90 Day Workout Challenge...Who's in?

JA0371

Hey all, was on a 4.5 day road trip where I racked up 2000 miles.

We went on a lot of walks, hikes but nothing really too strenuous. Ate out a few times once I ran out of food I prepared, but it wasn't too horrible.

But I did have a great workout on Tuesday: Mostly an upper body workout, and then cardio

...so great in fact I was too sore for Wednesday.

Tonight is either Yoga or some more weightlifting, we'll see how I feel after work

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DAY 4.

Today will be a full day. Work from 9-4:30, dinner with my son 5pm-6ish, then we will go see Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer (the musical live) at 7:30pm. I knew today there would be no time to squeeze in a workout. Thus, I actually got out of bed and went to the tiny apartment community gym which only has two treadmills. They were occupied. As a result, I went back in the apartment, changed into warmer clothes (the temperature outside at the time was 37 degrees C), and jogged 2.4 miles around the neighborhood.

I think I have overcome the "inertia" of being at rest.

Starting up again tomorrow! I've had something to do every night this week, and I didnt want to leave the kitten alone for so long (it's bad enough she's alone from 7:30AM until around 6/6:30 PM as it is). Plus, my trainer said he wants me to bulk up...and since I don't need to do as much cardio or workout my legs (which are already "soccer player" status lol), I've been doing just fine with 3 days a week.

But I really do want to do at least 4 days a week!

Starting up again tomorrow! I've had something to do every night this week, and I didnt want to leave the kitten alone for so long (it's bad enough she's alone from 7:30AM until around 6/6:30 PM as it is). Plus, my trainer said he wants me to bulk up...and since I don't need to do as much cardio or workout my legs (which are already "soccer player" status lol), I've been doing just fine with 3 days a week.

But I really do want to do at least 4 days a week!

I think four days is plenty! That's my goal...with my crazy schedule. I'm not going to beat myself up if I can't do more than that. After the 1st of the year, I'll hit it harder!

Day 3 - still a little bit sore from overdoing the inner thighs. However, dove in in good spirits for the rest.

Ended up doing 2x22 minute cycle/spin workouts (about 7 miles according to the display of wonder) and about 20 minutes on some of the circuit weight equipment on areas NOT including the inner thighs lol.

So over an hour total today, broken into two workouts. REALLY good day and didn't overstrain. Tomorrow I figure I'll do at least one easy bike run, and depending on how my body feels, the weights for the areas I missed today.

I think four days is plenty! That's my goal...with my crazy schedule. I'm not going to beat myself up if I can't do more than that. After the 1st of the year, I'll hit it harder!

I think even 3 days is enough to get by, so long as your diet is very clean. But yeah, my goal is 4 days a week as well.

Going to run for about 5 miles tonight since I haven't done cardio in over a week now!

Ended up doing one 22 minute bike run this morning - a harder one, instead of setting completely manual, did the random hill climbing. And I could definitely feel the difference. Did a relatively easy 17 minutes this afternoon on manual because I'm not sure I'll be able to get back to the gym tonight.

I know it seems I'm breaking things into ridiculously small amounts - but the way my day flows, it seems to give me more in the long run than never quite being able to budget an entire hour at one time.

My goal is for 5 days a week - 3 of them including weights, all of them cardio at least until I hit my goals - then I'll probably alternate weight training and cardio days. Today was day 4 - so I'm on track this week despite the late start if I can just squeeze in ONE run this weekend.

I lost a pound this last week, so at 159! I gave up on the dead treadmill and turned to an old but good workout using kettlebells. I've been a bit sore, but it definitely gives me a workout and in less time than a treadmill would too. And I got a water bottle to drink a ton of water since that seems to help.

