Open Club  ·  25 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Got some things done today - this morning I felt a lot better so I went out to mow the lawn and trim. I saw a garter snake in my front yard which really surprised me. I didn't think there was much for it to eat around my place- at least in the front yard.

Here is a picture of what it looked like- this is a pic off the Internet but it looked just like this:

link removed

The blackberries are starting to ripen so I picked a bowl of them.

Still working laundry and cleaning inside the house- so much was put aside when I was taking those two classes.

I did my first real workout on the Total Gym and I can feel that my abs and leg muscles got a good workout.

This afternoon I was lazy but it was a perfect day where I had no meetings or obligations so I read a book. "The Fault in Our Stars" was recommended to me by a friend- what a tear jerker, but I can relate to some of it since I am a cancer survivor.

I paid bills this week but now I have to be careful about spending money since I don't have that extra income coming in anymore.

Well, since I am on a roll with organizing my house I am going to get back to it this evening...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Doctor visit today. Numbers were good. He is waiting on some of the longer blood test results, but he was pleased. Fluid seems to be gone from my lung and abdomen. Bones are healing. Kidney seems

We celebrated my mom’s 100th birthday this week! We had a family Zoom party for her, and she actually seemed to smile and respond! Since she is in a memory care center, she cannot yet receive visitors

Haven’t made split pea in years. Unless you use a crockpot, you have to stir it constantly to keep it from sticking. But - yumm! Maybe that will be my next project. I must be feeling a lot better

Enjoying the cool morning breeze coming through the window and the neighborhood sounds.

There is a family that has two toddlers up the street and I can hear their little voices and shrieks of joy. Those days are long gone at my house...

There is a mourning dove that gives its calls every morning and evening and today is no exception.

It is just plain peaceful this morning.

I decided to skip church today- I want to continue organizing my house.

Got a lot done today. And then I went out to look for a shoe cubby to replace what I have by the front door. Didn't find what I wanted, but I found some pretty towels to give to my friend whose house is almost finished.

She originally paid a bunch of money to some contractors who were frauds. Now she had to knock the whole structure down and build new, because the former contractors did such shoddy work. No one would touch it to fix it, so it was cheaper to knock the old house down and build new than fix it.

My friend has been in a studio apartment for three long, very stressful years. With her cat and dog. Her new house is gorgeous! She moves in three weeks.

It is so sad that she lost the first round of money. Her aunt died last year so she was able to build the new house with the inheritance.

That must have been so stressful for your friend. So lucky she got that inheritance.

hehe funny story.

Oh it was and is very stressful. She lost so much money- and then paid almost the same amount to the lawyers trying to get justice. She had a lousy lawyer and finally got a better one after a year.

The contractor couple were very cunning and quite charming when they needed to be.

My friend had googled their company name and had checked the Better Business Bureau but didn't know to check thei company bond at the contractors board. Also- and this is crucial- she didn't know to google their names, just the company name.

6 months into the lawsuit she googled them on a whim, and the husband had been convicted of fraud in another field and had gone to prison for five years. Yikes!

Part of the issue is that my friend signed their crazy contract without really knowing what she signed. So they are getting away with a lot more than they should have.

A huge heartbreak for her - right on the tails of having been deceived by her husband for years. She figured out he was unfaithful to her. They got divorced and the house was going to be her first home she owns on her own.

Enjoying the cool morning breeze coming through the window and the neighborhood sounds.

There is a family that has two toddlers up the street and I can hear their little voices and shrieks of joy. Those days are long gone at my house...

There is a mourning dove that gives its calls every morning and evening and today is no exception.

It is just plain peaceful this morning.

I decided to skip church today- I want to continue organizing my house.

Don't you miss the sounds of toddlers? Those days are long gone for me too. And like you I have to enjoy the sounds of other people's little ones.

Me too. I miss that sometimes.

It is harder when they grow up isn't it? You just miss your baby to snuggle with. And I find boys just grow up and go off and leave. I find girls stick closer to family though. And we all have boys, go figure.

Hi Vic! My mother has 7 grandsons - no grand daughters although she didn't have any sons - just us 4 girls. I always see more of my son when he is between girlfriends. I know he is very keen on the latest and both of them work long hours so there isn't much spare time. I think in my post children years I will always have a little lap dog. My Maltese shihtzu is the closest I could have to a child. My son says he isn't ever going to marry and/or have children and he has been saying that for most of his life - so I likely won't have grand children. I would consider being a foster aunt or grandma if the right opportunity comes up.

Don't you miss the sounds of toddlers? Those days are long gone for me too. And like you I have to enjoy the sounds of other people's little ones.

Yes- it is fun to hear the neighbors. I am sure my kids gave joy to the neighborhood when they were that age too.

