Can you fall in love with someone when you've never met them?

Melissa Carlin

You haven't technically been with him yet, so it's a hard call. Even those whom see each other regularly have fights.

I do feel you can come to have those 'feelings', yes. (Not sure how long you've been involved?).

I went on a 3 yr LTR. Didn't end well. We met 2 x's in that time span. Spoke most days online. Just didn't work and I came to realize & accept that.

You can absolutely fall in love with your perception of a person based on your interactions. Whether it is a true representation of that person does not change the way you feel about them, but it may not be a "true" sense of falling in love with a person because of this.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you fall in love with someone when you've never met them? .

Yes--but you fall in love with who you think they are and not who they are. You can fall in love with words---google search that stuff because they could be using scam letters written for that purpose.

Insist upon meeting within 1 week of exchanging site emails. Don't give out your contact information until you've seen them in person. That is my best advice born out of recent experience.

Always "get the receipts", as my daughter says. Receipts = legitimacy. Always verify that they are who they say they are.

It's a definite NO for me. I need to see and feel the person in the flesh before I am able to form any feelings for him.

I guess one can become infatuated with the idea of the person, with their projection, but it's a dangerous proposition, because everybody presents themselves in the best possible light online, and the reality can and usually is a rude awakening.

Archived