Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Enjoying spring weather here! Today I was able to mow the back yard. Earlier this week I got the front yard done. 

My son came over and we had a great talk. I tried posting a long post about it here but I think it timed me out. Oh well. 

Anyhow, I was very concerned about what my son has been reading and believing from the internet. However, I decided not to try to derail his beliefs, but to love him and listen when I can. 

He is afraid to confess his belief in these conspiracy theories even to his dad (whom he lives with) because of rejection. So my job is to let him know he is loved, even when we don’t agree (and he knows we don’t agree). But I also encouraged him to discuss his views with his dad. Because, even though we are no longer married, “parents don’t keep secrets” from each other.  

Work is going well for now - we are in a great rhythm! But - that may be derailed soon, because someone in Wash DC thinks it is important to do state testing in the middle of a pandemic! Our state is appealing that decision, but it is not looking like they are going to let up. OMG! A lot of students are still distance learning! Tests must be done at school.

Whoever made this decision is not taking trauma into account. Someone they think these results will be valid. HUGE disconnect on priorities! Students need to connect as a community, not to come to school to do a computer test. Ugh. 

Oregon is trying to postpone it until Fall. But I don’t think they will be able to convince the Fed Dept of Ed to allow it. So mad.

• Like 2

What a great mom you are. ❤️
My son told me where he is getting his info from . He isn’t really a conspiracy theorist but more that the government is controlling and he doesn’t appreciate it. I told him too we don’t have to agree, but listen to each other and love each other. 

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, luminousone said:

Our state is appealing that decision, but it is not looking like they are going to let up. OMG! A lot of students are still distance learning! Tests must be done at school.

Are they doing well in your area?  A teacher friend told me that 75% of the kids in our area are failing 😞 just horrible.... 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

What a great mom you are. ❤️
My son told me where he is getting his info from . He isn’t really a conspiracy theorist but more that the government is controlling and he doesn’t appreciate it. I told him too we don’t have to agree, but listen to each other and love each other. 

Thank you Sera! I’m trying so hard to do the right thing. It all started with a simple question - I asked him how his workouts at the gym were going. He got kicked out of the gym because he wouldn’t wear a mask. And I got mad that he would treat people that way. We had words. 

And then I stopped and asked him if he was trying to pull a joke on me . But no, he was serious. I tried to reason with him. He thinks the pandemic is a hoax, that we don’t need to wear masks, that the govt is trying to control us, that the vaccine is harmful. (Never mind that I got my second dose a month ago. And his dad got his 6 weeks ago).

The words my son was spouting started to alarm me, because it sounds like he has been brainwashed in a cult. Which I told him.

But then, a small voice told me I have to pull back, or I would totally alienate him. So I told him I loved him, even if we disagree. 

After our phone conversation, I got so worried. He is living out on a farm, in the attic room of an old farm house. Everyone thought he was just doing his schoolwork and music up there, but I think he has been dragged into this bag of lies.

When I saw him in person, I asked him if he is lonely and depressed, and he said yes. He is not around anyone his age, because of COVID. So what else is there to do. I am worried.

But- he did offer to come to take me out walking, to try to regain my strength. I think I will take him up on that.Win win.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

Are they doing well in your area?  A teacher friend told me that 75% of the kids in our area are failing 😞 just horrible.... 

Well honestly, we did district assessments in the Fall and the results weren’t bad for us. We chose to only do (district) assessments in the Winter for kids who had tested low the first time around. So we don’t have a lot of data, but some. 

A few of my students are doing BETTER  with distance learning, which is amazing. Our state is rolling out hybrid learning for students in the next 3 weeks, so this will be the first time students are on campus in person for over a year. And - it is only two days per week for each cohort. At least for elementary age - maybe more for older?

One of my coworkers counted up how many days in campus that actually is. - about 20ish days on campus thru the end of the year. 

I think the Kindergarteners and maybe middle school on up are effected the most? Kinders, because they have missed out on the social skills needed (standing in line, etc). Middle schoolers and older, because parents have to work and the older kids are left to their own devices to get to class (or not). 

On the other hand- a friend teaches middle school, and those students are all engaged and appreciative of having school! They go hybrid in two weeks.

