Open Club  ·  29 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Well, it was- and it wasn't...

She was such a loving and sweet mom but she was a binge drinker and an alcoholic. She had had a horrific childhood full of abuse- her mom was mentally ill and an alcoholic and no dad in the picture.

I tried so hard to get her to go to rehab but to no avail. She just felt more comfortable immersed in dysfunction and drama because that was the norm for her life.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t made split pea in years. Unless you use a crockpot, you have to stir it constantly to keep it from sticking. But - yumm! Maybe that will be my next project. I must be feeling a lot better

Well, I had my second Moderna shot yesterday after work. My arm was a little sore when I went to bed. I woke up at 3am quite chilled, so I put on a fleece jacket and hat, and piled another blanke

Doctor visit today. Numbers were good. He is waiting on some of the longer blood test results, but he was pleased. Fluid seems to be gone from my lung and abdomen. Bones are healing. Kidney seems

That is awesome about your son!!! Congrats!!!

Yeah those people calling about computer problems are a complete scam. My in-laws get the same phone calls and they've never had a computer in their life.

Well, it was- and it wasn't...

She was such a loving and sweet mom but she was a binge drinker and an alcoholic. She had had a horrific childhood full of abuse- her mom was mentally ill and an alcoholic and no dad in the picture.

I tried so hard to get her to go to rehab but to no avail. She just felt more comfortable immersed in dysfunction and drama because that was the norm for her life.

that's sad and such a waste.

That is awesome about your son!!! Congrats!!!

Yeah those people calling about computer problems are a complete scam. My in-laws get the same phone calls and they've never had a computer in their life.

I was a little worried - in case my son was downloading something he wasn't supposed to. Or - I am using my brothers old computer, which he had used for government research. But I know he wiped it completely clean before passing it on to me.

Anyhow, the caller ID said unknown and they would have sent a letter from my Internet provider- not call from a phone.

As far as the job - I pray that he takes this one more seriously! In some ways it is good that he got fired from the last job- good feedback and learning for him.

In his interview the guy asked him why he left his last position. He told him the truth: that they had told him that there wasn't enough work for over the summer. But that they had told his former supervisor that they fired him.

He told the interviewer that he had never had any negative feedback on the quality if his work and that he wished they had said something so he would have been able to correct it. He told the interviewer that he likes people to be straightforward with him, feedback wise.

I think he got the job because he was honest and forthright.

Proud of him!

Oh, so annoyed with my ex. They lazed around all morning even though my son had to pack for a week long backpacking trip. My ex was supposed to get him here to pack this morning but they didn't get here until almost 3. He had to present his full pack for a "pack check" at 6. It was a very intense afternoon trying to find what he needed. And then we had to go but him new hiking boots. So irritated- it didn't need to be this stressful.

Got up at 5 am to get my younger son off on his fifty mile backpacking trip this morning! It will be a great experience for him!

Did some stretching with the Total Gym this morning and some strength training. My younger son was intrigued to see the machine when he got here yesterday but didn't have time to explore it. I know he will use it, though.

He had signed up for cross country sports at the high school- first time doing sports and we will see how he likes it. His dad was a gymnast in high school - they went to state a few times and he was recruited by universities, but decided not to pursue it at the college level.

I, on the other hand, was always klutzy as a kid. I'm a good swimmer and walker, but that's about it. We will see who he takes after.

His training schedule after this week is running 3 miles every day and two days he has to do it in the morning and afternoon. I guess I will be a sports mom!

Older son lazed around this weekend but goes in to work tomorrow. He has only two more weeks of his math class, so I hope they give him some work hours for August.

I am continuing with my house organizing project - something I have needed to do since my ex moved out. I did get rid of his stuff after he moved, but I never had the energy to reorganize- nor did I have the money. I have a little money earned from the temporary job, so I have been doing things little by little.

I also feel that the antidepressant has given me a new lease on life.

Made some buttermilk raisin bran muffins yesterday and I had some buttermilk left. So for tonight's dinner I made buttermilk Parmesan chicken tenders with a balsamic vinaigrette sauce.

Older son loved them and came back for seconds an hour later.

The muffins have a funny taste so I think the bran was rancid. I'm disappointed. Usually they are great. I'll just make them again with fresh ingredients from a different store.

The chicken tenders were really good. I cooked 2 pounds and we had some for dinner last night. When I heated up the leftovers tonight there was only a little bit left! My son must have snacked on a lot of it last night!

