Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Online Dating for the 2nd Time - A Journal

NorthDallas40

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got one more OKC match with a message last night, though nothing promising:

AYA (Asian, 43, 5’6”) - She looks sophisticated, tall, slim, with great legs but somewhat older-looking. We’ve matched before on another app but never talked. Her profile mentioned hiking, and as a chat-line conversation-starter, OKC mentioned she likes horror movies, so I asked about both.

She replied, “Hi ND40. I don't really have a go to hiking trail. I just go with the crowd. Can't think of favorite horror movie either."

Sheesh. Still, I replied today: "Darnit, sorry that those were dead-end topics :( But now I'm curious! What's something that you're excited to talk about?”

———————

LEILEI texted last night: “(Your band's show) is coming up soon, so excited for you. Have not thought about going or not. Am I invited?”

Today I responded: “Of course you’re invited! You’re also free to invited me to do something fun before that day, if you wish :) “

———————

Liking the sound of TING and NESSA. What's an aerial dancer? (I've got visions of those svelte twirlers doing acrobatics on those long pieces of cloth that hang from the ceiling.)

Yep, that’s aerial dancing. And your instincts about NESSA seem to be correct.

She gave me another lengthy reply last night, I responded today, we’ve exchanged numbers, and we’re supposed to chat on the phone tomorrow.

She seems interesting… as far as I can tell, she went to college for industrial design in Taiwan. Then was a massage therapist & snowboard instructor for several years. She dated a caucasian Qi Gong instructor til late last year or so, and ended up getting into designing cute porcelain dolls, selling both those and some very nice handmade dreamcatchers, which I assume she still does now, along with snowboard instruction. The aerial dancing appears to be just a fun hobby/exercise for her, not a career.

The Qi Gong thing gives me pause (too new-agey and woo woo for me), but interestingly she mentions a book called SPIRITUAL BYPASSING as her favorite. It’s about the dangers of using spiritual practices to avoid real life problems, so I’m hoping that her experience with the Qi Gong guy soured her on the pseudo-science :)

In any case, she seems intriguing, is very engaged in conversation with me, and seems pretty hot to boot. Actually she looks a lot like her fellow Taiwanese ADELE from post #5231, but a lot less conventional and more artistic.

So I’m kinda stoked. Within reason, of course.

———————

Nothing from the other seven(!) women that I mentioned previously.

AYA replied this morning.

ME (yesterday): Darnit, sorry that those were dead-end topics :( But now I'm curious! What's something that you're excited to talk about?

AYA: Politics.

AYA: Just kidding.

She's from Mongolia. And if my experience with women from Kazakhstan and Russia is any indication, people from that area simply aren't particularly warm, optimistic, or enthusiastic. Real fun at parties.

AYA replied this morning.

ME (yesterday): Darnit, sorry that those were dead-end topics :( But now I'm curious! What's something that you're excited to talk about?

AYA: Politics.

AYA: Just kidding.

She's from Mongolia. And if my experience with women from Kazakhstan and Russia is any indication, people from that area simply aren't particularly warm, optimistic, or enthusiastic. Real fun at parties.

She should look for a dentist. They like pulling teeth.

I messaged AYA back, telling her I was good at avoiding talking politics with strangers and gave her my number. No reply, nor do I expect one.

LEILEI never got back to me after I told her the time of my show this Sunday, confirmed my invitation, and suggested she could ask me out to do something between now and then.

NESSA and I agreed that I'd call her after 7pm tonight, but she'd need a text because her phone is on silent. I texted at 8pm to no reply, then called at 8:30pm to no reply. Around 11:30pm she texted "Sorry, been busy :) "

I got a few other matches on CMB and such. Will look into them tomorrow since these wells have run dry.

I texted NESSA today, using a bunch of emojis to communicate that it was lame she didn't pick up, good that she apologized, and that I'd welcome a rescheduling of our phone call.

