My Dog died today in my arms

sadchick83

My dog died today. He was about 12 1/2. I rescued him when he was about 1 1/2. This dog was by my side for 11 years plus. He had been through numerous break ups, the death of my father, the good times, the bad times etc. I must admit I am in shock tonight and took a couple of ativans to calm myself. The love I had for this dog was deeper that any love I've had for another human being. He was loyal and only loved me. If I left him for a day or two he didn't eat or drink. If we were both humans our relationship would have certainly have been considered unhealthy and co-dependent.

Anyway, can anyone let me know what the next few days will be like? What to expect? What I should do? In addition, I have just applied to graduate school, got turned down by one, listed my house today, and am going in for a cyst operation tomorrow, so its been a stressful time.

Any advice would be great.

Besides your dog, you have a lot on your plate. try to get things done, but pamper yourself.

I am really sorry about your dog, friend, and companion. It doesn't get easier losing a pet as an adult.

Condolences.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It absolutely broke my heart when my own dog passed away after 14 years together. And like you he died in my arms after a horrendous illness. I lay on the sofa with his blanket for at least a week, and cried every day in private for a good few weeks when I thought of him. In fact I am crying now just thinking of him and he died 2 years ago. But the pain of loss has lessened, and mostly I smile when I think of him now and feel so proud to have had such a wonderful friend and protector in my life.

Awe thanks guys, you have made me feel momentarily better. I guess it will come in waves. Not to sound like a complainer, but I am selling my house and had a small surgical procedure today-lots of stress!! All I want is to come home and give my guy a hug and a kiss. My house seems so silent now. I keep "seeing him", but realize he is not there. In the end I was feeding him baby food, which is still in the pantry and it hurts to look at it. Whenever I travelled, he was always belted into his doggie seatbelt in my back seat. I can't imagine travelling alone. I had just purchased a doggie baby stroller, because he got easily winded in the warm weather He was a beautiful lilac Shar Pei. Just so hard to see the stroller beside my car

Hi Snny,

No, not right now. I know it sounds weird, but I would feel like a bit of a cheater if I did. My dog was really special. He was a lilac Shar Pei, with a big green eyes and a purple tongue. He was photographed often and was even on TV. He was just so special. He has been abused and by the time I got him he just clung to me. Anyway, I don't know if I would like an aloof dog or one that didn't love me as much as he did. Also, I might be starting graduate school in the fall and might be away from home, not have good schedule for a dog.

It is so hard. I know this may sound weird, but it is as hard and I am a bit embarrassed to say but harder than the death of my father. I guess because with a dog, they are with you all the time. I lived alone for most of his life, so it was just me and him. The bond was so strong. Am I weird for taking this harder than the death of a parent?

I don't think it is weird, no. Hugs. I was very heartbroken at the loss of my beloved Siamese. I got him when I was 16 and he passed away a few months after my son was born when I was 31. He was the most special cat ever. I had to make the decision to put him to sleep because he was dying. I was devastated. It will take time but the pain will become less.

Your dog sounds like he was very special.

Victoria,

My friend had a Himalayan, she was the same about him. She could not even look at photos after he went. And mhowe, thank you for not making me feel weird. I don't have children, but I guess that would be far worse, losing a child that is. Hard to get out of the routine. I just came from a restaurant and would usually bring hime what I did not eat off my plate. And he is not in his spot by the tv. Its soooo quiet in the house

I had to put my border collie down a few years ago. He was 17...I got him at 1.5yrs.

I missed him so much..I wouldn't wipe the nose prints off the car window!

I boxed all his toys and gave them to the local shelter.

About 3 months.after he died, I woke up to the feeling that something had just landed on my bed. I wasn't scared.. opened my eyes. Nothing

But the.placed where he played was pressed down, and I swear to you it was warm. So..call me crazy...or take comfort..he is still with you.

BTW...never happened again.

