Is it ok for a building manager/superintendent to get involved with a tenant?

Wonderstruck

I used to work as an engineer, we did all the fixing but no cleaning like supers- and we were not allowed to talk to anyone in the building. It didnt stop me from reacting to a receptionists advances- until she got caught leaving my office- so we cut it off and hid it from everyone.

But, a super in a building where they LIVE in is far more personal. But, its not like it wont be the first time.

Yes, I think it's right up there with having a relationship with someone you work with. If things go wrong at any point in the future at best it's a recipe for serious awkwardness. At worst it's a recipe for all sorts of nightmarish retaliation and revenge-type scenarios that usually end with one or the other person having to leave or getting tossed out on their ears by the higher ups--in this case the owner of the building. My sister is a resident manager over several buildings--they aren't even allowed to make friends with the tenats and are told to be professional at all times. Friendly and nice yes, but no fraternizing as it were. At first my sister thought this was way harsh, but after she'd had a few chats and even a cup of coffee with a seemingly very nice tenant she started to get a total rash of shyte from the woman about paying the rent on time. She finally told my sister since they were friends she expected her to stick up for her and smooze the owner into letting her slide. She pitched a hissy fit too when my sister basically had to take her to the tenancy branch and have her evicted for nonpayment of the rent. Lesson learned: you don't get personally involved with people when you're a resident manager. It nearly got my sister fired over the whole mess, but fortunately the owner liked her and understood the former tenant had manipulated her a bit, taking advantage of the fact she was new to the job.

So no, don't be getting involved with your building manager. You could get him fired and as I recall he's sort of ducked you in the past and there's the reason why. He may not want to just come out and say it, but the fact is you're putting him in a very bad position and he knows it. This is definitely one of those, "Don't take a crap where you eat/live" sort of scenarios. Find somene else.

So no, don't be getting involved with your building manager. You could get him fired and as I recall he's sort of ducked you in the past and there's the reason why.He may not want to just come out and say it, but the fact is you're putting him in a very bad position and he knows it. This is definitely one of those, "Don't take a crap where you eat/live" sort of scenarios. Find somene else.

I think you must be getting me confused with somebody else - I've never posted about a situation like this on the forum before.

I really appreciate this post though. The only thing is...what if you're the tenant, and you have no intention of trying to abuse any type of relationship to avoid paying rent on time or getting special privileges/getting away with things that other tenants wouldn't get away with? What if you're actually a really good tenant who always pays their rent on time, is quiet, courteous and plays by the rules? Would you still say that it's a bad idea?

My sister is a resident manager over several buildings--they aren't even allowed to make friends with the tenats and are told to be professional at all times. Friendly and nice yes, but no fraternizing as it were.

Do you think that rule applies to all building managers/superintendents? As in, do you think that every apartment building company has the same rules about superintendents fraternizing with tenants? What if the building manager in question is only the building manager/superintendent for that particular building, and doesn't oversee several buildings like your sister does?

I think you must be getting me confused with somebody else - I've never posted about a situation like this on the forum before.

Sorry about that, you're right--I got you mixed with someone else. And it doesn't matter what your intentions are, the point is things like what happened with my sister are why resident managers and the like are often told not to get personal with the tenants for any reason. I have no idea if all buildings have the same rules or not. It's not a law that I know of per se, but probably more of a policy similar to the whole or not. Alot of it likely depends on the owner(s) and whether they've had to deal with drama like what happened with my sister.

If I owned property and I had a resident manager/superintendent I would implement that rule--no exceptions. Both to protect my resident manager and me AND to protect the tenants. It's a very difficult thing when people have to live and/or work closely together. You try to keep things professional and avoid personal entanglements that can cause all sorts of problems that no one wants.

Archived