Feel stuck, please help!

I don't know what to do as a career/financial stability in the future

I've lived a very sheltered life and now is the time I decide how I am going to be able to make it once I am on my own. I cannot find a min wage job in my city and moving sounds like an extremely scary decision.

I know I can do a lot of the high-cognitive careers, but I don't want to. I have no motivation at all to pursue the "generic" paths.

I play violin and I love studying it. I invest a lot of energy into the boring details and theory to improve my play and overall skill. I put a lot of thought into it than anyone would really want. I suppose it is a "passion". But it is such a risky ing career path.

I don't know what to do. I feel stuck. I don't want to go to school for anything, I legitimately CANT acquire a minimum wage job no matter how hard I try and my only motivation in life is a long-shot.

May I ask, what's your age? And why is it that you can't find a min wage job and why are you so afraid of moving to a different city or country? I feel like I relate too well to what you're feeling about being stuck, but maybe our conditions are not as relatable and what has worked for me may not be useful for you in the least.

And trust me, I know about your only motivation being such a long shot, and how awful it is to feel like you won't be able to do the only thing you want to do.

May I ask, what's your age? And why is it that you can't find a min wage job and why are you so afraid of moving to a different city or country? I feel like I relate too well to what you're feeling about being stuck, but maybe our conditions are not as relatable and what has worked for me may not be useful for you in the least.

And trust me, I know about your only motivation being such a long shot, and how awful it is to feel like you won't be able to do the only thing you want to do.

I'm 22 and I can't find a minimum wage job due to the high competitiveness and crap economy in my city. My city has a 10% unemployment rate (it is more, but you know how governments play the numbers game with unemployment rate.)

I am afraid of moving because I've lived a sheltered existence and I never worked before.

Seems to me getting a job isn't even the issue here, as you have already said you simply can't get motivated to have a regular job. I feel like what's happening here (in part, because you have already say it) is that all you really want to do is to play the violin, yet, as of now, you really don't consider yourself skilled enough and you just can't afford pursuing it as a way of living. So it really comes down to this: either you find a way to really submerge yourself into the whole music culture or you find a way to get as much money as you can so that one day you can be a violinist without any worry in the world. If you already have rationalized all of this, then Im sorry to have wasted your time, but I think I need to make it clear first.

Okay, so now that we know the problem, let's then discuss some possible solutions. If you're interested in submerging yourself into the music culture, then I would recommend you going abroad, to Europe.There are a few European universities which offer scholarships to aspiring musicians, one acquaintance of mine back when I was in college told me about how he was offered a scholarship from some Dutch college to be a violinist, and he really wasn't all that good. So maybe that's something you could look into it. If not, I have heard that education in France is way cheaper than in america (though living expenses are certainly not, but I have heard there are programs for foreigner students, like living in community houses and such).

Now, if you're more interested in making money, then Im afraid to tell you there are simply no easy solutions, specially under this economy. However, there are a couple of ways in which you could make money way faster than others, but these are quite extreme. The first one (and Im not joking here), would be joining the military, quitting after two or three years and then becoming a mercenary (this is probably one of the faster ways there are of making money, but also one of the most dangerous, and it may lead you to lose your humanity). The other one I know, the one that actually worked for me, was playing on line poker (however, if you're american, then I don't think this is an option for you any more, and its actually very frustrating and time consuming, and will make you to neglect your family and your personal life, trust me).

Im just throwing out some ideas, there are simply no guarantees. Just remember that If you really want to move on, to become unstuck, you will have to move out from your comfort zone sooner or later. Life isn't easy, one day you may be forced to risk it all in order to make your dreams come true.

Being terrified isn't the same as having no choice, it just means you're too afraid of choosing something new. Sooner or later you will have to either jump out from your comfort zone and try something different or keep leading the same uninspiring life until the day you die. Its your choice mate, just remember we only get one shot at life and that's it (as far as we all know).

Being terrified isn't the same as having no choice, it just means you're too afraid of choosing something new. Sooner or later you will have to either jump out from your comfort zone and try something different or keep leading the same uninspiring life until the day you die. Its your choice mate, just remember we only get one shot at life and that's it (as far as we all know).

The OP is right about minimum wage jobs. With any minimum wage job you have to complete online applications which is part of the frustration. Seems like that is the only way to get a minimum wage job in 2013 so my advice would be to aim a little higher and contact and registered with a temp agency.

Atleast with a temp agency someone is speaking on your behalf instead of you trying to complete a long drawn out application which normally doesn't lead to a interview.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to undermine the op's concerns. His fears are all too relevant, specially for those of us trapped in the middle class.

The sad truth is that the system is designed to make it extra difficult for all of us (middle class people) to go after the things we really want in life, so that in the end the big majority of us ends up giving up and the status quo can be maintained. And then it gets to the point that even minimum wage jobs are almost impossible to find, so that we actually end up feeling grateful towards the system when we finally find a bone to chew from.

So, like I said before, I know very well where the OP is coming from. I was merely trying to make him see that just because the system tries to force us to play the game in a certain way doesn't mean there aren't other ways to play it.

Archived