Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

41 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

I actually saw someone mowing their lawn with a mask on today! I figured it was for the pollen. I felt the faint stirrings of memory when I saw it... must have been this conversation, which I'd forgotten about!

Idiots. Lol.

Agreed.

About 15-20 years ago some teens used to tear around the corner on our street in the middle of the night. Our front trees suffered all too often when they got hit. I have newer trees now - and those teens are grown and gone, but I guess this new generation of teens has a different way of being...

Funny - in between those times my kids entered and left their teen years - my youngest is now 21! Hopefully my neighbors don’t have complaints from those years!

Anyhoo, I guess I’m the “weird old lady” (from their imaginative perspective) on the block. Haha!

• Like 1

When I went to my doctor appointment last week, I asked him about going back to work next Fall in person. We will have that discussion closer to the Fall when we know more, but he did say it should be okay with a mask, a ventilation system, and an open window. 

I know they are putting in a wall to create a new office space for me, and also they will be installing new ventilation systems over the summer. So I think it will be okay since I’m vaccinated.

Then, later in the appointment my doctor asked if I’ve been out and about in stores, now that I’m vaccinated. And I mostly haven’t. He sheepishly said that he has not set foot in a store yet, even though he is fully vaccinated.

So, I guess he doesn’t follow his own medical advice. Haha!

Honestly, he sees patients all day, so there is risk with that.

That is my cancer doc. I think I will ask my Internist.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom was entered into hospice last week. The doctors at the hospital gave her 24 hours to live.

My brothers pulled her from the hospital and put her in hospice care at her care center, and she is resting comfortably there surrounded by staff and family who love her. 

I actually FaceTimed with her yesterday and she opened her eyes and smiled when I spoke to her, so I know she knew it was me.

She is 100 years old and has had a long life. I am so grateful that my brothers decided to take her back to the care center. The staff there was so happy to have her back, too!

She is unable to eat, so it is likely a matter of days now.

But - I have to laugh. Those doctors at the hospital were so insistent, and they were miffed that my brother checked her out of the hospital. My mom does things her own way and in her own time. She would live longer just to spite the crabby doctor. That is who she is...

• Like 2

My brother said my mom is doing well enough that they decided to try feeding her a little bit and give her some fluids.

What had put her into the hospital was that she couldn’t breath due to aspiration. Which could happen again, but they also want her to be comfortable. I’m thinking she either had a mini stroke, or that she is at that stage of dementia where she has forgotten how to swallow.

My brother’s words- “She is not actively dying, but she is still on hospice”. 

I’m glad they can make her comfortable. She seemed to enjoy visitors from various family members over the weekend.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, luminousone said:

My brother texted me a picture of my mom. He was helping to feed her today. I guess the care center is extremely short staffed, and so I am really relieved that family can visit her now.

She actually looked pretty alert!

That is great! 

We are visiting my father-in-law this weekend he is going downhill apparently. 

2 hours ago, Seraphim said:

That is great! 

We are visiting my father-in-law this weekend he is going downhill apparently. 

Oh gosh. I can relate!

Hope you have a good visit.

When your family is transferred, will you be closer or farther away from them?

My sister told me that the staff felt so guilty that my mom went to the hospital, because she aspirated food. She has dementia, so I wasn’t surprised that happened.

Anyhow, it turns out they are very short staffed and the staff is afraid to feed my mom. So my brother is stepping in to help when he can.

And my other brother, a retired physician, called the center to say how appreciative we all are. They have been so sweet to both my parents! And we don’t blame them. It is part of the disease.

I filled two yard debris bins with blackberry vines that had invaded my yard. I’m a bit stiff and sore, since I have done no physical activity for a year. However, I have a helper coming over to give me quotes on the rest.

I felt pretty good this weekend, so that is why I was able to get out there to do that work. One year ago I was so sick!!!

• Like 2

Vines are so invasive! I had my fill of them last summer, when I was surveying in Upstate NY. These were wild grape vines, though. My boss had a nickname for them, but I don't remember it. The berries were very small and tart (he told me not to eat them but I tried anyway).

Any time we weren't in the middle of a forest, we were confronted with these grape vines. It was so much work hacking through them. We usually used a machete, but in one area they were so bad that we went out and bought a chainsaw.

To make matters worse, the vines often ran along the slopes of creek and river beds, and if you weren't careful, you could get your foot caught under them as you were walking. This was my worst fear, getting my foot caught under a vine while trying to walk down a slope and doing a 120 degree faceplant on a rocky bank. Lots of time we were carrying equipment, too....and the machete! God, what a disaster that would have been. Fortunately, I managed to avoid that fate.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jibralta said:

The berries were very small and tart (he told me not to eat them but I tried anyway).

Sour grape vines!!!!  I had those growing up... can't remember the name (it's probably different in Texas anyway), but they grew like crazy and tasted sour/not worth it.

Wow that adventure sounds so awesome!!!

I had a church book group meet last night via Zoom. One of the members of the group awkwardly said, “So, did your Mom die?” 

She had been out of town and was likely trying to be a support for me. But, that just came out so bluntly, I actually laughed. And no, my mom didn’t die and is about the same. My brother goes to help feed her in the evenings. I think my mom would have had a sense of humor about it too.

Some people lack social skills. Me too, sometimes.

I’m a little miffed. I work off campus right now. I was on an interview team to hire someone that will be on my team. I strangely didn’t hear who they were going to offer it to. Somehow it was announced via a newsletter that doesn’t even go to me normally. I would think they would communicate more closely with me about that, especially since I was on the team.

Also, they hired other people for next year but I never saw an announcement about the new hire on one of the positions. So I emailed my boss to ask. She was snippy in her reply, saying it had been announced via email and in a newsletter. I cannot find that announcement at all, and I went back a few months. I read those things. So I emailed my boss back and asked how I was missing that announcement. I can’t find it!

Communication has gone downhill this spring. Sheesh!

10 hours ago, luminousone said:

Some people lack social skills. Me too, sometimes.

Lol, me too. Although I'd like to think I'd be more tactful than your well-meaning acquaintance. But, who knows. I can be pretty idiotic sometimes.

10 hours ago, luminousone said:

I actually laughed.

I'd probably laugh at that, too. I'm sure it was kindly intended, and the fact that it came out that way.... kinda funny.

On 6/12/2021 at 5:25 AM, Jibralta said:

Lol, me too. Although I'd like to think I'd be more tactful than your well-meaning acquaintance. But, who knows. I can be pretty idiotic sometimes.

I'd probably laugh at that, too. I'm sure it was kindly intended, and the fact that it came out that way.... kinda funny.

I think you “get” my sense of humor.

My mom would have appreciated it too! I miss sharing those stories with her…

• Like 1