I keep hearing about how kids are failing. On what data are they basing that? Our district assessments are not much of a measure. State tests are - in normal times. But these are not normal times. Kids are traumatized. Staff are traumatized and burnt out trying soooo hard. For that matter, parents are traumatized too.

I am all for testing in normal times. But not now. Right now, our kids need that human connection so desperately, not to be thrown in the computer for testing.

I'm really really sad that our govt does not recognize that.

hmm. Maybe my son and I can agree on something! Lol.

Our students may be behind. But learning is not a race. We simply catch them where they are and go forward with what they need. Kids around the world are all in the same boat. 

Now is not the time to push for “achievement “. We have to get through the pandemic, and then we can begin to pick up the pieces.

2 hours ago, maritalbliss86 said:

And I have to say - we are, at the very least, going to have a generation that is very computer literate! I heard about a 5 year old that can’t read yet. But he has found how to do drawing on the Zoom leader’s screen during a lesson. No adult has figured out how he is doing it, because security settings are tight. His (really smart) older brother said that his dad can’t figure it out either! Lol lol. That little stinker! 

• Haha 1
On 4/3/2021 at 10:54 PM, luminousone said:

Now is not the time to push for “achievement “. We have to get through the pandemic, and then we can begin to pick up the pieces.

I guess I have mixed emotions about all of it (who doesn't right?).  I have a friend who is a school nurse who has a daughter who is supposed to graduate this year.  Apparently her daughter was so depressed last year after the lockdown (her junior year) that she couldn't get out of bed a lot of the time... they couldn't get her to do her online classes, but instead of failing or having to redo that year, they passed her.  

The school nurse said a lot of students are doing that, basically failing but still being passed by the school... but I think the main concern for people is that they aren't actually learning much when they're so depressed and unmotivated.  I'll have to ask more how they actually know 75% are failing if they're not testing.  And then what is going to happen to those kids?  Are they going to keep passing them anyway?

We've homeschooled for a few years now, so we're not really affected at all by this, except for the fact that these kids are my kids' peers and we care in that sense about what happens to them.  It's still scary to think about all the kids that aren't learning, their parents who have watched them become depressed and unmotivated at school (and can't help because they have to work), or all the kids who have fallen off the grid so to speak in our poor areas where the teachers have lost all contact with students for over a year.  Our city just made an effort to send teachers out to some of those areas to try to check on those kids that feel off the grid.  Not sure how many they were able to really contact, but there's no doubt it feels like a desperate situation, especially for the poor or underprivileged.

I get it that some are excelling though, even with virtual learning.  One of our nephews are doing great even though his school is just sending take home packets every Monday (they don't' have access to computers in that area for all the kids... it's a very impoverished town and area).  So he's doing great because he sets his own pace and can get everything done on Monday and Tuesday, and have the rest of the week off.  That's mostly how we do our homeschool... I let the kids understand if they get their stuff done on time or early, we have more time to have play days and go out to parks etc.  So I understand for some, it's going great!

Just seems devastating to think about how many may be negatively affected, and then wondering for how long?  My gut feeling tells me there will be more lockdowns, more and longer periods of kids out of school.  Sooo many are transitioning over to homeschool, but then I've seen pushback that homeschool doesn't have enough government oversight, etc.  The whole thing seems just so frustrating.

On 4/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, maritalbliss86 said:

I guess I have mixed emotions about all of it (who doesn't right?).  I have a friend who is a school nurse who has a daughter who is supposed to graduate this year.  Apparently her daughter was so depressed last year after the lockdown (her junior year) that she couldn't get out of bed a lot of the time... they couldn't get her to do her online classes, but instead of failing or having to redo that year, they passed her.  

The school nurse said a lot of students are doing that, basically failing but still being passed by the school... but I think the main concern for people is that they aren't actually learning much when they're so depressed and unmotivated.  I'll have to ask more how they actually know 75% are failing if they're not testing.  And then what is going to happen to those kids?  Are they going to keep passing them anyway?

We've homeschooled for a few years now, so we're not really affected at all by this, except for the fact that these kids are my kids' peers and we care in that sense about what happens to them.  It's still scary to think about all the kids that aren't learning, their parents who have watched them become depressed and unmotivated at school (and can't help because they have to work), or all the kids who have fallen off the grid so to speak in our poor areas where the teachers have lost all contact with students for over a year.  Our city just made an effort to send teachers out to some of those areas to try to check on those kids that feel off the grid.  Not sure how many they were able to really contact, but there's no doubt it feels like a desperate situation, especially for the poor or underprivileged.

