Have you ever lied about somethings you never did?

MMT

I think one of the reasons we lie is that we want to show a better person than we are. We want to affect the others and make them kind of respect us. It can be about a trip we never made or meeting someone famous we never did etc.

How often do you do that?

Is it related with lack of self-esteem?

What do you do if your partner (or someone close to you) lies to you in this way?

Would like to hear about your experiences.

Do you not see the irony in lying in order to make someone believe you are a better/more interesting version of you? It is like selling smoke!

Either be that better version, find friends who are less shallow... or best of all...learn to believe that you, as you are...is enough.

How often do you do that? I occasionally did it when I was a teenager, later in life I'd done more stuff so I didn't have to lie about it

Is it related with lack of self-esteem? Yes, I think it is. The need to impress at any cost

What do you do if your partner (or someone close to you) lies to you in this way? I'd think that was awfully strange and a big red flag.

Some exaggeration is fine by me. I tell people that I once met Robbie Williams (the singer) but really, I saw him at the airport and said "hey Robbie" and he kinda waved at me so really I didn't actually met him as such, but we did have an exchange even though I doubt he remembers it.

I said lies about my family. I did not say my parents always had arguements and we always had financial problems. Just pretended everythings were in a good way in my family.

Exaggerations?! I did. About the trip to africa. It was 10 days, but I said to some friends it was 2 months. Actually I wished I could stay for 2 months.

This topic came into my mind when someone (a doctor ) posted an interview of himself in facebook. Although that interview was totally fake.

The ONLY time I lie is if I'm telling a casual funny story to a group of people. I tend to get in moods where I just have people rolling and I will occasionally slip in a very small lie to make my story better or more funny but that's about it. I've never lied about going on trips? or anything...that's not good.

Archived