She replied immediately, we had some fun back and forth that she ultimately said was "cute," and agreed to talk tomorrow at 2pm. So she's redeemed herself for now.

And I really want to meet her... cos she has some sexy cosplay costume photos from a few years ago that are... (picture Squiggy biting his knuckle)

Flurry of activity last night for some reason...

OKC match GWEN (Korean-American?) finally got back to me, saying she'd been busy at work and at a friend's funeral in Hawaii(!), but that she'd love to connect.

The Taiwanese OKC woman from post #6898 also texted me enthusiastically about going hiking. Let's call her DAMA (43, 5'2")

LEILEI texted back last night that she's got visitors for the next three weeks so she can't come to my show, but suggested that we get together next weekend for something fun when her guests go out of town.

Guess these women's Friday nights are as low-key as mine.

--------

Also got a couple of Asian OKC matches... both seem a bit heavier than I'd prefer, but possibly cute. Not sure if I want to reply or not.

--------

Going to try a second phone call to NESSA in a few hours.

Talked to NESSA on the phone for 45 minutes, and it was fun. Turns out she founded a snowboard gear company with a very past ex, founded a snowboard instruction organization with another friend after that, then last year started making figurines as a way to meet people in the community where her Qi Gong ex lived. I think she quit the figurine thing, and the friend she took to the airport today was the snowboard instruction biz partner in Taiwan. Still not clear if she works very much. Oh well.

As for her spiritual history, she was brought up very Christian for most of her life, and only about 3 years ago started to consciously move away from it, hence her enthusiasm for the SPIRITUAL BYPASSING book. I'm guessing the Qi Gong ex was part of this aspect of "loving herself."

In any case, she was cheerful and animated, well-spoken, and agreed to meet up after July 4th. She just said to keep in touch and we can plan from there.

------------------

I messaged GWEN that I'd love to chat on the phone when she's ready. She has my number, I don't have hers.

I texted LEILEI that next Saturday works for me, and asked if she had any activity ideas or if I should think of some.

Finally I texted DAMA to ask if she'd like to chat on the phone one night this week.

LEILEI texted back about 3 hours ago, saying next Saturday was good, but she has a kid's party to go to from 5:30pm-7:30pm so we'd need to do something during the day.

I didn't reply, but she just now texted again that she's available for dinner tonight if I want to go. :o

Unfortunately, I'm not in a social mood and it's Saturday night so most nice restaurants will be packed. If we were already romantically involved, I'd jump at the chance. But since I'm pretty sure I haven't made it out of the friendzone yet, I'm not all that inclined to rush out for a last-minute dinner with her.

I texted NESSA today about getting together for dinner next week. At first she replied, yes, next week was good.... but 10 minutes later texted:

"Sorry, let me be honest here. :( . I feel overwhelming from talking and plan to meet up with new friends. I don't feel like to go out because I feel it's polite to do so. Can you wait a little more? I don't want to waste your time here too. But I really can't everyone happy."

I texted back that I understood, thanked her for being upfront, and suggested I could get back in touch with her later next week.

She replied "Ok tks"

--------------

GWEN replied that she's still in Hawaii passing time, mentioning that it would be better with a significant other. I told her to get in touch when she gets back. Again, she has my number, I don't have hers.

--------------

I turned down LEILEI for dinner this past Sat but let her know that I was off work this coming Thu & Fri if those worked better than next Sat to get together. She texted back that she's working those days, but was up for fireworks after 8pm on Thu. I texted this morning that that sounded great, and asked if she had a preferred place to go.

--------------

DAMA replied that tomorrow night at 9pm was good for her for a first phone call, and that we should confirm it earlier in the day. I replied that I was good at confirming things since I'm the leader of a band, and that's like herding cats. She replied today that she looked up that expression and it meant what she guessed it would, and asked my band's name.

--------------

Speaking of the band, we played a killer show this past Sunday night. It was a small crowd, but they loved us, the openers were a band that featured two founding members of my group (and all is good with them now, no hard feelings anymore), we made some good connections, and my ex-coworker filmed us with his 4K camera so we should have some good footage to use soon.

