What is/was your pregnancy weight gain?

mya00

Hey!

Just wondering what some other ladies out there had for a pregnancy weight gain. It's more insightful to hear from real people instead of looking at some chart. I want to make sure I'm not on course for gaining to much again like last time. Last pregnancy I stopped counting at 40 lbs, and it took me a year to lose all the weight.

Mine so far @ 34 weeks is 28 lbs

Height: 5'3

Pre-pregnancy weight: 116

Thanks!

I gained 25-30 with mine (2), though I was technically "underweight" to begin with, the doctor wanted me to gain more for some weird reason. (Both my girls were extremely healthy, as am I). I think what's important is to eat healthy, maintain an exercise routine if you can, and DON'T start exercising heavily right after the kiddo is born - wait until your doc gives you the a-ok, and the pounds will melt faster. (Straining your body too soon is not good for you or munchkin.) I was back to pre-pregnancy size after about a year (I didn't really do anything to make it happen... so that may be why it took longer for me). They say it takes 9 months to put it on... it should take about that much (for most of us, it's more) to take it back off.

My weight gain was weird. I gained very little the first 4 months. I gained about 20 lbs. the next 4 months, so by my eigth month I had gained 25 lbs. I lost 5 lbs my 9th month, so grand total of weight gain: 20 lbs. The weird thing is, the day I left the hospital, I weighed exactle what I weighed when I got pregnant, 125 lbs. I even fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans easily. I didn't expect this until my mom told me she did the same thing. I loved my mom for giving me her pregnancy genes! She never got stretch marks and neither did I! I was very lucky, I know. The only thing that thanged on my body was my cup size. I went from a B cup to a D cup and I have stayed there for over 20 years.

I was a healthy but 'light' weight before and gained 15 kgs. Lost much more than that and became underweight within a year after she was born, mostly due to pressure at work (finishing dissertation) and breastfeeding (I still do). I am pregnant again, but only 5-6 weeks, and so far I didn't gain. In fact I think I'll first loose. Which isn't great because this time I am lighter than I was before I got pregnant the first time.

I was a healthy but 'light' weight before and gained 15 kgs. Lost much more than that and became underweight within a year after she was born, mostly due to pressure at work (finishing dissertation) and breastfeeding (I still do). I am pregnant again, but only 5-6 weeks, and so far I didn't gain. In fact I think I'll first loose. Which isn't great because this time I am lighter than I was before I got pregnant the first time.

Congrats!!!!

My daughter is now 5 I'm a small build anyway (natural weight about 7 and a half / 8 stone) and when I was pregnant I looked hilarious! I was one of those types who at the end of my pregnancy didn't look pregnant from the back but turn me around and it looked like I had swallowed a space hopper! A very large one! My daughter was a very healthy and bouncy 7lb 6oz and overall I think I put on about 20lbs

With my first pregnancy I gained 30 lbs exactly. With my third ( second lost at 8 weeks). I was 20 lbs heavier to start and I gained 22lbs total. I am breastfeeding still ( my son is 4 months) but haven't had that magic weight loss I keep hearing about! But then, I eat a lot more too, I am always ravenous, much more so then when I wasn't breastfeeding.

Congrats Arwen!!

I only started to loose weight very quickly after 6 months, and I lost a lot because I was also a donor of breastmilk for another infant when my daughter started to drink other things during the day and I could save whatever I pumped for a mom who doesn't have a normal production. I did so until June or so, but it started to take too much from me, actually. I had to do a big effort to eat a couple of kilos back!

I was pregnant with twins, and prior to the pregnancy I was about 12-15 pounds overweight. I gained about 25 pounds during the pregnancy. I lost a majority of it within the first 2 week(only had 6.5 pounds to go). I think the reason why is during those first two weeks, I was depressed due to major family issues and a traumatic labor, so I didn't eat much, and to top it off I wasn't breastfeeding right. By the third week I had learned how to breastfeed appropriately and then developed a crazy appetite. I ended up gaining 7 pounds during the following 2 weeks because I was eating so much. It was difficult to diet and I couldn't stop eating. But a week and a half ago I started a diet and so far I've lost 4 pounds. I don't know, breastfeeding didn't really cause me to lose weight. I don't think it causes weight loss for everyone. My doctor told me at my 6 week postpartum check up that in some women breastfeeding can cause weight gain because of the body holds on to the fat or something. She said usually when you wean, you'll start to lose weight, or when you start supplementing with solid foods, you'll notice weight loss. I only know 2 people who lost weight quickly breastfeeding--my mom who has hyperthyriodism which is known for speedy weightloss after delivery, and a friend of mine who had a very high metabolism. Everyone else I know that breastfeed either stayed the same, gained weight, or plateued. The women I know who formula fed lost weight quickly and continued to lose weight, because the appetite wasn't there.

I only started to loose weight very quickly after 6 months, and I lost a lot because I was also a donor of breastmilk for another infant when my daughter started to drink other things during the day and I could save whatever I pumped for a mom who doesn't have a normal production. I did so until June or so, but it started to take too much from me, actually. I had to do a big effort to eat a couple of kilos back!

This gives me hope lol.

Hahaha, keep on feedin'! And you have two! (respect!) Glad to hear from you btw, you sound a lot happier than before. I had a huge appetite as well, but I lost it no matter what I ate. And Lord, I ate a lot! It's also how you're built I guess. I am medium/slender but I can become quite skinny if I don't watch out.

I gained about 60 with my first, which didn't bother me or my midwives. They knew I was eating well and very active, and they considered my weight gain healthy. I lost it all within a year.

This time I'm at 31 weeks and have gained 25. I expect to gain about 35 in total. Again, I'm eating well and staying active. And I know I will lose it. With a weight gain of 35 lbs, that's about 15 lbs of fat. Not too hard to lose ( although I'm sure it will take some work of course)

I just think women shouldnt focus on weight gain and set targets or compare themselves with others. Eat well, stay in shape ( which also helps with delivery) and your body will gain what it needs.

On another note: congrats arwen!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived