Is having 3 cats a deterrent to dating?

cupcake22

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always had cats (not 3 but there was a time when I had a female with kittens for a while) and it never prevented me from dating.

However, I'd advise you to mention the cats to someone as soon as possible, so, if it's a dealbreaker for him, you won't waste time and energy. There are many men out there who either love or just don't mind cats.

My ex-wife had 2 cats when we met, but she accumulated a mind-boggling 15 cats by the time I divorced her. And yes, that was a big reason I left.

Nowadays I'm ok with dating someone with up to 2 cats, but if their house/apt smells like pee, I'm outta there. I went through that situation too long before to let it happen again.

I have 3 beautiful cats, and I'm very adamant about living in a clean environment. My cats have never stopped me from being in relationships. In fact, all the guys I've been with loved animals (men who don't like/respect animals don't interest me in that way, as I know they would be incompatible). If it's a big deal for him, he's probably not the one

I think it is more a case of how you "live " with your fur babies .

for example I imagine walking in and finding cats walking all over food surfaces , licking plates and a litter tray full of cat business , a bed drowning in hairs , furniture you dare not sit on etc etc is what would bring about a "put off"

may I add ....I am not insinuating you do any of this hahah

I am total cat lover , I have two , george and rosie and they are fabulous .

I think it is more a case of how you "live " with your fur babies .

for example I imagine walking in and finding cats walking all over food surfaces , licking plates and a litter tray full of cat business , a bed drowning in hairs , furniture you dare not sit on etc etc is what would bring about a "put off"

totally agree with that sentiment

I wouldn't be put off someone who had cats (I have a couple myself, so perhaps am crazy cat man), so long as there wasn't overwhelming cat takeover of her life/home

crazy cat man

fab hahahaha

Yep.... I have Tilly, Raven and Marmite

And Marmite is almost *exactly* like "Simon's cat". I work as an IT manager, and when I work from home.... this is what at least one or two episodes are like - link removed

I've always had cats - and they've usually been a plus when I was dating. But the catbox is maintained daily to twice a day, and I have a loving relationship with my mini shop vac and swiffer.

After living with my in laws, where their dogs aren't completely housebroken, and accidents get mopped up less than what I'd consider thoroughly - and piddle pads are all over a couple of the bedrooms - after smelling the smell in their rooms - THAT would be a deal breaker for me, with anyone. And I say that as an owner of 5 cats (2 were abandoned by a next door neighbor as kittens when the house they were renting was foreclosed so we took them in) and one ornery BC mix pup. I adore animals. It doesn't mean I consider ill mannered ones, or filth resulting from them (or from anything else!) reasonable or livable with.

Yep.... I have Tilly, Raven and Marmite

And Marmite is almost *exactly* like "Simon's cat". I work as an IT manager, and when I work from home.... this is what at least one or two episodes are like - link removed

hahahahah that is EXACTLY what my george does ..I have been typing before now with him atcually on my arm haha

My ex-wife had 2 cats when we met, but she accumulated a mind-boggling 15 cats by the time I divorced her. And yes, that was a big reason I left.

Nowadays I'm ok with dating someone with up to 2 cats, but if their house/apt smells like pee, I'm outta there. I went through that situation too long before to let it happen again.

15 cats??? That really is mind-boggling.

I think three is pushing it, but it would depend on how you take care of them, and how you and the cats interact. I have a friend with five cats. His house is really clean and never smells like cat pee, and there isn't hair everywhere. But the cats walk all over the kitchen counter and the dinner table, which grosses me out. I wouldn't date somebody who let their cat walk on the counter while they were cooking!

Hah! Surely you don't believe that the cats can't take care of themselves when you go out on dates?

A cat lover isn't interested in pursuing anyone who doesn't like cats, so what, exactly, is your conflict?

Pretzel yourself for NOone. Your dates will be fewer, but they'll count. Anything less than true compatibility is a wheel spin and a waste of time, and that's useful for nobody but your cats--who love to watch.

Purr.

Archived