Losing weight on a low budget and late shifts

quirky

I am trying to lose some weight, about 15lbs. I am extremely poor at the moment and can't buy meat or fish. I also can't buy too much salad, veg or fruit unless they are on an offer. I have been eating mainly

Pasta with half fat feta cheese

Humous half fat

Eggs and beans

Bread and low fat cheese sandwich

Is this bad diet?

I can skip snacks, junk food no problemo.. but I am addicted to pasta, I could never stop eating it.

I have 2 bags of dry chick peas and will cook them to keep me going while I am poor.

I also work a lot of evening shifts which leaves me eating late, like about 22:00. I can't eat when I am at work, I work in Customer Service.

Anyone got any tips? I haven't been on a diet as such but been careful yet I haven't lost a single pound. I haven't been hungry truth be told.

I am trying to lose some weight

but I am addicted to pasta, I could never stop eating it.

I haven't lost a single pound

You wrote then solution to your own problem.

If you're consuming lots of pasta, and you can't cut back, or better yet eliminate it altogether, you're not going to see results.

The key to weight loss is controlling your insulin levels. Your body will not burn fat when your insulin is elevated.

Refined carbs (pasta, white bread, white rice) all hit the body pretty quickly which spike insulin levels. Not very good when you're trying to lose weight.

i've been logging what I eat over at myfitnesspal and counting cals. Doesn't work for me if all my cals are carbs, but if I eat more of my cals in protein then I lose better because I'm not shocking my system.

Shop around and look for good deals on meat. One shop I go to does chicken breast for a tenner. Even though that feels like a lot, it will feed me for a good few meals and is cheaper in the long run.

You can purchase frozen fruits and veggies that'll last longer and won't be as expensive as fresh. I'd also purchase a tub of whey protein if you can save a bit to purchase to mix with either wather or unsweetened almond milk. It turns out to be a cheap and quick breakfast in the morning at least for me. I would work on your addiction to pasta because if you eat tons of it you aren't going to lose weight.

Refined carbs (pasta, white bread, white rice) all hit the body pretty quickly which spike insulin levels. Not very good when you're trying to lose weight.

Why is that bad, what does it do? I am not sure what insulin is, sorry

Is it bad to eat pasta even if I don't put a sauce on it ?

How about cous cous or basmati rice?

I can't spend £10 on meat atm, it's probably my weekly shopping budget for the next week but maybe I'll look around places like Iceland.

Insulin is a hormone that regulates the way your cells use sugar. When you eat refined carbs then there is too much sugar loaded onto your system for the insulin to deal with right away so it doesn't get used. It turns to fat. (And in some cases, diabetes.)

Pasta every now and then isn't bad. Pasta every day is not good. And basmati (white) rice. Brown rice and pasta are available which are better for you.

Seriously, I would look at frozen veggies in the freezer isles and stock up there. You can eat healthily on a budget, but it won't be very exciting

How is it legal that your employers don't give you a break to eat something? That doesn't seem possible if it's a legitimate job in the UK.

If you can afford cheese, you can afford fruit and vegetables. They are not going to cost you more in the long run if you plan well and buy the right ones. However, you do have to learn some basic recipes in order to use the vegetables you buy. Think bulk- soups, stews, etc. Make it one day and freeze it for the week. And bring lots of snacks with you like nuts, fruit, popcorn (not microwave), etc.

Losing weight is basically about how many calories you take in vs. what you burn. However, the quality of those calories is important, because if you are only allotted a certain number of them every day, you want to eat things that will keep you full. Carbs are not necessarily going to keep you full for very long, because they mainly provide a burst of energy. Proteins, [good] fats, whole grains, etc.- they will keep you full.

If you absolutely have to have pasta, get the half-wheat kind. And start adding more whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat bread, etc.

And don't just change your diet. You have to add some exercise, too. Just trying to regulate your eating is unrealistic and unhealthy.

Wow, never knew pasta is an issue, there are so many pasta dishes I thought everyone eats it. I have a bag of brown pasta, I'll try that.

I do get breaks but not for 5 hours. So for example today I just ate (it's 14:00 here) and I will leave for work, I will finish work at 20:30 and will be home at 21:30. I won't get a break at work. I had 2 eggs, toast and baked beans so there's protein there should make me last all these hours.

