Open Club  ·  24 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

One day I realized all I really wanted to do in life was to travel the world

malvy

But not in a very expensive and luxurious way (I don't even have money for that), more along the lines of a backpacker of limited resources or of a young sailor from the birth of the past century.

That was about 6 years ago, and I still have yet to go anywhere outside my country since I made that choice (I have travelled places before that night in which I had my epiphany). In my defence, I was merely on my second year of college around that time and for some reason came to the conclusion I needed to get my college degree first in order to do so.

Well, I ended up finishing college a while ago, but last year I also discovered one of my other life fantasies could actually be more plausible than I was always led to believe (mostly by myself), which is to make it to professional tennis. And even though I will be joining very late to the party, its beginning to look like I could actually make it after all, and I really really want it.

So, to not bore you all even more, I have decided to stick with tennis, which means I will be delaying my life of travelling even more, until my early 30s. So I guess I just wanted to ask all of you well travelled guys if you think I will be missing a lot in life by not immersing myself into travelling during my 20s, and if it really is that much of a different experience doing it during the 30s instead (I get the feeling that it might be a less romantic and life changing experience)?

Anyway, thanks to anyone who had the patience to read such a long post. (BTW, I don't know how that cool face ended up in the title, but I guess it sort of fits in an ironic way)

But not in a very expensive and luxurious way (I don't even have money for that), more along the lines of a backpacker of limited resources or of a young sailor from the birth of the past century......

Well, I have had similar dreams. Same thing happened with me, I wanted to travel but chose to complete my college first!

I came out of the college got a great job and eventually got married. I used to work in a major corporation, I have a family with three kids. I left the job 2 years back now I work as a consultant.. The responsibilities have increased and now in the next coming few years it seems like a distant dream to me..

If anybody has such plans, I would suggest to just go for it... with time, the responsibilities increase and all these dreams take a back seat!

I thinks its a great idea if you want to go for it and the resources to do it. Lots of people find themselves after traveling or backpacking. I would love to hike the fjords in Norway or live it up in Spain, Brazil, or Costa Rica!

Why not compromise? You don't need to take off years. Take a month in your off/slow training season time for tennis, grab a backpack, head to Europe and do it. You will learn quick enough if fantasy and reality meet up for you or not. Heck, you can even incorporate your training with your travels, if you have some funds. Stop off for training in different countries, facilities, etc. See how different coaches work, learn new things, new techniques, different training philosophies. Kind of a like a series of clinics that you are backpacking to. Don't limit yourself because there will never be a perfect time in life. You just have to get creative and figure out how to do it and fit it all in.

Why not compromise? You don't need to take off years. Take a month in your off/slow training season time for tennis, grab a backpack, head to Europe and do it. You will learn quick enough if fantasy and reality meet up for you or not. Heck, you can even incorporate your training with your travels, if you have some funds. Stop off for training in different countries, facilities, etc. See how different coaches work, learn new things, new techniques, different training philosophies. Kind of a like a series of clinics that you are backpacking to. Don't limit yourself because there will never be a perfect time in life. You just have to get creative and figure out how to do it and fit it all in.

Gotta say that was a great reply. I have already thought about taking a month at the end of each season to backpack and hitch hike (like taking next November to do so and then be back in December for pre season), but the thought of mixing training with travelling never crossed my mind. Seriously doubt my finances could hold up if I do something like this, but maybe I could find a way, who knows?

Thank you! I will have to give this some serious thought.

Very few people realize what they really want from life. u r lucky u r one of them!

if you really want to travel the world (the way you want), you should go for this.

Yeah, I still remember the night in which I figured it out, and I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful moments of my life. I had never seen things so clearly. But it also can be so painful knowing exactly what you want and not being able to make it happen, or not knowing how to do so. So I really don't know if I am that lucky.

I agree that the idea of taking years off to backpack around Europe is unrealistic for most people without a trust fund. However, you COULD target an area and go pick a place to go to for a few days or a few weeks. And then go home. And then pick another place. That is more life-realistic. And with a goal so big as travelling for months or years - you will only disappoint yourself because it is just not usually realistic. And maybe competitive tennis will take you somewhere. Also, you have a lifetime to travel, but your life in professional tennis is limited to how long you can play without injury and youth is on your side. You can travel now all the way through senior citizen-hood

Go for it man. I did a ton of traveling when I was in college. Europe, Japan, Italy. I think I took advantage of it cause the opportunities were there. Europe is perfect for backpacking. You grab a backpack, a europass (train) and your travel about. It's awesome.

That sounds awesome, I bet you most be full of interesting stories (and tips) to share.

I have always wanted to do the Europass thing, but never really had the money to do so (until very recently).

I agree that the idea of taking years off to backpack around Europe is unrealistic for most people without a trust fund. However, you COULD target an area and go pick a place to go to for a few days or a few weeks. And then go home. And then pick another place. That is more life-realistic. And with a goal so big as travelling for months or years - you will only disappoint yourself because it is just not usually realistic. And maybe competitive tennis will take you somewhere. Also, you have a lifetime to travel, but your life in professional tennis is limited to how long you can play without injury and youth is on your side. You can travel now all the way through senior citizen-hood

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with that. That's exactly why Im prioritizing tennis now, because I won't get another chance to do so (unlike travelling), its either now or never. However, the thought of travelling through senior citizen-hood doesn't really sound that exciting for me, my fantasy has always been to do so while young. Hence my dilemma.

Gotta say that was a great reply. I have already thought about taking a month at the end of each season to backpack and hitch hike (like taking next November to do so and then be back in December for pre season), but the thought of mixing training with travelling never crossed my mind. Seriously doubt my finances could hold up if I do something like this, but maybe I could find a way, who knows?

Thank you! I will have to give this some serious thought.

Well backpacking using the EuroRail and staying in hostels is quite cheap. If you time your travels right, you can travel/sleep on the train through the night and skip additional hotel costs. You don't need to take a hardcore training week. If funds are limited, getting a lesson or two here and there would be cool. Use your connections in the sport. Tell your coach what you'd like to do and see if he/she knows of anyone or has some connections they can put you in touch with, etc. Again, be creative. You might even pick up some offers of staying overnight here and there which will save you a buck and make for a fun journey.

Other than that, consider non-traditional destinations while you are young around different parts of the world. You can find groups, expeditions heading to certain parts of the world online and see if their schedules match yours or if you can make it work. There are some things you can only do while you are young and strong. Can't really go up a mountain with bad knees when you are 80. So if you can find a month or even two to three weeks, just do it.

Other than that, consider non-traditional destinations while you are young around different parts of the world. You can find groups, expeditions heading to certain parts of the world online and see if their schedules match yours or if you can make it work. There are some things you can only do while you are young and strong. Can't really go up a mountain with bad knees when you are 80. So if you can find a month or even two to three weeks, just do it.

Which kind of sites are these in which people make these sort of travel arrangements with each other? I've been researching about travelling for a few years now, but don't think I have ever came accross something like this. This sound like an interesting option. Im off to Google!

Once again, thanks for the great insight.

Archived