Anyone ever lost a beloved pet in a break up?

astrobaby

When me and my gf broke up recently, she took the dog we got together three years ago. I really love that little guy. I miss him terribly. I guess in my loneliness (i have no family left, am in an isolated area, and no friends anywhere near) i feel his absence even more. If he was here, i would have something to look after, a reason to get out of bed in the morning. And his happy face and waggy tail never failed to make me smile. It's more of a blow, and more annoying, because she is surrounded by her large and loving family where as im totally alone. She always was a bit heartless like that.

I've thought about rescuing a dog or cat from a shelter, but can't just 'replace' him so soon. Plus everything is uncertain right now, where i'll be or what i'll be doing could be very different in a few months time. I might end up in a less than ideal situation. So i think i should wait.

But anyway, it sucks and i miss him, and it makes me feel even more sad and lonely that he's gone as well. Earlier today i went out and walked 'our walk'. Nice to get out, but so bitter sweet without him. I kept expecting him to run past me at any moment, tail held high. Anyone else here had this happen?

Did she not offer visiting rights? When I broke up with my ex I asked him if he wanted visiting rights (he didn't want our dog, so I kept him). Could you ask her if you could see the dog from time to time?

You could always just volunteer with a shelter, then you see dogs/cats regularly without the commitment of owning one, or you could foster a dog or cat for a time until owners are found (if that sort of thing is offered where you are)

• 1 month later...

My ex gave our pets away while I was away for the summer! by the time I came home, he had given them away ( pretended they were strays that he had found and gave them to a local pet store) and I never saw them again. Never saw him again after he left the state either! Ugh It sucked so I know how you feel. Still think about them from time to time...

• 2 months later...

That must really hurt, I cant imagine being without my baby princess.

Try taking up a hobbie to keep you busy.

If bribing doesn't work, then I would suggest adopting another pet.

Although it hurts, allow youself the chance to love again.

Your not replacing him, you'll have him with you in memory.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes. I can relate. My ex has 3 cats. My ex is totally AWFUL for me, but I loved the cats so much, I had a hard time breaking up with him. I know, it sounds stupid.

We broke up 4 or so months ago, but we still live together for financial reasons, and because I help take care of the cats. This isn't really a viable situation longterm, but right now neither one of us is interested in dating or finding anyone, so it works okay. He still annoys me, though, because his horrible slob habits that partially led me to break up with him, haven't really changed. He's still a lazy slob. At some point, I will have to leave him AND the cats.

A friend of mine took his dog when they broke up. But, she had been the one to take the dog to the vet, feed it every day, walk it, clean up its poop, do the obedience training. He never stepped up and shouldered the responsibility of proper dog ownership. He may have bought it, but that dog bonded to her. Months later, he was still squawking that she took his dog, if she hadn't, odds are that dog would have been in rough shape since he was never around. She never offered him any visitation rights (the dog would growl at him when he was around). Was it a horrible thing to do, taking the dog? I guess sort of, but he had brought it on himself by not taking care of it in the first place.

I don't know if the same thing happened with you, or why your ex GF decided to take it. As previously suggested, volunteer to foster or work in the shelter if you want some animal time until you get sorted out what you're doing. If you're going to move far away, taking an animal with you may not be feasible, even this dog you love. If you're afraid of getting attached to another animal, try to find something to do -- fitness classes, meetup groups, networking events -- no clue what's in your area. Get a local paper or find a website for your town and get out there. A social life isn't going to just knock on your door, you have to go out and find one. Talk to the people at your work, see if they have any suggestions.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived