He applied for a home mortgage using my name without my permission :(

rose2summer

In follow-up to yesterday, I got an email from the credit bureau saying that my separated husband applied for a mortgage using my name. He gave them my social security number and all my information and when I called the mortgage company, they said he told them that I authorized the mortgage and my credit report being run, which I never did. I am trying to get in touch with my attorney but he is on vacation, I feel so disappointed and deceived. I would think it's illegal to authorize something under someone else's name?

It is illegal...it is called fraud. Call the bank/mortgage comapy and tell them you are NOT applying. That he is lying. Also, put it in writing and fax it to them. He will clearly falsify your signature. Get cracking or head to the poor house.

In follow-up to yesterday, I got an email from the credit bureau saying that my separated husband applied for a mortgage using my name. He gave them my social security number and all my information and when I called the mortgage company, they said he told them that I authorized the mortgage and my credit report being run, which I never did. I am trying to get in touch with my attorney but he is on vacation, I feel so disappointed and deceived. I would think it's illegal to authorize something under someone else's name?

It is. He had to have forged your signature, stolen your identity and submitted the forms fraudulently.

I hope you can reach your attorney.

He committed fraud and falsified your signature. They can't run your credit without your signed permission. As others said, send a letter to the mortgage company immediately to stop all action, that they are working on fraudulently obtained information. Call them, but always follow up in writing. As soon as your lawyer is back, get in touch. Before that, send your lawyer an e-mail and leave a message as well. Professionals will often check their e-mails even when away.

It's identity theft all right. Call your credit card right now and tell them the card was stolen. They'll cancel it and issue you a new one. Then call the mortgage company back and, if you haven't already, tell them your ex stole your credit card, it isn't his, you aren't married, and the card is shut off and to cancel the order, because you are pressing charges. Then find out where you press charges agains the ex for identity theft and do so. Your State Attorney General and/or credit card fraud department should be able to help you with that. And do not accept anything from anyone about how you are obligated to pay anything. Period.

This is a very serious matter. Also contact each of the 3 credit bureaus and put a freeze on your credit. This means no one can open any accounts/cards/loans without you unlocking the account. Added bonus they alert you when anyone tries. This link gives you an excellent rundown on how to do this and how to contact each of the 3 credit unions to do so. DO NOT purchase services promising to do this for you in one step--you need to contact each of these credit bureaus individually and this man explains how. Anything else is a scam. link removed

I had to do this after my elderly mother had a scammer get access to her credit cards and bank information. I contacted my state Attorney General who helped me file charges since they basically stole $10,000 plus tried to open credit cards/drained her current cards to the max. It was a nightmare and yes, you'll have to pay around $30 to $50 to get the credit freeze.

So price for lock on credit-$50.00 (maybe) Price on first time you get reports that someone tried to open cards in your name or get other financing and failed miserabley - priceless. Good luck and yes, as soon as you can reach the attorney get him in on it too. What a criminal!

EEEKKK!!!!

You need to get the WHOLE story. If the mortgage broker allowed your husband to "sign" for you without your presence there and just based on "his" word without any document of Power of Attorney for you they committed a crime too!!!!

Now if documents were faxed to your ex intended for you which you then had to sign and fax back authorizing for a credit check they would have no way of knowing that it wasn't you signing the form - leaving your ex soley on the hook.

A simple call from you to the Mortgage Company should have raised a huge red flag and halted everything BUT you need to document everything in writing to the company ASAP. Once your attorney is back in town he will pursue it but will advise you that if you want to file criminal charges you will have to contact your local prosecutors office.

One simple thing that can be done immediately is to contact the local police department and file a complaint but you will need some documentation from the mortgage company to show them.

Good Luck --- what a scum bag.

I would call all 3 credit agencies and put a fraud alert on your identity. That way if anybody is trying to apply for credit they would have to contact you directly. It happened to me by my ex and reporting it helped considerably.

Yup.

And if you don't have formal separation papers, get them now.

If you do, pay the pittance to file them with the court so you have documentation on file that your assets are separating. You can also include a copy of the separation agreement with your letter to the credit bureaus asking for the fraud alert. Make sure you include contact information that can't be falsified (like your employer) and request the employer be contacted for employment verification, and the call transferred to you - I had a "friend" get a credit card in my name after stealing one of my cards by putting in her contact information and when they called, she claimed to be me.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I talked to the mortgage company and they said my separated husband gave his real estate agent verbal authorization and said I authorized it and gave her my name and social security number which she then emailed to the mortgage company, and I apparently was never going to be notified except that I have set up notifications with the credit bureau with any credit changes. It dropped my credit score from their inquiry.

I told the mortgage company person and he said they can accept verbal authorization without signature. So disappointed that he stole my identity to apply for a mortgage for a house. The mortgage company said they are stopping the process based on my call but who knows what he'll try next. Definitely going to apply for the identity theft monitoring suggested, thanks everyone.

It is illegal...it is called fraud. Call the bank/mortgage comapy and tell them you are NOT applying. That he is lying. Also, put it in writing and fax it to them. He will clearly falsify your signature. Get cracking or head to the poor house.

THIS! Do this ASAP.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone!

I talked to the mortgage company and they said my separated husband gave his real estate agent verbal authorization and said I authorized it and gave her my name and social security number which she then emailed to the mortgage company, and I apparently was never going to be notified except that I have set up notifications with the credit bureau with any credit changes. It dropped my credit score from their inquiry.

I told the mortgage company person and he said they can accept verbal authorization without signature. So disappointed that he stole my identity to apply for a mortgage for a house. The mortgage company said they are stopping the process based on my call but who knows what he'll try next. Definitely going to apply for the identity theft monitoring suggested, thanks everyone.

That sounds like a good plan. And certain talk to your lawyer ASAP about this.

As a former loan officer, I agree with all the advice given above. If you want to go one further step, and I definitely would in your case, you should look into a 'Lifelock' type of service. This service is very powerful and will definitely help you sleep at night. The only downside is, it will cost you some money. A very small price to pay compared to being on the hook for a house. But I can tell you from personal experience from dealing with former clients, it works wonders when protecting your credit. The only one who will be able to lift the 'lock' will be you, even if he does have your ss# and other sensitive info.

I am not affiliated with that service, it has been advertised on TV for years. I am merely offering a suggestion. Best of luck to you.

Archived