new job behind my parents' back

I've recently gotten a part-time job behind without telling my parents because I am attending school full-time and they don't want me to be distracted in the meantime. I'm not sure when to tell them I got a new job.. I know I'm being a little juvenile and I can easily hide that I'm working since I am at school most of the time anyway but for some reason I'm not sure if it's the best move...

Eh, I say keep a secret for now. You are certainly old enough to be able to have a job. I would keep it for a few to several months, keep doing fine in school, and then tell your parents. If they get angry, then you can say "Hey, look at my grades. I'm doing great WITH a job and have done so for several months." I doubt they will stop you.

To be honest, I think it's just part of growing up. I think it's important to learn how to balance work and school. You need to learn to do that and I think you're getting this job and not telling because on some level, you know that what is right for you isn't necessarily what you parents believe is right.

Part of growing up is just learning to break away from them and that's okay.

Archived