My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

luminousone

On 9/4/2021 at 5:12 AM, Jibralta said:

Medication is a double-edged sword, unfortunately.

So true…

I am on a slightly higher dose for the next month- just to use up some medication from last year. It just expired, and one month’s worth is about $3800. Insurance pays most off that, but I just couldn’t let it go to waste. So I asked my doc for permission.

So I take the higher dose at night, and my regular dose in the morning. Once I use it up, I’ll go back to the lower dose.

• 2 weeks later...

Work is coming along.

Despite the risks, it is really great to be back in person!

I thought wearing a mask all day would get to me, but mostly it is fine. Sometimes I switch to another mask halfway through the day.

My new assistant is working out great, for the most part. I did ask her to photocopy a lesson book so I could scan it into my drive (in case we go remote again) but she balked on that, so I did it myself. But she has been working pretty hard otherwise - she just hates copying (and I didn’t mind).

We got our first rain in about 9 months! It really poured all night! I hope it put out a lot of the wildfires! 

Yesterday started out as a nice day, but then the wind direction changed, and started blowing the smoke our way. The air quality quickly changed to the very unhealthy category. It was getting to lunchtime, and we couldn’t have students eat inside without masks. But we couldn’t send them outside because of the AQI. So our admin sent them all home at noon. And parents were appreciative!

Ex husband called me today to see if he could borrow the Brio train set for his nephew’s son. 

It was a hand-me-down set from my (deceased) dad, and I didn’t want to send that over. In my experience things like that get broken or lost with that family. I did offer him 2 other train sets (Playmobil, and a different one made of plastic) for them to keep. But he is going to look for used Brio to go with what they have.

Our boys and their dad used to set up elaborate track configurations - so I can see why he would want that. Great memories.

Anyhow, first time I’ve spoken with my ex in almost a year. We talked about our sons. He and his gf are trying to convince my youngest to get the vaccine, to no avail. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, Jibralta said:

I'm glad you didn't send it. I get why he wants it, but like you said, too much potential for it to get lost or broken. 

He seemed to understand. It helped that I offered to give the other two sets, which he declined. He just enjoys the Brio kind, so he will just buy those connector pieces himself.

My older son called. His gf broke up with him. He didn’t seem too unhappy, although that is probably why he called. 20 minutes into the phone call and then he told me.

Im sad for him - I actually liked her. But she is in law school and has a long road ahead of her for studies and her work. 

Good visit with my oncologist this week. Treatment is going well, and I am done with the higher dose of meds now. 

The dr said that the vaccine for kids is going to (likely) be approved in the next few days. And - the booster for the Moderna will be approved soon.

• Like 1

Two of my coworkers flew on trips last week, and they both came down with symptoms. They’re both vaccinated.

They won’t be back to work for a while.

And - one of our students tested positive, so that whole class is in quarantine. But they will be back tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

Cancer treatment going fine. So glad to be off the higher dose - I had not realized how much it saps my energy!

I go in again next week. 

In the meantime I have had to take time off for my Wellness check appointment which was moved out - I was due in August. All of a sudden my doctor is “out of the office for an unspecified amount of time” so they gave me a substitute. And now I got a letter that I have a new doctor assigned to me. Ugh. My old dr must have refused the vaccine, or he got sick.

• Like 1

I also had to take time off when my fridge went out - had to mop up the mess.

In the end, I couldn’t decide whether to repair a 20 year old fridge or buy a new one. I was going to get it repaired, but my coworkers thought I should buy new. But when I looked, they were $1400! 
In the end, I bought a dorm sized fridge to tide me over and was going to figure it out, but then my car started malfunctioning. The car was more important to get fixed.

Now that my car is working, I have a few days off in two weeks and I’ll see if they can repair the fridge when I have time off.

I wrote about my car yesterday but must have bumped the wrong button.

I had to take it in, because at times I couldn’t pull my key out of the ignition after parking. It was making me later for work, even though I got there on time. I kept moving the wheel around and taking it out of Park and putting it back in. Eventually something would work, until the next time.

They had recently done recall work on the air bag system so I thought they messed up the key ignition system, but they said they only worked on the passenger air bag. Anyhow, I did need it fixed, as it was getting worse.

So I made an appointment and took it in. Of COURSE the key worked just fine when I dropped it off, and later that day I received a message that the mechanics couldn’t duplicate the issue. So they were only going to charge me half of the diagnostic fee, which would be applied to a future visit if I had to bring it in for the same issue.

When I went to pick it up, I told the service manager that I would be back for sure. He was charging me for the visit while the assistant pulled my car around. The assistant came in a bit frazzled, because he couldn’t get the key out of the ignition! So, I felt verified!

I made an appointment for the following week (I just didn’t want to have to deal with a ride home right then, so decided to plan ahead). Took it in last Tuesday, and the key was stuck again. The service guy said he would bring out the mechanic to show him the issue. They fixed it. And when I picked it up that evening, there was no charge! Apparently, in those few days, Subaru had extended the warranty on that part, because others had the same problem! So it was a good thing I waited a few days for the second appointment!

