Should I be concerned if my boyfriend smokes marijuana?

Voguester

Because driving a car is much more practical in many cases and has benefits.

The only benefit of smoking weed is to escape from your own painful reality.

I'm just fine with my own reality. It's not an escape, t's an enhancement. And I think you're past the point of being impartial.

Weed does not cause cancer and as far as we know doesn't cause brain damage. That's all the OP needs to know.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Smoking cigarettes or marijuana or anything else that is inhaled into the lungs increases the risk of all sorts of cancers especially lung cancer.

Are you honestly denying that?

Really?

Have another toke

link removed

link removed

I think you need to grow up and mature a bit.

I think you need to lose the denial.

It's univerally accepted that cigarettes cause cancer, that subject is not even up for debate, it's common knowledge.

Weed is like smoking unfiltered cigarettes.

Therefore smoking weed causes cancer.

Look Atrium, you can smoke yourself into the grave, but admit at least to yourself that you're poisoning your body with known cancer causing agents that cause temporary or maybe even permanent brain damage because you can't get through the day without it.

Next you'll be citing sources that say alcohol is perfectly harmless and probably doesn't even cause liver damage.

Whatever you say chief.

baffled is right in that combusting ANYTHING of any nature and then inhaling that smoke is bad for your lungs. That's a fact. I'm a little skeptical of the studies that say that actually smoking pot doesn't cause cancer but that's just me.

People who vape or eat marijuana instead of smoke can get around this, however, as that's not actually inhaling smoke.

As for "escaping reality", doing pot is no different than drinking. Other than the fact that it's illegal. It's all about entering a different state of mind for a while.

Totally fine if you chose not to do it but if I'm of the opinion that if you like to drink and like the feeling of being tipsy/drunk, then you don't have any right to put down those who like to get high.

Weed does not cause cancer and as far as we know doesn't cause brain damage. That's all the OP needs to know.

This part I'd disagree with - as far as "that's all she needs to know."

She's entitled to do her own research and determine her personal comfort from what she finds from reputable sources.

And different states have different views as far as how "strict" they are with enforcement; some basically don't even bother, others still frown on it enough to be a potential issue in the home.

And I also agree with being around someone when they're under the influence before deciding. Just like with alcohol, I've seen different people react in different ways, some completely harmless, some a bit "off" to say the least.

Anything that someone has questions about is worth the time to check on, and do a little self-examination before committing to a shared home - not just MJ.

This part I'd disagree with - as far as "that's all she needs to know."

She's entitled to do her own research and determine her personal comfort from what she finds from reputable sources.

And different states have different views as far as how "strict" they are with enforcement; some basically don't even bother, others still frown on it enough to be a potential issue in the home.

And I also agree with being around someone when they're under the influence before deciding. Just like with alcohol, I've seen different people react in different ways, some completely harmless, some a bit "off" to say the least.

Anything that someone has questions about is worth the time to check on, and do a little self-examination before committing to a shared home - not just MJ.

I meant that's all the OP needed to know about the little discussion me and baffled had.

baffled is right in that combusting ANYTHING of any nature and then inhaling that smoke is bad for your lungs. That's a fact. I'm a little skeptical of the studies that say that actually smoking pot doesn't cause cancer but that's just me.

People who vape or eat marijuana instead of smoke can get around this, however, as that's not actually inhaling smoke.

As for "escaping reality", doing pot is no different than drinking. Other than the fact that it's illegal. It's all about entering a different state of mind for a while.

Totally fine if you chose not to do it but if I'm of the opinion that if you like to drink and like the feeling of being tipsy/drunk, then you don't have any right to put down those who like to get high.

I don't see how you can call it a fact when it's not been proven. Is it just cause you can't wrap your mind around it? I'm not saying it's not bad for you at all, it may have other effects on your lungs, but studies show it doesn't cause cancer.

link removed

^WebMD is a reputable medical source if I've ever known one.

Even if you confine your statement as a reference to our little discussion you say "as far as we know" it doesn't cause brain damage. All that means is that "studies are inconclusive as to whether or not the temporary mind altering affects of weed such as short term memory loss are permanent". Again, why injest a substance that 'might' have permanent devastating effects? Is the high really worth it? That's an honest question right there because I just don't get the whole drug usage thing.

If some of us can get through the day without it, then why can't others?