Hi Vic! My mother has 7 grandsons - no grand daughters although she didn't have any sons - just us 4 girls. I always see more of my son when he is between girlfriends. I know he is very keen on the latest and both of them work long hours so there isn't much spare time. I think in my post children years I will always have a little lap dog. My Maltese shihtzu is the closest I could have to a child. My son says he isn't ever going to marry and/or have children and he has been saying that for most of his life - so I likely won't have grand children. I would consider being a foster aunt or grandma if the right opportunity comes up.

Yes- who knows what is ahead for me. I don't know if my older son is marriage material simply because he is a bit clueless on social skills. Plus he may be gay- he is not sure. Of course that doesn't mean he can't be a parent, but the odds are against him in the whole scheme of things.

He is almost 19- doesn't know how to drive yet and doesn't yet want to know- and still has a lot of growing up to do.

Younger son is only 14 so I have a long while before grandkids.

Good luck for your sons job interview tomorrow. Yeah, guess not having grand kids won't be the end of the world. One of my nephews will be bound to have kids at least so from time to time, I'm sure I will get to be with them.

Yes- who knows what is ahead for me. I don't know if my older son is marriage material simply because he is a bit clueless on social skills. Plus he may be gay- he is not sure. Of course that doesn't mean he can't be a parent, but the odds are against him in the whole scheme of things.

He is almost 19- doesn't know how to drive yet and doesn't yet want to know- and still has a lot of growing up to do.

Younger son is only 14 so I have a long while before grandkids.

Yeah I have no idea if my son will be marriage material either. I really want grand kids but that may never happen. And if he doesn't have kids my husband's line of the family will end. My husband's sister never married or had kids and she went into menopause at 38. So it all hinges on my son. But it has to be his idea of course. He should not have kids if he does not want them or can't care for them. But if he doesn't I will be secretly heartbroken.

Yeah I have no idea if my son will be marriage material either. I really want grand kids but that may never happen. And if he doesn't have kids my husband's line of the family will end. My husband's sister never married or had kids and she went into menopause at 38. So it all hinges on my son. But it has to be his idea of course. He should not have kids if he does not want them or can't care for them. But if he doesn't I will be secretly heartbroken.

Well one thing that surprised me was that in a rare display of emotion, my son mentioned he would like to have a child someday. I was somewhat floored, because he has never been interested in children in his life.

My younger son is great with children. He was so sweet when he was a toddler. He had a baby doll and used to put it under his shirt to pretend he was nursing it, haha! Then he would rock it to sleep.

Vic, we just don't know what will unfold in life ahead of us. If my boys don't have kids, I like Silver's idea. I will just be a grandma to some that need one.

Just an example of how we don't know what lies ahead, I have an elderly aunt in her 80's now. She could not have been younger than 70 when a young desperate woman showed up at her house with a baby. It turned out that she had been the girlfriend of my aunts grandson, had a baby boy who was a few months old and asked my aunt for help saying she couldn't take the child. I know my aunt took the baby and was bringing him up. Don't know how long for. I am in contact with her son, but uncomfortable asking, but I am sure was for a substantial period of time. I see on FB that my aunt is currently travelling with her adult daughters through Europe. In my aunts case, there were a lot if family close by to help out.

Yes- for about 6 years I helped out a young mother and her son. My inlaws are "grandparents" to many children, including that little boy. Unfortunately the mom gave her son to the dad and he moved out of state. So we have lost touch. But I hope I made a difference in those early years.

I am really feeling my muscles from using the Total Gym! I am really glad I got it, although it does take up a lot of room...

Today I did a bunch of paper shredding for recycling and then I vacuumed and noticed some mouse droppings along the wall. So I must have a mouse again.

I found droppings in the silverware drawer! So I washed everything in the dishwasher and I won't put it back in the drawer until I have caught the mouse.

Then I got the carpet cleaner and cleaned the cushions of the couch and the carpet. I also cleaned the throw rug in the entryway.

Mopped the kitchen floor.

Now I REALLY feel my muscles!

My son got the job! He goes in to sign papers on Monday.

We had a discussion on how to keep a job- taking the initiative to ask for work, making sure you are there when scheduled, calling in sick and communicating when needed, etc.

He moves into his apartment in a month, so this is good timing!

Younger son will be home from his dad's tomorrow. He leaves for a fifty mile backpacking trip on Sunday morning early! So he will be packing tomorrow.

Today I got a random phone call from some guy with a foreign accent saying that he was calling from information technology and my computer has a problem. He says that when I use it, it makes 90 thousand computers crash. I asked him which company he was calling from and he mumbled something I couldn't understand. The caller ID said "unknown" so I told him he had the wrong number and hung up. Really... Some scam I guess...

Yes- for about 6 years I helped out a young mother and her son. My inlaws are "grandparents" to many children, including that little boy. Unfortunately the mom gave her son to the dad and he moved out of state. So we have lost touch. But I hope I made a difference in those early years.

Oh I just saw this! Lovely, I am sure you would have made a difference. Must have been a very hard thing for the mother to give her son up.