Rebuilding my life at 50 is so much harder than I ever thought it would be

I took a big step for me and tried something last night I have never done....went to a painting party! lol I am def not gifted in this area but chose to go to meet new people and try new things. Check out my painting. It looks like my 7 year old did it! lol but it was fun and I connected with some new people which was really the goal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read your first post, then kinda jumped to your last..you sound in much better spirits now.

My story parallels yours in a lot of ways. I, too, was married in my late 20s..divorced in 2005. My exh left me when i was sick. I then had a horrible rebound rel'ship with an older guy who turned out to be verbally abusive. I look much younger than I am (I'm 44), and i'm a model. So I tend to get a lot of younger guys coming onto me. My last 2 relationships were with guys in their 20s. The first one was off/on for 4 yrs and he had a drinking problem. This last one..I thought things were wonderful between us, but he dumped me out of the blue a little over a week ago.

I also tend to hang out with younger people. I don't have kids and I like to do things younger people do. It's not a matter of "reliving my youth" - I have no interest in that. I just don't find myself attracted to people who are routinized, domesticated..whose lives revolve around their kids.

I'm ok with being single but a little tired of this find someone/breakup roller coaster. Anyway, I'll keep track of your progress, and feel free to PM me. Sounds like you and I both have been in some seriously codependent rel'ships in our lives. ALl I can say, is al-anon, which I got into after being w the guy w the drinking problem, helped me immeasurably.

I just turned 47. So I completely understand how this feels. I also ended a 4 year relationship in June. Divorced 8 years ago, another R gone sour, 50 coming soon, and wondering if I will ever find someone!

It can get to me sometimes.

But I agree. We need to enjoy the life we have, whatever we do have in it.

You're only 47! Don't say 50 is coming soon because you have three whole years! Enjoy the rest of your 40s and don't worry about the big 5-0! ;-) Having reached this milestone in 2011, it is not that awful and we should be thankful we make it this far, no? It's tough for women because the media paints 50 out to be the virtual death knell for women's attractiveness. We turn 50, none of the attractive guys our age will date us (even if we are attractive!), they want women under 40. Whatever. I think when we reach 60, the good lord willin', we'll look back at 50 and say "Oh, I was so young....and vibrant...and great looking." That's how I feel about 40 and some people freak about turning 40!

I spent an entire week with a bunch of octogenarians recently and that was a really good reminder that we have to enjoy our (relative) youth while we have it. I've always struggled with fear of aging but it was eye opening to spend 7 days with cool people in their 80s who still enjoy life, despite all the problems that come with age.

Got it! Thanks for the cyberwhack! lol

I agree. Enjoy the years we have. I'm trying.

I was just talking to my brother about this....about how when we were young our parents were younger than I am now, and we thought they were SO OLD! I don't feel old. My body doesn't always agree, but my mind does it's own thing on most days.

My parents are almost 80 now and not nearly as active the people you describe. But I tell you what....I am going to enjoy every day and pray I get to my 80's too!

Staying on course but had a pretty rough weekend. I have two people in my life that I considered friends to some degree although the relationships were less than a year. One has been telling me they wanted to get together and has been reaching out to me for the past month. Unfortunately I have been traveling a lot and have not had time. Everything seemed fine and I called on Thursday and got voice mail. Asked them to call me to get together and got nothing back so I text. Same result.

So on Sunday sent one more text and got a short response saying "it's for the best we don't stay friends" I was like...huh? Asked for an explanation and nothing. So I let it go. I just don't understand some people. Anyways, I don't need people like that in my life. Damn, some people are such good fakes!!! I am usually pretty good at reading people but I am starting to wonder. lol

On a positive note, I did meet some nice people at the bible study last Tuesday and will continue to develop those relationships. I will try to pick who I invest in a little more wisely. I really want to rebuild my circle of friends and will continue to attempt to surround myself with quality people. It just kinda sucks and set me back a little. It is hard enough to start over but doing it alone is difficult.

• 4 years later...

Archived