I get it that some are excelling though, even with virtual learning.  One of our nephews are doing great even though his school is just sending take home packets every Monday (they don't' have access to computers in that area for all the kids... it's a very impoverished town and area).  So he's doing great because he sets his own pace and can get everything done on Monday and Tuesday, and have the rest of the week off.  That's mostly how we do our homeschool... I let the kids understand if they get their stuff done on time or early, we have more time to have play days and go out to parks etc.  So I understand for some, it's going great!

Just seems devastating to think about how many may be negatively affected, and then wondering for how long?  My gut feeling tells me there will be more lockdowns, more and longer periods of kids out of school.  Sooo many are transitioning over to homeschool, but then I've seen pushback that homeschool doesn't have enough government oversight, etc.  The whole thing seems just so frustrating.

I’m glad you are able to homeschool. My ex husband’s parents were missionaries in another country when he was growing up, so his mom homeschooled them until they learned enough of the language. He said he got his work done in a few hours and then had the rest of the day to play. He was always a learner because of that - if he had a question, he would go research it and learn all about it.

The getting kids back to school thing is tough. I even have concerns about my own son’s emotional status. The emotional well being of kids is what I see as a problem. Just like what you described about your friend’s daughter- I do see some of that.

The social isolation is a problem. Some are so depressed and they have given up on school. We have made some exceptions for “limited in person instruction” that is allowed through state guidelines.

But. Nearly all kids are going to be “behind” academically. We will just have to adjust to that and meet students where they are when we can.  We are all in the same predicament across the world.

Cases are going up in our area again. Ugh.

• Sad 1

Students are back a few days a week. I’m still working at home for several reasons (one being my health and stamina). But - it is great that the students are able to be back - with masks and hand washing and distance and air purifier fans all over the place.

They are so happy!

We had staff meeting today and staff members were full of happy tears.

My friend took a long term sub job to teach in middle school (a different part of the state) because the regular teaching is dying of cancer. So sad. But - this is my friend, J, who has been grieving for so many years as each of her immediate family members has died. For the first time in years, I see some resilience and a spark of life in her! So I am very happy for her, and also that she can be there to support the students during this difficult time. 

Younger son called me yesterday and we chatted for a while. I’m just listening to him and supporting him. He has not mentioned anything more about the pandemic “hoax” and I’m not going to try to convince him. He is working hard on a final project and he’ll be done this June.

Older son texted tonight that he is leaving a well established company to joined with a small one that he thinks is going to grow. He had a great boss at his old job, but he was bored with the work assigned to him - no fault of his boss, just the department he was hired into. Now that I write this, it reminds me of his dad - who jumped from department to department at a really big company when he got restless...

Any-who - older son is young with zero financial obligations (a few student loans, that is it) so he figured it was a good time to take a risk.

Checked in with my sisters - one in the Midwest, one on the East coast. Both got their second dose of the vaccine a few weeks ago, so we are vaccinated! 

My youngest sister finished her chemo treatment but now she starts 5 weeks of radiation. She has to drive one hour daily to get there, so hope that works okay. At least the weather is turning warm though. She had to drive through a snowstorm to get to her first chemo last December!

Warm weather here - mid 70s tomorrow and 81 f on Saturday! 

It got up to 81 today! I worked inside all day and even had a space heater on this morning. This afternoon I knocked off work a bit early and went out and mowed the lawn. It was probably very good for me to get out in the sun and fresh air!

I have been wearing a mask when I mow the lawn, in case a neighbor wanders over. I probably don’t need ur so much outside since I am vaccinated. But - I had started wearing it before the vaccine and I think it really helps with my allergies! So - I’ll continue wearing it for that reason. 

While I was out there, some middle school aged students walked by and rode by on their bikes. It occurred to me that they were probably going home from in-school instruction! They looked so happy!

I have plenty more yard work to do, but I don’t have stamina these days. Maybe tomorrow I’ll do more.

Had a great and productive week at work. I love my job (most of the time!)

• Like 1

One of my (Zoom) students asked me what they have done to my old office. She tried to peek in there when she was on campus. It is the “isolation room” in case someone is not feeling well.

