Shopping for wedding rings

My bf and I are talking about getting married. We are on a tight budget so we need to get affordable rings, but I want something that will last a long time. We are looking at some of the upcoming Black Friday sales (JC Penney is having some fantastic sales!). Can anyone offer advice on how to pick which ring we want? Is it good to look together as long as we don't buy in front of each other? Can I make suggestions to him? How do we decide how much to spend?

Also, I was looking at some sterling silver rings to suggest to him for me. Does sterling silver last a long time?

Also, if anyone has had a good or bad experience with a certain store or company, please share.

Thank you!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, for him, I need something strong as he does manual labor. I'm thinking tungstun. Are there any other metals that are really good for this? He prefers silver to gold.

I can't decide which color I want since I have jewelry of each color that I love and I don't want them to be mismatched but at the same time, two-colored is hard to find and usually costly.

The two of you need to decide together what you can afford, then look in that range. You could check out pawn shops, as well as department stores and jewelry stores. Remember that you can sometimes get better deals at higher end stores than lower ones, so don't limit yourself too much.

Personally, I think it makes much more sense to shop and choose together. It maybe doesn't fit the "romantic" idea, but you can have a lot of fun together and, even more importantly, you can be sure to get something that you'll want to wear the rest of your life. Wearing a ring you don't really like for the next 50 years isn't terribly romantic. Throw the "rules" away and do what make you and your boyfriend the happiest. That's all that matters.

If you're waiting a while to get married, why are you looking for a wedding ring for him?

For what it's worth, my ring was $180 from link removed (it's my engagement ring...I opted not get have a wedding ring so I just have the one) and my husband's ring is tungsten and I got it from amazon (seriously) for $60.

If you're on a tight budget, maybe it would be better to put it on hold and wait until you are both a little better off financially. I would think that any reputable jewllers would have good quality rings, so you really can't go wrong (imo).. But that said, it is a little confusing, and I agree with Hers above - if you're waiting to get married, then why look for wedding rings NOW? I don't get it.

I don't get it either - where's the rush?

For the record, I think it's silly to NOT go wedding ring shopping together. You both need to find something that suits you and who is the best judge of that - You. And if you want to have matching rings, then you definitely need to go together. Amazon has some really good ones for cheap.

That being said, I say wait a bit. If you're literally scraping up cash to buy a "cheap" (let's say, 70-80$) pair of his/her wedding rings, then you really shouldn't be getting married.

The two of you need to decide together what you can afford, then look in that range. You could check out pawn shops, as well as department stores and jewelry stores. Remember that you can sometimes get better deals at higher end stores than lower ones, so don't limit yourself too much.

Personally, I think it makes much more sense to shop and choose together. It maybe doesn't fit the "romantic" idea, but you can have a lot of fun together and, even more importantly, you can be sure to get something that you'll want to wear the rest of your life. Wearing a ring you don't really like for the next 50 years isn't terribly romantic. Throw the "rules" away and do what make you and your boyfriend the happiest. That's all that matters.

I agree. We looked at some the other day together and it was fun. (We also laughed at some of the prices, lol and were terrified at others, haha)

If you're waiting a while to get married, why are you looking for a wedding ring for him?

For what it's worth, my ring was $180 from link removed (it's my engagement ring...I opted not get have a wedding ring so I just have the one) and my husband's ring is tungsten and I got it from amazon (seriously) for $60.

No Amazon for me, I had a very bad experience with them, ended up having to have my credit card company demand they fix all that they screwed up on there and I told my credit card to block them from every charging me again, long horrible story. I don't know yet if we are getting married soon or not, and since we are looking at rings for me anyway, I figure, hey kill two birds with one stone, and see what he likes. Also, since Black Friday is coming up, we are thinking of buying the rings then so we can afford something a little nicer for each other. We're both bargain hunters.

I don't get it either - where's the rush?

For the record, I think it's silly to NOT go wedding ring shopping together. You both need to find something that suits you and who is the best judge of that - You. And if you want to have matching rings, then you definitely need to go together. Amazon has some really good ones for cheap.

That being said, I say wait a bit. If you're literally scraping up cash to buy a "cheap" (let's say, 70-80$) pair of his/her wedding rings, then you really shouldn't be getting married.

No, it's not that bad. Definitely nothing cheap. I want a good quality ring for myself and for him. Some I was looking at today were around $150 with the Black Friday price.

You call them wedding rings here yet say elsewhere you'll wait a while to get married. What will you do with them? Wear them? Put them up toll the wedding?

I didn't say that we decided to wait yet. We aren't sure. But in a way, that is the plan yes. I want my wedding ring and my engagement ring to match, so he is buying the wedding ring when he buys the engagement ring. He said that since we already know we are going to be buying the rings, he wants to surprise me, so he's not going to tell me when he's going to give it to me or how he's going to propose, so I don't really know when we're getting married. But if it's before next BF, why spend $600 down the road when I can buy the ring now for $150 and get the exact same ring?

If you have the mind of a bargain shopper (or the paycheck of a cashier/part time student marrying a lot attendant) then you'd get it, but yeah I know it sounds weird.

As for what they mean, they mean the same thing that any other wedding rings would- that we are in love and want to spend eternity together.

My FI and I are both bargain shoppers, so I get ya. We got a pretty great deal on my ring and I’m proud of that lol

Yep. I can see him and I bragging, I got this ring for four hundred dollars off! I'm not one of those girls that thinks I guy is cheap for using a coupon on a date. I'm more thinking he's stupid if he has a coupon and pays full price instead.

So why get them now? What about next black Friday?

Because we might already be married by then. We will most likely be engaged by then. It's sounding like he might ask me at Christmas time. I was joking with him that he could get me an engagement ring for Christmas and he said he might. Then he was saying that when he proposes he wants to be creative with it and told me a story about his uncle who got a series of boxes, each smaller than the rest, starting with a huge one and wrapped each one. His girlfriend kept unwrapping them to find another one inside until she came to the ring. That was at Christmas time. He also said he might do it at Home Depot since that's where we met. He said if he did, our friend at work who got us together (and is asking when we're finally going to get married) would probably tell me to say yes, lol. But yeah, I think he might be doing it real soon, perhaps at Christmas time.

Haha, that'll make my Christmas gifts for him look really small in comparison.

Ok you're going back and forth. You said you'd like a longer engagment but then you're saying you may be married within the next year. Which is it?

Listen I do think it's great that youre so analytical about it. I admire that. But based on what's in your other thread, I'm not seeing a lot of consistencies and thought into it all.

I am still making some decisions, that doesn't mean I am inconsistent. I said I'd be fine with a longer engagement, not that I am dead set on it and I said I MIGHT be married by next year, not that I would. If we're going to buy the rings anyway, why risk waiting until they are out of our financial reach and have to settle for cheaper rings?

Also, I started this thread asking advice about the rings, not whether or not I should be buying them yet or what you think of my other threads or of me. Please stay on topic as that is a rule of this forum. I started this thread to get advice, not listen to you tell me how much you disapprove of my engagement plans or my shopping.

To not go off-topic, I will say this:

Buy them closer to the wedding date when you, ya know, actually get engaged.

It's better to wait til it's near the actual wedding date. Don't put the cart before the horse. If you get them early and the engagement ends up not working out (if you have a long engagement) then you will not get much money for those rings when you sell them back. They always go for less.

Has he asked you to even marry him yet??? Shouldn't you wait to be asked officially before you go ring shopping??????????????????????????????????????

We're already planning it. He said he's going to ask me, he just isn't saying when, and we both want to buy the rings on Black Friday.

But again, can we stick to any advice about how to actually pick out the rings please?

Archived