Feeling Lost

Johnp82

Just a rant.

I feel so lost right now. I'm sitting here studying for the Bar Exam and I just feel so unprepared and overwhelmed. It's in a week and I just don't know if I can handle it. All these thoughts keep running through my head, like can I pass, will I even get a job if I pass (knowing the market for lawyers), do I even want to be a lawyer?

I just feel tremendously unhappy with my professional life and I don't know how to change it. I feel like I've exhausted every option I have. I've looked for non-legal jobs, tried networking, applying, interviewing, even considering more school, , but nothing seems to be working. I'm grossly underemployed and everyday I feel like a little part of me dies.

Any advice or encouragement would be nice. I just don't know what to do anymore.

You sound incredibly stressed right now, and no wonder, with the bar exam coming up. I think the stress is making you feel hopeless, although the situation you face is temporary. You say you don't know if you can handle it, but I'm pretty sure you can. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a big picture, and in the big picture, trust me, you'll do just fine.

What's the worst that can happen? You take the bar exam, and -- like many people -- maybe you don't pass it the first time. What is the consequence? It means you'll just have to take it again. That's a delay, but it's not the end of the story, right? It doesn't mean you won't ever pass, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't be a lawyer.

In another thread you expressed an interest in tax law. If so, hang onto that. Give it a try. I've had a few careers myself (two main ones, along with a false start in my 20s), and one thing I've learned it that "life" is a long time. Maybe you have a notion that you'll start in on a career and that'll be it. Done. Set for life. But does it have to go that way in order for you to feel like a success? Are there perhaps other measures for how to have a successful life in addition to (or besides) work?

Taking the bar exam is a lot of pressure. I encourage you not to put additional pressure on yourself right now by getting down on yourself or engaging in catastrophic thinking (I've been there, done that). Hang in there!

Archived