Also our single was released to all digital platforms yesterday, and preorders are up for the vinyl 45. I've not really done much promotion outside of FB/IG but we've already sold 10 copies of the vinyl in 2 days (we only pressed 500), and I'm DJing an event next weekend that will serve as a sort of record release party. All is going great! :)

"Also our single was released to all digital platforms yesterday, and preorders are up for the vinyl 45. I've not really done much promotion outside of FB/IG but we've already sold 10 copies of the vinyl in 2 days (we only pressed 500), and I'm DJing an event next weekend that will serve as a sort of record release party. All is going great! :)"

Very exciting! And I love remembering vinyl 45s!

CURRENT:

Nothing from NESSA since the plan is for me to text her late next week.

Nothing from GWEN; I assume she'll holler when she's back in town.

LEILEI had told me the other day that she was getting a sore throat when she suggested going to see fireworks, and last night said it wasn't getting better so she'd have to cancel since she's working both today and tomorrow. I texted back that I'm still up for hike & lunch this Saturday if she's feeling better by then.

Had a pleasant phone chat with DAMA last night. She was cheerful, enthusiastic and giggly, but also well-spoken and is in the same field as me so we had work stories in common. I'll bet $5 she's chubbier than I prefer, but we plan to meet for dinner next Tuesday.

NEW:

SOOK (38, 5'2", graphic designer, looks Korean, might be a bit on the chubby side, has a 3-yo daughter) is a new match from CMB. We've not really chatted but I asked for her number and she texted it to me, so I asked her to let me know a good time for me to call her.

JEE-HYUN (46, 5'4", creative director, looks Korean-American) is a new match from Hinge. I'd seen her profile on other apps before and she always looked interesting, but nothing ever came of it until now. She matched up, we messaged, and she agreed - against her own rules - to meet for dinner next Wednesday (she prefers just a drink). I have a feeling we'll have a lot in common, but that she may be a little heavy/athletic and from her messages I already get the impression she could be a Debbie Downer.

LEILEI needed to have the airbags in her car replaced, so she asked that I pick her up at the car dealership this morning at 9am.

I did so and we had a thoroughly pleasant chat, hike and lunch.

At the end, I dropped her back off at the dealership with a friendly hug.

About an hour later, she texted to thank me for the hike, that she liked the new restaurant, said a beer would have been great (I had mentioned a beer after a hike is tasty), and sent me a funny photo of her wearing a cosmetic face mask because we talked about them on the hike.

She looked great and I still definitely want to have sex with her, but since she didn't really send any romantic signals (though she seemed to thoroughly enjoy our meet), I didn't go down that path. If she wants to be more than hiking buddies, she needs be like Brenton Wood and "Gimme Little Sign."

------------

Nothing from anyone else (the ball's in my court for 2 of them, 2 are out of town, and I'm not supposed to contact the last one until this Friday), though I have gotten a few more matches on the apps.

Eh, maybe LEILEI is just a slow burn. If you enjoy meeting up with her, you can always just keep doing so til you know for sure if there's something there or not!

That's pretty much what I plan to do. If I want to go hiking or do something fun, LEILEI can join DAKOTA in my "activity partner" pile... only with the possible bonus that we might make out if she feels like it. But I'm not expecting anything.

-----------------------

Date with JEE-HYUN was fine tonight, but she's as low-energy in real life as in her texts. She's smart, she's informed, she's creative, she can make good conversation... but she really is a Debbie Downer, seeming to obsess about the state of the world a bit too much, and having been dealt some bad hands in her professional life lately. She's more athletic than I prefer (not fat, but a bit more "sturdy" I guess) but good-looking enough for me.

She seemed to warm up as our 90-minute outing went on, even laughing at my jokes. She had alluded to some bad recent dates in her texts, so when I walked her to her car, I inquired about them. One recent guy (this week!) just talked and talked the whole date, mostly about himself, so I joked about my own performance tonight.