OMG mhowe,

How strange, but calming at the same time! I believe you that pets and people are reincarnated. My mother is convinced my father is a red cardinal that hangs out by our house. Funny, after we took my dog to be cremated, a red cardinal swooped by my face. I know way you mean about the prints. I am reluctant to vacuum the last of his fur on the carpet. The weekend was really tough. We were up at our lake house and he had never not been there. It was so quiet in the house. He would have loved today, so hot and sunny.

My boyfriend (who lives in NYC) surprised me and flew in over night, took my mom and I to golf and dinner, and when I got back to the city, a friend had sent a lovely flower arrangement. Its great to have my mom around. I am living with her temporarily (last 2 years during a home reno) and I explained to her that it a way it has been harder than the death of my father and she completely understood. My Dad wasn't by my side for the last 11 yrs.

Anyway...sure is tough!

I love the red cardinal story! I too believe that pets have a way of returning after they have passed.

Years ago I had to put my boxer to sleep, she had epilepsy and was going through many grand mal siezures, they were coming in clusters and eventually she suffered brain damage and had to be put down. Well shortly after she passed I heard what sounded like a dog walking around in the kitchen. I thought it was my other dog and I yelled for him to get out of the kitchen but just as I yelled for him, I turned around and saw him sitting near the fireplace but his attention was fixated on the kitchen. I know it was her, she had a peculiar walk and I would know the sound of her clicking nails anywhere.

Just last year I had to put him down, he was 14. He was suffering and I did what I needed to do for him. My heart is still broken and while some days I think I want another campanion, mentally I'm not ready. I still have his leash hanging on the hook near my front door.

I had to put my border collie down a few years ago. He was 17...I got him at 1.5yrs.

I missed him so much..I wouldn't wipe the nose prints off the car window!

I boxed all his toys and gave them to the local shelter.

About 3 months.after he died, I woke up to the feeling that something had just landed on my bed. I wasn't scared.. opened my eyes. Nothing

But the.placed where he played was pressed down, and I swear to you it was warm. So..call me crazy...or take comfort..he is still with you.

BTW...never happened again.

That happened to me too. Shortly after the passing of my Siamese. I was sitting on my bed and all of a sudden there was that "chirp" he usually did and something jumped on the bed. You could see little foot prints cross the bed and something brushed against me.

It only happened once.

Oh, I am waiting for my guy to "give me a sign." It would be so comforting!! Metrogirl, I am sorry to hear of the seizures. My guy had them too. It was frightening, but somehow they went away when I moved to another house. Boxers are nice. My boyfriend had one but left it with his ex wife. He is still alive, and I will truly feel bad for his ex wife when he goes. I think he is close to 9 now, and she is very attached to him/treats him like a person.

So weird to have this empty space next to my bed

That happened to me too. Shortly after the passing of my Siamese. I was sitting on my bed and all of a sudden there was that "chirp" he usually did and something jumped on the bed. You could see little foot prints cross the bed and something brushed against me.

It only happened once.

Glad to know I am not crazy. Hadn't told many people that story. It was surreal!

I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your dear companion. Losing a beloved pet is so difficult.

I don't have much advice because I still miss my pets from the past terribly. Time does help and I found that getting another pet can help (not to "replace" the former of course, but fill the void of complete emptiness- and it is a distraction from the pain).

I am sorry for your loss, too. I lost my beloved 15-year old cat in 2009 after a long battle with cancer, and it was heartbreaking. I had to make the decision to put her down, and it was probably the hardest decision I've ever made.

A few months later, I started having dreams about her every so often. In the dreams she was fat (she had gotten very thin in the last few months of her life), happy, playing -- just like she was before she got really sick. In one of the dreams, I remember holding her and saying -- "Wow! You're so fat again! And you're so happy! Your cancer must be gone!" Then, I paused for a second, realized something, and said, "Oh, wait, it's because you're in heaven now!" I awoke from that dream feeling peaceful, knowing that I had done the right thing. I'm not particularly religious, but that dream gave me reassurance. And, it made me feel as though she was still with me. Even now, I dream of her every once in awhile, and it's always good.

Your dog will always be with you. That's the wonderful thing about having pets. They never really leave us.

Archived