Losing weight is basically about how many calories you take in vs. what you burn.

I understand...I think at the moment I'm just not gaining, I'm not losing. I think the soup idea is great, I made one the other week and only used 2 potatoes and half broccoli which is not expensive.

You'd be better off eating the sauce alone.

lololol..

you could google insulin, insulin resistance, insulin sensitivity.

I'll look into that.

It sounds like you're just loading up on too many carbohydrates (pasta, bread, beans, potatoes). I know that the cost of living is much more expensive in the UK than in the US, but I would assume that frozen vegetables are still relatively affordable.

I'd would start replacing some of those carbs with less starchy vegetables (leafy greens like spinach) and protein (egg whites, a whey protein shake, tuna). Even after racking my brain, I find it hard to think of meats that aren't a little pricey. But if you can invest in some frozen fish and meats (namely shrimp, unbreaded chicken breast), you'll be able to stock them for long periods and have something on hand that won't expire.

Pasta = empty calories. It's a way of making you feel full while getting close to no nutritional benefit.

My recommendation, especially if you're low on cash, is to rely on beans and frozen vegetables. Fresh vegetables are indeed expensive, but you can usually get big bags of frozen vegetables that will last a long time. And they'll still have all the nutritional value of fresh vegetables.

I would also cut out cheese entirely. Cheese is fatty and high calorie, and doesn't provide the nutritional benefit to justify it.

I also recommend stocking up on colorful vegetables and emphasizing them in your meals (even breakfast). Fresh mature kale and spinach are sometimes cheaper here than salad greens (and kale keeps better) so I'll cook up a big batch of that with garlic and a touch of feta, and find it very satisfying, plus it lasts for several meals. When I do buy meat I use it sparingly, almost as a topping to the greens, or I'll use nuts sparingly. Frozen vegetables and berries are good to keep on hand. Even salt-free canned vegetables, and low sugar canned fruits are better than pasta, bread, and grains. I find that as I grow older grains and dairy products add pounds (and weigh me down) much easier than they used to.

I would also cut out cheese entirely. Cheese is fatty and high calorie, and doesn't provide the nutritional benefit to justify it.

I agree, especially if we're talking about cheese slices, which are injection moulded hydrogenated vegetable oil, colouring, and artificial flavour.

But be careful not to cut out all sources of fat. I know it sounds counter-productive, but eating fat helps you lose fat.

Canned Chunk Light Tuna (in water) is very cheap and extremely healthy. On average it costs about 0.50 - 0.60 per can. It is almost completely fat free, only 120 calories for an entire can (4oz after draining the water) and extremely high in protein (26g per can) and no carbs or sugar. Pretty low in sodium too... Although it isn't recommended to eat every day or ever meal for sure, but if you eat it a couple times a week it's great for you and cheap.

If you can afford cheese you can most definitely afford dried beans, frozen veg and fruit, onions, garlic, eggs, quinoa, millet, brown rice...

Dried beans especially are SO CHEAP and you can easily make a soup or veggie stew with beans, mixed veg, spices, and maybe an egg dropped in, topped w salsa...yadayada.

Cut it out with the cheese and pasta...there are much better, more wholesome and cheaper sources of fats carbs and protein than that!

I agree, especially if we're talking about cheese slices, which are injection moulded hydrogenated vegetable oil, colouring, and artificial flavour.

But be careful not to cut out all sources of fat. I know it sounds counter-productive, but eating fat helps you lose fat.

Yeah, about 90% of daily fat intake comes from avocado and nuts (usually almonds). Avocado is expensive but I absolutely love it. It's very versatile and can be used like butter when making wraps or sandwiches.

Yeah, about 90% of daily fat intake comes from avocado and nuts (usually almonds). Avocado is expensive but I absolutely love it. It's very versatile and can be used like butter when making wraps or sandwiches.

I'm not a huge fan of avocado.

I prefer coconut oil and pure almond butter

It's a really bad diet. Majority of your calories should be coming from fruits and vegetables. All you're eating are carbs and fats, which are the 2 worst things if you're trying to lose weight.

For losing weight, I'd go with eating fat over fruit.

