Doggy Dreams??

BellaDonna

Does your dog have nightmares or dreams that cause him/her to make noise?

Every night, about 2 hours after my dog goes to sleep he will start dreaming and cry in his sleep. When it first started happening I thought something was wrong. He is in perfect health, up to date on all vaccines, happy, active, well-exercised. His sleep cry is different from any sound he makes while he is awake. It almost sounds like he is whistling and he twitches too. Sort of like this dog: The other times he moves his feet and looks like he is swimming in his sleep.

Is this typical of dogs?

I've always owned cats and never saw them do anything like this!

Yes, our Doberman makes noise whilst she sleeps, sometimes she sounds like she is crying and other times it's like a sigh sort a mmmmmmhhhhmmm. I never realized dogs did this until we started living together, I thought something was wrong with her, apparently not.

When I had my dog Misty, she used to have dog chasing dreams alot. While awake, she loved to be in the backyard chasing anything that moved so no surprise she would be having doggy dreams of chasing who knows what! Her eyes, mouth, and legs would twitch and she make make small whiney and tiny bark-like sounds. You could tell she was really into it! lol

I recently witnessed my cat having a dream that appeared to be her chasing something. First and only time I ever saw that happen with her.

My cats and dog have done similar, weird sounds, twitching, but no problems when they wake up. My cat will make a chirping sound that she only makes when she's watching birds and will whine like her heart is breaking, but she's all purrs when she wakes. My dog's feet used to twitch and she'd whine. I always wonder what they are dreaming about. At least half of my cats have been snorers and will wake me up by them snoring.

Yes most dogs dream. I think their dreams centre about unfulfilled wishes such as:

• catching the squirrel before he climbs the tree
  • having prehensile paws able to open cans of dogfood
  • successfully blaming the cat for the broken lamp
  • throwing things for their owners to retrieve

The other night, Sheila was sleeping in the crook of my arm while I watched TV in bed. She started whimpering a lot and her eyes were open adn she was shaking, soi I started to think she was having a seizure or something. I tried petting her sort of hard to calm her a little and she stopped shaking, opened her eyes wide and growled at me. Im pretty sure I distrubed a very nice dream she was having.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah all my dogs had dreams and twitched, whined, etc. It's normal. I believe my basset hounds dreams went along the lines of 'sneak over to neighbors house, open cooler next to grill, take steak, run! When caught make sad face for get-out-of-jail-free card' Unfortunately she would fulfill this dream with action every summer. My moms cat does as well and to top it off snores! Loudly! lol It's cute until you're trying to watch a movie late at night. *SNORE*

I wish I could tape my dog when he dreams. (glad to know it is common and that it all that is happening) It's so funny. He yelps and then stiffens out his front paws while the rest of him twitches. I could never catch it on video though because he only does it when he is sleeping in his bed alone, and I'd have to stake out (don't have that kind of time!)lol If I were close enough to tape him, he'd sense it and pop up thinking it's time to go for a walk. He looks like a total fool though!

LOL I think I am "ok" when I sleep. I can hold my own since I don't snore and my mouth stays closed and I usually have a cat on my head to hide me, but it is when I WAKE UP that the cameras should hide. Never been a morning person. Unfortunately my dog like mornings. grrrr

Hahaha Bella I'm so the same way. Hate mornings. Super cranky.

I'm dog sitting away from my house this weekend but Jared said that Sheila woke him up last night with her dreams. He said she let out a really loud bark that woke him up and he popped up and looked at her and she was just twitching away. God I'd love to know what she's dreaming about.

I have no idea what I look like sleeping but I've gotten a lot of pics of Jared sleeping. He sleeps in weird positions with his mouth wide open.

Archived