"You weren't that bad," she smiled.

Another guy did the same thing on a 2nd date to the point that she just tuned out from listening completely, and when he realized it, he stood up, yelled at her in the middle of the restaurant and left her with the check.

In any case, though I liked JEE-HYUN and feel we have a lot in common as creative types, I don't see having a lot of fun with her.. unless accompanied with a lot of angst & neurosis. And ain't no one got time for that.

-----------------------

Dinner with DAMA tomorrow, who I don't think I'll click with, but who has been very bubbly & enthusiastic on our texts.

-----------------------

My band's vinyl 45s arrived yesterday and though they look and sound great for the most part... the b-side is pressed off-center (causing a "wobbly" sound) and the labels on a lot of the copies are off-center too, looking really sloppy. I've let the pressing plant know, and I hope they will correct things soon. I'm DJing a record release party this Friday and now can't sell the 45, we've already got mailorders to fulfill, and the release date is July 25. Lame.

DAMA had permed her hair (I'm not a fan of curly hair, but it looked good on her) so she looked a bit different last night than her pictures, but overall she appeared how I thought she would: cute, short, a bit chubby, but not really attractive to me.

She was friendly, bubbly, smart and enthusiastic however, so our 2+ hour dinner was fun. She was quite like DAKOTA in a lot of ways, but more toned-down.

In the end though, I just wasn't feeling any physical or romantic interestm so we just hugged our goodbyes as she lamented the parking ticket she was given while we were at dinner :(

---------------

LEILEI and I texted a bit Sunday through Monday, but nothing substantial or in the way of planning another meetup. If she fades out, that's ok.

---------------

Neither JEE-HYUN nor I have messaged each other. Works for me.

---------------

GWEN messaged me on OKC that she's remaining out of town for another five days, so I'll holler at her when she gets back.

---------------

I'll text NESSA tomorrow, though I have a feeling that's fizzled out.

---------------

Luckily, I've continued to get some matches, including...

PARRA (age 38 listed but she put "40s" in her writeup, 5'6", looks Indian, 90% match)

I think we've matched before but it never went anywhere, and she indeed asked if we'd chatted before, then asked if my pics were recent. I answered, but no reply yet. Long dark hair, very tan, exotic pretty face, tall but with a bit of a belly - she might be really hot IRL, or just merely attractive.

NAMI (41, 5'8", Korean, 93%)

She took awhile to respond to my first message, but has been enthusiastic, fun and responsive once she did. She works with marginalized communities, really pretty with a great genuine smile, seems smart & positive... I'm really excited about her, though her front teeth are a bit crooked.

She seemed reluctant to give out her number or talk on the phone, asking instead to connect on Whatsapp, which I downloaded so we could. Eventually I suggested meeting up, she said she preferred that to a phonecall, and suggested we meet this Saturday. I'm 100% into it, but I'm a bit broke now due to a tax mistake from 2016 I have to resolve, band expenses, and some post-cataract surgery bills I wasn't expecting. So I'm hoping my paycheck comes through tomorrow and not Monday!

Last year I went out with NEELA (https://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447092&p=6951078&viewfull=1#post6951078) for a few weeks.

When she dozed off at dinner on our 5th date, I decided not to pursue further.

She texted me about 2 weeks later, asking how my week was going and if "would it be too awkward to meet up as just friends."

I didn't reply, and she didn't text me again. Until now:

"Hi ND40"

What the h*ll is wrong with people!

I read that she lived right across the street from Dakota. Do they know eachother at this point?

No, but I told DAKOTA awhile back. She always laughs when I bring it up, especially since as a proud Tokyo-born woman, she enjoys laughing at Koreans' expense anyway.

Anyway, I texted back something to the effect of "What is this craziness?" using a pun on NEELA's name.

She replied, "Just saying hi. I miss your witty banter."

I could only think of snarky replies so I didn't.

Archived