Carolina, South Korea, South Africa, China, Florida, Germany, California, Canada, etc).

Some people mingle with people in their career field or participate in social adult activities. I have met people through link removed when I moved to a state where I knew nobody.

I've made good friends through meetup groups when moving around. Yes, go by yourself. It makes meeting new people and getting kind of taken into the fold easier than if you just come with a friend. You'll just end up sticking to your friend. Also, best people I met were in sports or activity type groups like tennis, hiking, etc. I'd say seek out groups that do things that interest you and you'll find like minded people there that you easily click with. The big generic social groups I thought were more of a crap shoot - too many people from too many different walks of life. Harder to identify those you are on the same wavelength with even if the social events overall are fun to attend and everyone is friendly.

Archived