If you eat an equal amount of calories of fat and fruit, the fruit will make you fatter due to the insulin response.

Of course it sounds ridiculous - eat fat lose fat.

A lot of the stuff I read is confusing me..

Where are the fats..? I don't eat fatty sauces or junk food or chocolates. Neither bacon, deep fried things or the skin of chicken etc.

Feta cheese- half fat

cheddar cheese- less than half fat

humous- half fat

I don't have too much cheese, 2 slices a day tops. I am not on a hard core diet, just trying to lose weight slowly, maybe 4 lbs a month. If I drop ALL cheese and pasta I will just gain weight back when I stop.

I have admitted my addiction to pasta. I bought some cauliflower and broccoli to replace the pasta. Also got some cheap ham.

I'll also cook the dry chick peas I have which should last me a while. I'll have a look at the frozen stuff. Someone mentioned tuna. I don't like it much, I feel like I am eating fabric ! But I have extra light mayo, is it ok to eat it like that in a sandwich? It's tough not to have a sandwich (I use wholemeal bread) because sometimes I eat one for breakfast to keep me going for 5 hours before I get a break from work.

I was ok today because I ate the protein meal I think, I didn't get too hungry although I didn't eat for 6.5 hours. I came back and prepared my meal for tomorrow. Mixed beans, basmati rice with coconut, rocket, pumpkin seeds and parsley. I have a 12 hour shift tomorrow, it should keep me going.

One last question : am I supposed to be hungry?

For losing weight, I'd go with eating fat over fruit.

If you eat an equal amount of calories of fat and fruit, the fruit will make you fatter due to the insulin response.

Of course it sounds ridiculous - eat fat lose fat.

It's all about calories in vs calories out. The only time any food will make you fatter regardless of what it consists of is if you ate more calories that day than you expended. I'd eat fruit over fat because you could eat like 2 entire large applies which will make you feel full or one tiny pat of butter or bite of cheese which won't make you feel full at all and both have the same number of calories. Plus, there are other vitamins, nutrients, and micro nutrients in fruit that you don't get from fat. I've never done any kind of fad diet or paid attention to insulin. Any time I've wanted to lose weight, I just make sure I burn more calories than I take in. You need that defecit for your body to burn your fat reserves which is how you lose weight. I often follow a pretty strict cycling training program and it depends 100% on fat and carb reserves to work and it's all about in vs. out.

Even if you're eating half fat chesse, since cheese is pure fat, you're still eating a high fat, very calorie dense food. Same thing for humus.

A lot of the stuff I read is confusing me..

Where are the fats..? I don't eat fatty sauces or junk food or chocolates. Neither bacon, deep fried things or the skin of chicken etc.

Feta cheese- half fat

cheddar cheese- less than half fat

humous- half fat

I don't have too much cheese, 2 slices a day tops. I am not on a hard core diet, just trying to lose weight slowly, maybe 4 lbs a month. If I drop ALL cheese and pasta I will just gain weight back when I stop.

I agree that you shouldn't cut things out entirely. Just make better choices. Don't get all these low-fat, half-fat cheeses and mayonnaise. Get quality food and eat less of it. I don't know what's in half-fat mayonnaise, but my guess is that they use some kind of artificial ingredients. Be sure to read labels and stay away from processed foods in general. Also, have you tried spaghetti squash? That might satisfy your craving for pasta sometimes.

Bottom line is, eat things that are as close to their original form as possible. Fresh and frozen vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, chicken/fish, and good fats [avocado, dark chocolate, nuts, olive oil]. Learn to cook using lots of spices and vegetables for flavor, like onion, garlic, and green pepper.

Eating like this can actually change your palette and you learn to love having good, quality food that you made, so you know exactly what's in it.

This is what I live by. Whole foods all the way.

I only brought up cheese because you're eating cheese but claiming that you're not able to afford as much fresh produce. But seriously, if you're going to eat some cheese, eat some delicious goddamn cheese! This half fat low fat no fat mumbojumbo stuff is so silly. Just eat less of a more delicious, more satiating, more flavourful full fat cheese, milk, sour cream, yogurt, mayo, or whatever it is!

Egg yolk is great too!

Archived