Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Went for a nice long 1 1/2 hour walk today with my friend C. It turned out to be a gorgeous day, sunny, but with a bit of fall in the air. Lots of families were out running, walking, or riding their bike.

Still working on shifting things around to make room for my son. I cannot understand how he has so much stuff from his little apartment! But it is good for me to get rid of things..

Had a great week and looking forward to getting back to work on Monday.

Tomorrow at church Sunday school classes start up again.

Still working on my house. I was cleaning out a closet that had a bunch of old computer programming books from my ex. I had kept them, thinking that my sons would like to read them and learn programming. But at this point I think the books are too old.

And my older son probably has already learned that stuff, since he is a computer science major. But I will have him go through them to see what is worth keeping.

It was weird going through some of my ex's old things. There were so many books and some packaging from electronic gadgets that I never knew he had. Apparently he shopped a lot - more than I ever knew.

And I found some pictures in an envelope with his name on it. The handwriting was from his mom. They were pictures of a woman he had dated for a bit just when he met me. And pictures of his first wife. I really felt no emotions finding those. I simply put them away for my kids, since there were pics of their dad in there.

Today I went walking for a few hours with my friend C. It was a nice walk but got hot near the end. We had to move our walk day to Saturday because I am working now, but I will probably meet her after work sometimes.

Her dog was so thrilled to see me! Always nice to have such a greeting committee.

On my walk yesterday we saw a few great blue herons, several ducks and geese staying cool in the water, and some very fat squirrels gathering food for the winter.

When we got to the pond, a man had a bearded dragon on a leash, and he was putting it in the pond to swim. Very strange. He said it loves to swim, but I couldn't tell if it was enjoying it or not.

Lots of families were there on bikes and several runners were out for long runs. A few people were fishing by the pond and river, and a few odd boats drifted by.

We also passed by a children's exhibit and there was a 10 year old African spiked tortoise in a penned in area in the grass. My friend's dog was intrigued, yet unsure of this creature. The handler said is was fine for the dog to come near the tortoise, so she got to sniff it a bit when she got the courage. It was about 2 feet long; quite large.

So. My son went over to a relative's house last night to work on a school project. As it happens, the relative grows a few plants of medical Marijuana - legally here in Oregon- and it was harvest time. That smell really permeates, apparently, because when my son got to school, he opened up the box that had his project in it, and a neighboring student remarked that strangely it smelled like pot. Oh lord, I hope the teacher doesn't think we are all potheads...

There was a post on Facebook from someone I know from church. She has kids my age. Her husband died from cancer 5 years ago, then she was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago. She did chemo and her hair just started growing back.

Somehow she broke her arm closing the car door, so when she was in the hospital they found that her cancer has come back and metastisized. Her post says that she is,on medicine for comfort only, and she is getting her affairs in order.

Just so sad, and she is the sweetest person ever!

Cancer sucks

Thanks Silver and Vic.

It makes me nervous. I got on the patient portal and looked at all of my blood test results, compared with last year's. Not that I know what any of them are. But the numbers were within the stated limits so that made me feel better.

My friend went through so much when her husband died from cancer. So she has already come to peace with the end of her own life.

I know it is a shock to her adult children though. One of her sons has Aspergers and still lives with her. Her other son is in recovery from addiction and moved back in with her a few years ago, after their dad died. They can really care for her, so that is good.

She is one of the sweetest persons I know.

I love my job! Finished the first full week of work with students. Well, I assessed them with baseline screeners. I will be working with all of the first graders in a reading "boot camp" for the next month, just to get them going.

Now I have to put my schedule together for the rest of my students. Very complicated...but I am going to attempt that this weekend.

The math instruction class I took last summer emphasized working in the classroom with students rather than pull them out. I never thought that would apply to me, because of the way our school is set up.

But now they changed the middle school structure, and I am wondering how I could ever pull them out during their block times. Hmmm. I might be assisting in the middle school classroom during math time...