Open Club  ·  24 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Went to Michigan for my dad's 100th birthday! Both boys went with me too- we all took a week off of school/work.

My mom's dementia has progressed and she cannot access many words to speak, but she was full of smiles when we were there, so I think she recognized us.

My dad was so glad to see us all. We had a little party for him at the care center. Later, I found a cake in the kitchen that the staff had made for him. So sweet!

I saw some of my siblings last week while there, and one left before I got there. The youngest sibling got there today so missed seeing her. But that just means my dad gets a birthday celebration that lasts a few weeks.

It was cold but sunny in Michigan. I lived the sunshine!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doctor visit today. Numbers were good. He is waiting on some of the longer blood test results, but he was pleased. Fluid seems to be gone from my lung and abdomen. Bones are healing. Kidney seems

We celebrated my mom’s 100th birthday this week! We had a family Zoom party for her, and she actually seemed to smile and respond! Since she is in a memory care center, she cannot yet receive visitors

Oh my goodness- My youngest son dropped by to bring gifts and to pick things up. We wore masks, but he did come inside. He needed to gather things from his room. (He has been staying at his dad’s

At the end of the week, I said my goodbyes to my parents (a bit choked up).

The next morning I had to say goodbye to my oldest son, who flew directly to California for his new job!

The week before we left for Michigan, he had to pack everything up from his apartment and my house, and it was all put in storage until he has a new place to live. I think it was all delivered today.

We were laughing, because they gave him a moving allowance. He had about 2 chairs, a rug, a few dishes, and 10 boxes of clothes and shoes. Not much! Fortunately the movers had another load they were taking down, and they combined them in one trip.

Happy Birthday to your dad! What a long life!

Yes! My nephew said "Here's to another hundred! " and my dad said "No way!". Lol.

My dad said he feels better this year on his birthday than he did last year. They were still living in their home last year and both parents were exhausted and not getting good nutrition. While the care center is depressing at times, it was the right thing to do. We tried in home help and it didn't work out at all.

Yes! My nephew said "Here's to another hundred! " and my dad said "No way!". Lol.

My dad said he feels better this year on his birthday than he did last year. They were still living in their home last year and both parents were exhausted and not getting good nutrition. While the care center is depressing at times, it was the right thing to do. We tried in home help and it didn't work out at all.

We are at this point with my in laws right now. :( but my husband nor my sister-in-law will fight to put them in a home . So I have just wiped my hands of it .

We are at this point with my in laws right now. :( but my husband nor my sister-in-law will fight to put them in a home . So I have just wiped my hands of it .

I wondered if they had gone there yet.

It takes a great deal of strength to do it, and support from all siblings. My brother stayed with them for 3 months and used up all of his family leave time. When that was done, then they went into the care center.

My dad couldn't get up the stairs very well as he was so weak. And there was not a full bath downstairs. And my mom was in a paranoia stage, so she threatened any in home help we tried to hire, so they kept quitting.

Somehow this care center has worked out. My dad and mom have their own rooms (with some of their familiar furniture in them) right next to each other.

The caregivers say that my mom is feisty sometimes, but she seems so much more at peace where they are now.

My father-in-law won’t allow any home help at all . None. And since my mother-in-law went to the hospital last October she has gone downhill more and more and more as time goes by. And she just does whatever her husband wants because she doesn’t want to fight with him . My sister-in-law won’t fight them at all . And well we are just not close enough to be of any help or any effect whatsoever . Unfortunately I think it’s going to take a death to get anybody’s attention .

Sounds so similar, except it was my mom that chased everyone out.

The one brother that was their caregiver for 3 months - he is single and never had kids. He had so many leave hours socked away and he had never used them. So he used them up while we scouted a place that had room for them both. It is somewhat a miracle that neither of them died before they got help. But it was close a few times.

It is very difficult to have a parent in that situation. But as a daughter in law, you have to leave it to your husband and his sister, as you are wisely doing.

When my parents were still home though, I often had the pragmatic thought that if my parents died while living home, they have truly lived full and long lives.

A quiet Easter for me- one son gone, and the other at his dad's. I could have tried to get an invite to a friend's, but it suited me to stay home.

I did go to church, and it was a very nice service.

Tried to go to Costco to stock up for the week, but they were closed. Oh well.

Back to work tomorrow, and that's the end of spring break.

I am better, just a lingering cough now. But my poor son has a sore throat now, so he will be occupying the couch now. He is so busy right now, with many projects up in the air- getting ready for graduation. Bad time to get sick.

Oh my, spoken too soon. My temperature has been normal since last Tuesday morning. Until yesterday. Temp was back up over 100, and I called in sick for today and tomorrow.

Not sure if I had a relapse, or if my son gave me a new virus. My son has been doing ride alongs at the fire station, so he may have caught something that way...

Since we are opposite seasons, I already got it last fall. But- I heard that we keep track of what flu strains are appearing in your cpuntry, so they can forecast which strains are likely to appear in our country. I did hear that the flu shot wasn't as affective in your country last year, and that appears to be the same for us too.

But I got the shot anyway...

Strep throat test was positive.

My son made his own appointment and coincidently they were at the same time. (Different Dr. offices.)

They tested him for strep and it was positive too. So we both ended up with the same prescription.

So glad we will both be on the road to recovery.