Now if I can just overcome the very bad habit of late night eating. It's so frutstrating, because during the day I eat healthy, watch the calories, indulge a little here and there but mangage to stay good. Then 10:00 p.m. rolls around and voila, the cravings hit with a vengeance. If I go to sleep early it'll wake me up and if I have insomnia it's horrid. Anyone else struggle with this and what did you do to overcome it? I've tried exercise, watching TV, reading, working, sleeping to overcome it but still. It's so stupid and senseless too, it's not like I'm even really hungry, just suddenly ravenous for the most awful foods like melted cheese sandwiches drenched in butter and ice cream. I didn't have this issue until about a year ago and it's been there ever since. I always thought it was just because I was so active living on a ranch, but right now I'm at my mom's place and it's still a bad habit and one that's packing on the pounds since I'm not buring it off riding horses or cleaning out stalls, etc.

At this rate my little mare isn't going to want to let me ride her when I go home for Christmas.

Day 5 - thanks to MCFH (menstrual cramps from hell) I didn't go to the gym today. It was honestly all I could do to crawl to the kitchen and make lunch for the kiddos. Tomorrow - we'll see what gives. Hopefully the progesterone will make this short and sweet, and I can jump back on track in short order.

Anyone who eats vegetarian or mostly - I could use some veg recipe suggestions. This 5-6 vegetable portions daily is challenging - I like veggies, but I feel like I'm turning into a rabbit. Doing veg burgers for some variety. I even tried Brussels Sprouts again (a hated one from childhood) to give 'em a second shot. Still don't care for them, but in the name of the fight for variety, I even choked about 2-3 cups of those down.

Veggie tip: get yourself a little metal steamer and/or a microwave steamer. Then keep summer squash, the yellow variety, and zuchini and baby carrots on hand. Chop up and throw into the steamer and then season with a bit of olive oil and sea salt, voila. Instant veggie quotient filled. I also crave radishes and cucumbers with hummus and that helps when I get to the point I just can't eat any more salad without feeling like I'm going to start whinnying.

There are probably other recipes out there, but I'm a really lazy cook so this does it. I also throw my salads together on the weekend when I can to just have mixed and ready to dump in a bowl. During the week if I have to fix it, it won't get eaten so this is how I try and get more veggies into the diet.

And sorry to hear about the menstrual cramps, I used to get them so bad. Weirdly enough for me doing bicycle movements on my back helped--i.e. laying on the floor you raise your legs and move your legs as if you're riding an imaginary bike. I don't know why that worked, just that it helped. They've toned down as I've gotten older, but still show up now and again when I'm having hot flashes. So not fair! Heating pad on the abdomen or back also helps me, just tips that may or may not help you.

The cafeteria where I used to work had a grilled veggie side item option. I wish I had a clue what seasoning they used before grilling - they did squash, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. I used to get a double side instead of an entree they were so good.

I'll have to try your suggestion. Been eating about 12 oz baby carrots every day since they're the easiest "go to" snackable on the fly. Green beans with a brush of olive oil tossed with lemon herb grill seasoning is another staple. Broccoli of course.

Some of those frozen steamer packs look pretty appealing - but they're pretty pricey.

I'm on the hunt for a homemade veggie burger recipe that appeals - that's another expensive item I figure maybe I could make cheaper.

TY for the crampy suggestions - I'm hoping this month being the first on the progesterone (was having difficulty with prolonged bleeding) the harsher cramps might just be my body adjusting. I'll try cycling on my back tonight while watching more Commish reruns

I'll try cycling on my back tonight while watching more Commish reruns

LOL I loved the Commish! That one's on my list of shows to rewatch. I love Michael Chiklis, phenomenal actor. I didn't like his show The Shield nearly as much though I did watch the first two seasons, in part because I couldn't get over The Commish being such a buff bad**s cop. I'll have to try the green beans recipe. Sorry to hear about the heavy bleeding, I went through that at the beginning of menopause and I was like, "Wait what, isn't this supposed to be going away? Not coming at me with a vengeance." It finally slowed down, but at first I was floored. Thankfully my doctor is one of those really calm people who doesn't hate you if you call her at 3:00 a.m. freaking out, because you think you're dying.

Hey everyone!!

