First Day Tips Needed!!!!

rose45

I am starting a new job and I want to make a good impression.

I feel like this is the opportunity to start fresh and reinvent myself in certain ways.

I don't want to be considered super shy so my first goal is try to be more confident (not cocky which isn't me anyway) and a little more outgoing.

I also would like to be a little more assertive and not perceived as the quiet, passive, overly sweet girl and maybe be a little more open with my coworkers. (in small doses of course)

Are there any other tips for the first day? I am supposed to arrive earlier for an orientation allowing me to meet others so I am nervous. I am not very good at small talk and would also like some ideas with that as well.

What do I ask the people I directly work for, what do i ask coworkers, convo tips, behavorial tips...anything and everything is welcome and i hope people respond.

Thanks!!

For meeting others for the first time, I'd say safe openers that don't sound too contrived are things that are relatively superficial but not directly job related - I usually save that for after opening a "conversation." Like I might see a girl who's looking kinda awkward and by herself, so I'll go over and say something like "really cool shoes - mid if I ask where you got those?" and follow up after her answer with something about the type of job (have you ever done anything like this before? I'm kind of nervous myself, I've done mostly sales, not customer service!), or how heavy traffic might've been, or if she's enjoying/tired of the blah blah unusual weather... just small chat. I try to avoid anything much personal, even the married/single/kids questions until someone would feel like it's not intrusive - while some don't give a rat's, others feel a bit more private.

And when you dress "sharp" make sure it's not only someone else's opinion - make sure it's something that makes you feel like you look all put together and confident.

I always head for the guy or girl who looks lost - I figure if I'm nervous or not at ease, they're in the same boat and would probably welcome a diversion from feeling nervous!

Congrats on getting the job, Rose. I'm sincerely glad it worked out.

I actually don't think you should put extra pressure on yourself the first day by thinking about "reinventing" yourself or changing your personality. I think you should be yourself - of course be polite, friendly, smiling, listen to what people say - and give yourself time to settle into your new position. The first day is usually enough of a whirlwind without you putting extra pressure on yourself to perform socially. I don't think you'll be labeled on the first day!

Archived