A question about Tylenol 3

Blackey

So tomorrow i am going to have my nose packing removed ( I had a deviated septum surgery and they placed packing in my nose)

The removing procedure is extremely unpleasant to say the least, i think the average person would say that taking out the packing is equivalent to have your brain pulled out from your nose.

I never used Tylenol 3 in my life, and the regular Tylenol i took only once in my life, so I dont think i have any resistance to it.

I am thinking how many Tylenol 3 pills should i take to get the best painkiller effect while not overdosing.

The nurse in the hospital told me to take 1, but im afraid that it might not be enough.

Thanks Falks.

If you haven't had much exposure to tylenol or codeine - 1 may well be sufficient. Not sure what the dosage on your individual pills is, 30 or 60 mg codeine, but the MAX recommended single dose is 60mg for the codeine. Codeine can be fairly potent - and if you're not used to it, taking too much can cause several unwanted side effects.

I'd take the one the nurse recommended, you can always call in and ask if it's safe to take a second pill if the pain seems too much to handle, or if you can take a plain tylenol with one of the tylenol 3s. The max dosage on the codeine is reached awfully quickly, I wouldn't take a second one unless the doc okays it.

Sorry if i sounded irrational, it's just i never had an experience with Tylenol 3, and tomorrow I will go through a really painful experience, so

I just want to make sure that i will do all i can to reduce the amount of pain, and I didnt mean for you to think that I

want to swallow a whole bunch of them, my debate is between 1 or 2 pills, on the box it says that i can take 2 tablets, so

this is the max that im willing to push.

Angel Irulan, thanks for caring, but you got me all wrong...

on the box it says that i can take 2 tablets

Then it should be "ok" to take 2, if this is just over the counter medication, and you have no known intolerances, and that is the dosage the box states.

I'm not sure it will give you the effect you desire but it may help take the edge off after, if you are sore.

My husband had that surgery done and although removing the packing hurts, take comfort in knowing it is very quick. Sort of like the way taking off a bandaid stuck to skin hurts, but it is over before you know it. Hopefully you will be breathing easier soon and this will all be a distant memory.

Tylenol 3 is an easy drug to be allergic to without knowing it. I had to take it about 6 years ago for a staph infection wound packing and it turns out I'm very allergic. My sister is as well I've found out. For me it started with being very numb in the face, especially the mouth, like I'd just had novacaine at the dentist. My doctor informed me to stop taking it immediately. My sister just got very sick on it.

Just had to share all that just in case!

I would do what the nurse said and start with 1. If that doesn't knock the pain back after an hour to 90 minutes then you might be able to take 2 - but this depends on how much acetaminophen is in each pill. There is a limit on how much of that you can take in a day before your liver starts having problems. And the guidelines were just recently reduced from what they used to let you take.

It's best to call your doctor and check with them for advice if you are having any sort of difficulty or concern. Perhaps you can tell them before the procedure how concerned you are about the pain. Maybe they can give you a local anesthetic to help you get through the procedure.

That is just nuts to come here and ask a question like this when the nurse already told you what to do. Don't ban me for saying it mods but this is a dangerous attitude by the poster!!!!

Angel our site exists to ask questions. I'd appreciate you not condemning a poster for doing exactly that. There's nothing dangerous in his question, it's completely reasonable to have doubts and concerns about a painful procedure.

^^^^

Yes, you can get codeine over the counter in Canada but only Tylenol 1's.They are behind the pharmacist counter though and you have to have a good reason to ask for them and they can deny you them if they feel you do not have a valid reason. Anything above that is prescription. OP if you are not used to codeine take 1 and see how it goes. If there is not significant pain reduction I would take another. Never take more than 2 every 6 to 8 hours though. The acetaminophen can be toxic as well if you take too much.

You can get codeine over the counter in Canada??

Someone just got excited. Hahaha OP, I had knee surgery and had to practically beg for t3's haha. One will be sufficient. Two you will most likely feel pretty damn lightheaded, depending on how your body reacts to it. Stick to 1, it'll definitely make the pain manageable.

Sorry, I don't think it's legal in the USA to take this over the counter, as a matter of fact, I know it's not. In Canada it's legal? Well, truly I didn't know. It's a drug that it's easy to be addicted to quickly, and you can overdose on it. I think it's always dangerous to ask a specific medical question and get responses that might be contrary to what his docs have said.

When it comes to medicine and YOU always do what your docs say, not everyone else.

Angel

Sorry, I don't think it's legal in the USA to take this over the counter, as a matter of fact, I know it's not. In Canada it's legal? Well, truly I didn't know. It's a drug that it's easy to be addicted to quickly, and you can overdose on it. I think it's always dangerous to ask a specific medical question and get responses that might be contrary to what his docs have said.

When it comes to medicine and YOU always do what your docs say, not everyone else.

Angel

Yes, Tylenol 1 is legally given from the PHARMACIST in Canada. I live in Canada and I know yes it is legal. Tylenol 1 has 8mg of codeine whereas Tylenol 3's have 30mg of codeine. I am sure not every person knows they can get Tylenol 1 from the Pharmacist and not everyone is going to get it either. I suffer from horrendous migraines 15 days a month so I know that you can get Tylenol 1's as my dr told me where to get them. I do not take them very much anymore, but as MakeitCount said, the addictions come from the more serious amounts in Tylenol 3 for after surgery, or people with severe chronic pain. After surgery you are give ONE prescription for maybe 20 pills usually and that is it. It is not like you are going to get anymore.

Archived