Anyhow, that question told me that I am missed by at least that student! I had her tell me all about being there in person (since I can’t be there yet). 

9 hours ago, luminousone said:

One of my (Zoom) students asked me what they have done to my old office. She tried to peek in there when she was on campus. It is the “isolation room” in case someone is not feeling well.

Of all places to make the "isolation room!" Sheesh!

Haha, yeah...

This decision happened last year and they had moved and boxed up my stuff last summer. I was part of the decision. In order to operate in person (and after 1 1/2 years of planning, we just now got permission to start a few weeks ago) each school in our state must satisfy 164 requirements. One of which was the “isolation room”

Hopefully they will never need it.

Just got back from delivering something to my friend C on the other side of town. I passed several “parties” out on the front lawns of various college age kids. No masks. Kiddie pools with unmasked college aged students. Kids hanging out with their red cups, having a great time. 

Watch the case rates in a week or so for Oregon. I bet they will be up!

On the way across town, I counted 5 people with masks on. Out of about 80 people...

The frontal lobes are not fully formed until people are in their late 20s. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 5:32 PM, luminousone said:

Just got back from delivering something to my friend C on the other side of town. I passed several “parties” out on the front lawns of various college age kids. No masks. Kiddie pools with unmasked college aged students. Kids hanging out with their red cups, having a great time. 

Watch the case rates in a week or so for Oregon. I bet they will be up!

On the way across town, I counted 5 people with masks on. Out of about 80 people...

The frontal lobes are not fully formed until people are in their late 20s. 

OMG Unfortunately I was so right on this! Many parts of Oregon have just entered into the Extreme status for COVID. So they are shuttering down places again. It doesn’t really change my habits - although I did order grocery pickup to get stocked up.

Apparently it doesn’t change our school plans yet. I don’t think we have had any cases at the school, although I think they sent a few students home that were coughing or something like that.

I would probably concern them too - something is blooming here today and I have been wheezy and coughing! (But I have not been anywhere so I know for sure it is allergies!)

So glad it is the weekend.

Ugh. The pollen is crazy here and my allergies are really annoying!

I’ve been coughing and wheezy for a few days now. But I have not been anywhere for a few weeks except for no contact grocery pickup in the grocery parking lot. So I know it is allergies. Plus, my temp is normal.

A member of my Zoom book group was so miserable, complete with red nose from the symptoms.

Just now, luminousone said:

I’ve been coughing and wheezy for a few days now. But I have not been anywhere for a few weeks except for no contact grocery pickup in the grocery parking lot. So I know it is allergies. Plus, my temp is normal.

A member of my Zoom book group was so miserable, complete with red nose from the symptoms.

I did get out to mow the lawn but I wore a mask for that. Then I did a saline rinse when I came back in.

7 hours ago, luminousone said:

I did get out to mow the lawn but I wore a mask for that. Then I did a saline rinse when I came back in.

Did that help with the allergies? Sounds like it would. I have a pretty mean grass pollen allergy. Mowing the lawn was the worst!

7 hours ago, luminousone said:

Pollen is super bad here too. My eyes and sinuses are a mess. 

61A78720-D918-40AD-99B2-5D7F90213CD0.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 4:13 AM, Jibralta said:

Did that help with the allergies? Sounds like it would. I have a pretty mean grass pollen allergy. Mowing the lawn was the worst!

Yes - it really does help! I have heard of others that have discovered the same thing in this year of masks! And I’m Oregon, if you live in the valley, the pollen seems to be the worst. 

I wore one last week while mowing, and some teens stopped to film me while driving by. Lol. There is probably some Tik Tok or something like that out there. I think they thought I wore the mask because of COVID, but there was nobody else around and I’m vaccinated. When I turned to ask them, they swore at me and sped off. Sheesh.

45 minutes ago, luminousone said:

I have heard of others that have discovered the same thing in this year of masks!

I actually saw someone mowing their lawn with a mask on today! I figured it was for the pollen. I felt the faint stirrings of memory when I saw it... must have been this conversation, which I'd forgotten about!

47 minutes ago, luminousone said:

I think they thought I wore the mask because of COVID, but there was nobody else around and I’m vaccinated. When I turned to ask them, they swore at me and sped off. Sheesh.

Idiots. Lol.