I will try it vegetarian, Silver. My son and I were talking about it and we think that it would work on tofu strips.

I marinated the chicken tenders in buttermilk and then coated them in a mixture of Italian style breadcrumbs and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. I added cayenne to give it a kick. Then baked on a sheet pan.

The dipping sauce that came with the recipe was a balsamic vinaigrette with fresh garlic cloves.

I really liked the Parmesan.

My son turned in papers for his job today and he starts Monday at 8 am - hahaha! He has gotten into the habit of staying up all night and sleeping in until noon...

This will be good for him. I hope.

Thinking of my younger son tonight on his backpacking trip- it probably got up over 100 today. But I remember that the leaders said they would be getting the boys up early each morning to do their hiking before it gets hot. They were going to hike 10-12 miles per day!

He will be home on Friday night.

It got up to 100 here today- crazy hot. Right now it is 10 pm and the current temp is still 80. The cat came in and simply turned around and went back outside.

Well, I hope you manage to keep cool. This summer I will have a very deep dam to swim in!

Strangely I woke up to rain and a thunderstorm. It got up to 80 today but right now it is a blissful 74 and it feels great! What a change!

So nice for you to have a dammed lake to swim in!

I was concerned to hear about the flooding in the Detroit area- they had 6 inches of rain in a day, and apparently they had to close some of the major Detroit freeways because if flooding. They actually reported that they had to send a dive team to check on one of the freeways to make sure there was no one trapped. Crazy!

Anyway, I called my parents to make sure they were okay, because they are in their nineties. They were blissfully unaware of any problems and their house is not flooded, thankfully. I told them not to drive anywhere!

Today is their 64th wedding anniversary! So cute. I wished them Happy Anniversary- I usually call them to remind them because they usually forget. And they had forgotten. My Dad said that they are married "Til death do we part" which was tough to hear because at their age you never know how much longer they have on this earth.

Keep safe. Oh btw, I have 3 dams, but just one of them is really big and deep like a swimming pool.

I live in Oregon which is a few thousand miles away. So we have had the opposite problem- absolutely no rain and relentless heat- until today.

Oh I am annoyed with my son's University health center. Last year they told him to find a doctor in town to prescribe his ADHD meds because they couldn't fit him in.

So of course that was a roadblock and he never called until he was flunking out in the spring. He finally called his old pediatrician in a pinch and she said she would write his prescription for one more month but he needed to find a new physician.

In the meantime his grades tanked and he lost his job because he wasn't able to focus.

Once the pediatrician got his prescription going again, he has gotten one A minus on a very hard math class and he hopes to get an A on the one that ends this week.

He has two incompletes to finish from last spring term. His GPA went down so he has lost his scholarship for now until he brings his grades up.

As far as the old job, he found out through word of mouth that he was too spacey and that is why they let him go.

He starts a new job on Monday and he needs to be on task. So - he only has two pills left of his meds.

The health center told him a few months ago that all he had to do was to transfer his records and they would get him set up on meds. But today when he went in to renew the prescription they said they only have one psychiatrist and he should find his own doctor.

So now he is scrambling to get what he needs at the last minute.

I have been letting him handle all of this for a year. But I just couldn't help myself and finally called his psychiatrist (his old one from five years ago) and he called me back to talk!

He is going to take him back as a patient and will help him with the logistics of getting the medication each month- yes!

Son is happy with that decision and was planning to go in for an appointment with him anyway. So thankful it is all going to work out...

Vic, I am trying to let him learn how to handle things on his own. But in this case I took a risk and stuck my nose in it - after he had a big mess of a year. Fortunately the doctor didn't mind and my son didn't either! So glad...

I looked at my mom's FB profile today and it says she lives in Texas (she had never lived there) and for her relationship it says "Ask". She is 93 and has been married for 64 years.

She is a little confused but still I think it is funny.

But my sis and I know her password so I think I am going to fix it...

I go to pick my son up from his fifty mile backpacking trip! So excited to hear how it went.

I have ratatouille on the stove for dinner and will make a big salad too.

Went and bought a bunch of food for the week- both boys will be here and the younger one is probably starving from his trip. He also starts cross country training on Monday so- there goes my food budget!!

Older son had his math final on Friday and he thinks he got more than 100% because he did the extra credit questions too.

So glad. I think he still has to get his grades upper in order to get his scholarship back, but at least he has had some success and will likely change his major- to computer science and also to math.