It is nice to have a functioning car again!

And now, I hope I can get my fridge fixed up!

1 hour ago, luminousone said:

Poor little thing, it was all hunched up in the corner, trying to hide. I picked it up and put it back outside.

Lucky little bugger! Hope her doesn't cross paths with your cat again, poor guy!

1 hour ago, luminousone said:

I picked it up that evening, there was no charge! Apparently, in those few days, Subaru had extended the warranty on that part, because others had the same problem! So it was a good thing I waited a few days for the second appointment!

How nice! 

It's so frustrating when it's an electronics issue and they have to use their diagnostics machine. Most of the time, they can't find the issue. Maddening. 

In the summer of 2020, when I was doing the surveying, my employer at the time had THE most wretched fleet of work trucks and vans you've ever seen. I got a truck that used to shut off in the middle of driving. It happened several times when I was on the highway. Pretty nerve-wracking.

The garage couldn't diagnose it, so they leased us a minivan and we worked out of that for a couple days while the garage left our truck running until it finally shut off again for no reason. They fixed what they thought it was.... and my awful cheapskate boss actually negotiated for a discount on the repair! Lol what a lowlife.... Good riddance to those creeps. 

Anyway a couple days later it shut off on us again. I didn't have to drive it after that, thankfully.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My new fridge was installed on Monday, but they didn’t hook up the hose for the ice maker because the shut off t-valve was leaking.

And then my friend and son are here visiting and my friend decided to replace my water filter, which needed to be changed. Apparently there are leaks under the kitchen sink, too. 

When my son turned on the cold water at the shutoff valve, then THAT started to leak! Ugh!!! Now we will have to shut off the water at the street in order to repair that part!

Maybe it is just a problem with a washer…

So tired of things going wrong.

2 hours ago, luminousone said:

My new fridge was installed on Monday, but they didn’t hook up the hose for the ice maker because the shut off t-valve was leaking.

And then my friend and son are here visiting and my friend decided to replace my water filter, which needed to be changed. Apparently there are leaks under the kitchen sink, too. 

When my son turned on the cold water at the shutoff valve, then THAT started to leak! Ugh!!! Now we will have to shut off the water at the street in order to repair that part!

Maybe it is just a problem with a washer…

So tired of things going wrong.

I hear you. ❤️

• 2 weeks later...

Work has been so stressful this year.

I have had to arrange and facilitate tricky meetings. And my boss was cranky and critical at the last one. Ugh.

However, I found out she has some seriously ill family members (3 have cancer), and there have been extreme circumstances with a few students that required her attention from early in the morning until 10 at night. So now I understand her crankiness, and won’t take it personally.

Cant remember what I’ve written here, but- I’m enjoying my new fridge, my car works great, my water filter is working now, and I gave up and bought a new printer yesterday. Lots of things breaking down, but I got through it.

Went to church today in person (with mask) and that was nice. 

Looking forward to my son coming back for a visit for Christmas!

• 3 weeks later...

Merry belated Christmas everyone!

My oldest son flew home from California and he has been staying with me. He went and spent the day and one night at his dad’s on Christmas Eve, and then both boys spent Christmas Day with me.

We had a fun day together, and I gave them each the board game “Ticket to Ride”. We played a few rounds of the game, and the boys enjoyed it. I always lose those strategy type games (I do well with word-type games) when I play against my sons, but it gives me joy to hear their banter.

Anyhow, I was glad it was a hit, in this electronic day and age.

Younger son chose not to stay the night, because snow was in the forecast. And indeed, there was snow when we woke up the next morning! And it snowed all day and into the night.

I did shovel the driveway while the snow was on a break - knowing that more was to come. But when I went out to re-shovel this afternoon, it wasn’t very difficult, so the efforts yesterday seemed to pay off.

I’m on break from work, so that is nice.

Older son went to stay with friends in Portland, but he’ll be back tomorrow.

I am concerned that he is getting more exposure when he is out and about. But I had him use a Neti pot with saline rinse when he got here and he also did a rapid test before that, which was negative. I told him he has to do the saline rinse again when he gets back from his friend’s. He has been totally fine with doing all of that - and he is quite diligent with his mask.

My friend went to her former sister in law’s for Christmas dinner. Both of her adult nephews were there. When they sat down to dinner, she sat by one nephew. Turns out he had “symptoms” before the dinner, and as the evening progressed, his fever went up. She was right next to him!

She told him he needed to get tested and she wants to know the results. She is vaxxed and boosted, but still…

And, she is very concerned about her other nephew who was there, and who is not vaccinated!

Older son flew home yesterday. He said that he probably wouldn’t have flown if he had known about the omicron variant. He is vaxxed and boosted though, and used the saline sinus rinse kit I got him, and a few of the rapid tests I provided. Now that he is home, he won’t go anywhere because he works from home. 

Younger son dropped by today while he was in town for an appointment. I wish both boys could have spent more time together and with me, but I didn’t want older son to expose younger one (unvaxxed) to the virus.