So on Friday night I went to do Hot Power Sculpt Yoga. It was a complete ass wooping, I haven't sweat so much in a long time...and wow I love the feeling of walking out of class. I had an endorphin high out the wazoo and really missed that feeling.

Saturday morning I went with my crush climbing and another friend that I climb with. We had a lot of fun, and all went well until I tried a tough overhang and completely gave out. Forearms and abs are still sore from all the twisting...I want to climb more.

Sunday I ate very healthy but basically relaxed and slept most of the day...

Today I have my racquetball racket with me...hopefully to get a game in, if not I am considering Yoga...weights, or both.

On another note, I'm supposed to be going to Europe VERY soon...and wondering how I will keep up with exercise when there.

I did pretty well this weekend. I ran 5 miles on Saturday, and had a great back workout yesterday (was able to do 14 unassisted pull-ups, a personal best for me!). Tonight I have some things to take care of, but tomorrow I'm probably going to train either my chest or arms/shoulders. And my diet has been on point throughout, so I can get away with only doing 3 days a week (at least, for the next week or two until my schedule improves).

I want to start taking yoga classes in the New Year too, BigKK!!!

I did pretty well this weekend. I ran 5 miles on Saturday, and had a great back workout yesterday (was able to do 14 unassisted pull-ups, a personal best for me!). Tonight I have some things to take care of, but tomorrow I'm probably going to train either my chest or arms/shoulders. And my diet has been on point throughout, so I can get away with only doing 3 days a week (at least, for the next week or two until my schedule improves).

I want to start taking yoga classes in the New Year too, BigKK!!!

Do it! I was pulling two a days with yoga at the beginning of the summer. It honestly took me a month to really allow myself to "release" and get into the meditating. I was going for the stretching...and there was also a lot of eye candy as an added bonus. But after a month in, I really allowed myself get into what the instructors were saying...it really helps a lot of the stress melt off.

Not to mention that I am way more flexible than I ever have been in my life and also more flexible than anyone who doesn't do yoga (girls or guys) I was on a hiatus most of the summer but will be getting more serious once I'm back in January. I will try to find some studios abroad in Europe. The studio I go to is primarily hot yoga, at first I hated it and only continued to go since my friend was going, and now I'm hooked on it...hot yoga or bust!

They have this event once a month where you do a class, and then shower, and the class collectively walk to a pub together. I don't remember what it was called, but it was something catchy. I was thinking about going since I usually stumble out in a daze and don't talk much afterwards it would be cool to get to know some of the other patrons.

You all are rocking it!

Yesterday was day seven for me. I did 4 miles on the treadmill. My weekly totals are:

5 hours 45 minutes

23.3 miles

2493 kcal

At some point I'll incorporate resistance training.

I don't think I've lost but I'm sure I haven't gained and that's good since I was steadily gaining.

Looking forward to reading everyone's updates.

I got in a quick chest workout tonight...did flat presses, pullovers (for both chest and back), and then cables for lower and upper chest. I kinda half-assed it, but I'm patting myself on the back for getting there, since tomorrow I won't be able to.

Welcome back JA!

Awww ! Thanks and great job to YOU Mr Macho man! Lol.

Hope you're doing good....

Hope everyone's doing great!

Felt guilty after skipping 2 days to deal with MCFH - so did over 30 minutes straight on the incline cycle. It was NOTICEABLY harder than 20-25. So I guess I'll be doing that for the cardio portion until it gets easier, then I'll step either the difficulty or time up. Did some circuit weights for arms/back after, but started having issues with the hand numbness (appt with dr to review test results tomorrow from the electric shock testing) so I had to ease back a bit - disappointing.

However, ended up doing over 20 miles last week with a late start, and did 6 miles today, so off to a decent start this week.

Hope everyone else is doing splendidly!

I did 2.5 miles on the treadmill Monday night. I skipped yesterday. I'm off to a sucky start this week

It's all good...just make sure your diet is on point, it's 80% diet! I've only been averaging 3 days at the gym a week this past month (I was doing 4-5 before that), but since I have kept my diet clean, I'm still maintaining my results.

Archived