Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

My Life- Thoughts and Happenings

Today I went to a free outdoor play out in the park. It was cute and fun, and it turns out a friend of mine was in it.

Tomorrow, I go to a different play in another park- my friend's daughter is in that one.

The smoke was not too bad today. It has been smoky and hazy each day, due to wildfires miles away.

I'm trying to make arrangements for a family vacation and visit, but the boys and I have completely different schedules. It is just in the planning stage, but my youngest decided he wants to go to a concert in another part of the state on or near that day. So he texted me to say that I should just fly without him, and he can fly in his own. Sheesh. My 18 year old sure likes to be independent!

• 2 weeks later...

Son is getting ready to go to university. I had a lot of things already from when older son went and we discussed that a few months ago. Somehow he managed to forget, and he has been quite the online shopper. He did all this when he was with his dad.

Yesterday he told me that he got a twin xl sized mattress pad for $60. Holy smokes! I have 2 good ones here he could have gotten for free.

Well, he finally landed here for the next few weeks. I showed him the mattress pad and he said "That's not a mattress pad". Oh yes it is, buddy. What on earth did you buy? Apparently he bought a memory foam mattress topper.

He also bought a black light, a rug, a tiny fridge, 2 "tapestries " (basically printed cloth with paisley like patterns). My goodness, what a consumer.

My older son was always a saver. The younger one, apparently likes to splurge.

I keep reminding him that it is a dorm room with little space.

But it is cute to see his excitement. ..

I just hope he gets some studying done.

Will you need a truck 😀

My ex has a truck now (my old one). Haven't spoken to my ex directly, but both of us plan to help my son on move-in day, at my son's request. I don't want to miss the milestone day. And I don't want to be carrying heavy boxes, so I welcome the help from my son's dad.

He and my son can also fiddle around with adjusting the bed height which involves tools, etc.

My sister had to evacuate her home and business due to natural gas explosions near her town. She is fine- but I hope her home and business are!

My poor sis - she had already been traumatized by the Boston Marathon bombing some years ago where she ran barefoot for her life when the front of her office building was blasted out.

I really hope her home and business are okay, but the news said there were several fires in several homes due to the gas lines being over pressurized.

She can't go back to her house or business until they give the all clear. They had to take some of their business with them (they are staying at her business partner's house), but they have had to essentially close up until the electricity is restored and the gas lines are inspected. Several homes burned down.

Better to be safe

My sister's business is up and running again. I forgot to ask if her house was one of the many fires that happend during the naural gas explosions. But then I think she would have told me.

I got my son off to university so now both boys are hither and yon!

It will likely hit me in a few weeks because I'm used to my son staying with his dad, alternating with me.

Tough week at work. Something very important got screwed up, and I had the lovely task of talking with a professional who is closely tied to the project. She was miffed and indignant that I would even insinuate, and adamant that she followed all of the rules.

I tried to frame it as questions, but she immediately went on the defensive. I handed it over to my boss. Ack. I feel bad - she is a very sweet person. But- the evidence points her way.

Something very important got screwed up, and I had the lovely task of talking with a professional who is closely tied to the project. She was miffed and indignant that I would even insinuate, and adamant that she followed all of the rules.

Ugh, god. I so tired of 'professionals' and their ridiculous egos. Tell her to shove her ego up her ass and fix her damned mistake. LOL.

Beside the stressful week I had at work, I also ran a children's ministry meeting tonight. I was already stressed from work, and this meeting was going to be a tough one. We have strong personalities on the committee who don't do change very well. Our minister couldn't be there. I'm so relieved - it was a very civil meeting and we got a lot done! So relieved! !!

• 2 weeks later...

My younger son caught a ride home from the university this afternoon. We had an early dinner, and he packed a few more things to take back with him. He got the stickers renewed on his motorcycle so he rode that back to school. He is very happy there, and excited about all he is learning.

I took the time to discuss long term consequences of poor choices at his age - in light of what we have learned about our supreme court nominee this week. My son took offense that I didn't trust him, but I told him to humor me and hear me out and he will understand that need if he ever becomes a parent. Hopefully he heard my message.

• 2 weeks later...

That coworker, although nice, seems to be whack-a-doodle. She is actually not an employee but a contracted employee. We are stuck with her for a year.

And the damage she did has not been deleted. Nor do I think she was ever retrained by her boss, although I would not be a part of that conversation.

Although my boss told me to let it go, now that the contracted employee's boss has "taken the situation over", I had a confidential conversation with another contracted professional. She was gearing up to make decisions on the erroneous data collected, and I just couldn't keep quiet.

She was astounded! by what I shared with her, and was going to consult with someone higher up in the organization on what to do. I could not ethically let her use the compromised data. It is a mess. The data was supposed to be deleted from our system. Hasn't happened yet.

• 2 weeks later...