Leyla

I have this friend at uni that I really like. Let's call him H. H. and I are close, but not too close. Let's just say we're good friends, but not so much that it would be impossible for us to date. I got to know him about six months ago, but nothing ever really happened between us because I was involved in this complicated situation with another guy (let's call him Y.). H. also had a girlfriend at the time, so I never tried anything. Y. really hurt me, many times, sometimes in H.'s presence, but H. was always there to support me. One time I was crying after a fight with Y., and H. brought me some tissues and stayed with me until I calmed down (I barely knew him at the time). A few months later, after an other fight with Y., he found me crying on a bench and offered me ice-cream to console me. He made it clear to me several times that I should forget Y., and although Y. and him are close friends, he made me understand that Y. is not a good person and certainly not a good person for me. During the summer, whenever it was hot outside, H. would go to the vending machine and buy me a drink. If I got cold, he'd give me his jacket. When I got in trouble with something, he always tried his best to make time to help me. When I went home to my country for two weeks, he kept contact with me and sent me messages almost every day. If I look sad, or troubled, he notices instantly and asks me what's wrong. We've flirted once or twice, but our relationship so far has been strictly friendship-based. He's got the most heart-warming smile I've ever seen in a guy, and I guess that I was so buried in pain over Y. that I never took the chance to look at H. in any other way than friendship.

Anyway, today H. told me he broke up with his girlfriend a month ago and that he's now single. Personally, I feel like I've recovered from the roller-coaster of a heartbreak I was on with Y. and that it's time for me to broaden my horizons and look for someone different. I'm starting to wonder if H. couldn't be this person. I wouldn't say I'm particularly attracted to him, and we don't have a lot in common except for our love for animals, but the guys I tend to be attracted to always turn up to be terrible people who drag my heart through the mud. I'd like to try something different, and he seems like a really nice guy.

Should I start pursuing him or should I just stay friends with him?

Your choice... do you want to 'ruin' the friendship you've got now? cause that'll happen IF you go further than this.

Not sure how long you and Y were together or how long you've been apart now?

Sometimes we DO need some real time away from another relationship for a while in order to 'accept & heal' from the last one.

How about H? How long were they together? Maybe HE shld take some down time as well.

So- if you're willing to take it further, you may want to make sure you are BOTH not damaged from your previous relationships. That can easily damper a new attempt.

Suggesting caution maybe.. for a bit longer. I understand how thoughtful & kind he's been... BUT...think twice.

Archived