RuedeRivoli

Online dating is starting to bug me because I believe people can be rude at times.

This guy visited my profile and I thought he was pretty attractive stating : "You're pretty cute. Too bad I didn't meet guys like you back when I was in [city name]".

Then he was like: "You're an attractive lady yourself! Plenty more cute fish in the sea."

What's with the last sentence? Is this rejection? I find it quite rude ... He could have just ignored my message and never responded.

I don't think he was being rude. Your message didn't sound like you were actually interested in him but just giving him a compliment. His message sounded like encouragement for your dating adventures in your current city.

Don't overinterpret stuff.

If online dating isn't your thing, you can try meeting men in real life.

Online dating is starting to bug me because I believe people can be rude at times.

This guy visited my profile and I thought he was pretty attractive stating : "You're pretty cute. Too bad I didn't meet guys like you back when I was in [city name]".

Then he was like: "You're an attractive lady yourself! Plenty more cute fish in the sea."

What's with the last sentence? Is this rejection? I find it quite rude ... He could have just ignored my message and never responded.

I'm a little confused - Are you writing to guys who live in your city now, or to guys in your old city? Because your email to him makes it sound like you're not interested in him, and he's just writing back.

Relax, he's just bantering along with you and trying to point out that there are plenty of cute people out there. It wasn't the most well thought-out comment maybe, but I don't see any malicious intent at all. He's not dissing you, he's trying to mirror wha you're saying to get you to like him or notice him a bit more. AND he paid you a compliment, so banter back already. Then if he turns out to be a jerk at least you'll know it rather than always wonder.

I agree with the others. People can be rude in real life too. Don't date online. Use online sites to meet people you think you have things in common with as soon as possible in person. I'd avoid joking around in typed messages to strangers because of the risk of misunderstandings.

No, it's not rejection, anymore than your comment of "guys like you." (Note you didn't say, "Too bad I didn't meet you when I lived in [city name].) He's saying there are surely cute people available nearer to your new city.

Archived