Because we're not so high-strung that we can enjoy the pleasures of life without worrying about every little detail. If you don't want that in your life ok that's fine, but this whole preachy, making me feel guilty attitude is extremely obnoxious fyi.

And the short term memory loss is the high, since you didn't seem to pick up on that. You can't remember very well what you were doing while high.

Is the high really worth it? That's an honest question right there because I just don't get the whole drug usage thing.

If some of us can get through the day without it, then why can't others?

For some people, yes. Just because you chose not to use it doesn't mean others will. Most pot smokers do just fine without pot, they just like to use it recreationally.

It all boils down to "Does this affect me?" People may do things that you may not like to do but as long as they aren't hurting anyone else, why do you care?

Atrium, I am open to being wrong but I'm still a little skeptical, that's all. The act of actually burning something (anything) causes a lot of carcinogenic substances. Perhaps THC offsets this? I don't know.

Like I said, if someone is worried, they can always vape.

I'm just saying that I can enjoy life's pleasures without partaking in mind altering drugs.

Most people who smoke pot can do. Just like most of those who like to drink.

Just because you enjoy something like alcohol/weed/nicotine doesn't mean that you automatically can't enjoy life without it!

Nope, to me they're all one in the same. Mind altering drugs that have detrimental effects on the body and yet people consume them anyway for reasons that are unclear.

It's like "This thing may totally mess me up but I'm going to do it anyway because it feels good and I just don't care".

Well, do you ever consume fast food? Because I'd put fast food and weed on about the same level.

I try to stay away from it but sometimes I succumb to the urge and eat things I know aren't good for me such as chocolate and desserts after meals.

But I freely admit that I am letting emotions rule my actions when I do such things and I get mad at myself for it and promise to show more restraint next time and make up for it by spending more time on the treadmill. It's a battle of discipline but at least I admit I have my faults rather than saying "oh it's a bonus".

I don't consider it faults, I consider it being human and having urges.

haven't read through this thread and it's probably a pretty unpopular opinion but one thing that bugs me about marijuana use is how so many people with a serious addiction to it think it is no problem at all! drinking on a daily basis is considered an addiction (by me, anyway, no batter how benign the use) and yet moderate to heavy weed smoking seems to be considered NBD. Why?? it's just nuts

I think I just have an overly negative reaction to this topic because I was a heavy smoker back in high school and associate it with some negative experiences in my life. I think legalization is justified and all that. despite the human cost of the drug war I hate that the act of smoking becomes politicized in the process.

personally, i'd never want to be with someone who relies heavy on any drug-legal or not.

For me it would be a total dealbreaker for several reasons - it's illegal and incompatible with my personal moral standards/values (because of the legality and that it's a mind altering drug not prescribed by a doctor). I would feel the same way about excessive drinking. Second I always wanted a family and no way would I expose a child to that kind of smoke or to an environment where a parent uses an illegal drug. I'm also not sure if it can cause harm to the fetus -certainly the second hand smoke can. When I met someone who had tried pot a few times in college that was ok with me - I never did but could understand why someone would experiment -but beyond that, dealbreaker for me.

Also if you're going to have your name on the lease and he violates it by smoking pot that could be a problem for you too (not sure what your situation is though).

Agree with Batya on the child thing. I don't care if people smoke pot but I'm of the opinion that if you are pregnant, you don't smoke/have someone smoke in your house and if you actually have kids, you don't smoke in the house. If you want to smoke when you have kids, hire a sitter and go out to a friend's house. When you're a parent and actually HAVE The child in your care, I don't think you should be drinking/smoking anything like that.

Agree with Batya on the child thing. I don't care if people smoke pot but I'm of the opinion that if you are pregnant, you don't smoke/have someone smoke in your house and if you actually have kids, you don't smoke in the house. If you want to smoke when you have kids, hire a sitter and go out to a friend's house. When you're a parent and actually HAVE The child in your care, I don't think you should be drinking/smoking anything like that.

I wouldn't let anyone care for my child who had just been smoking pot or getting drunk -parent or not. I am on call at night if my child needs me so I won't take any drug that would hamper my ability to care for him unless I am sick and my husband can be "on call".

HMMMM? Mind altering. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. PLEASE. Prescription drugs given to you by a psychiatrist are mind altering. They alter the chemicals in your brain that dont make you feel or act quite right. Now, the only thing that would make these types of drugs illegal is if you buy them from someone because these pills were not prescribed to you in the first place. But that is typical of any prescription. There are other things that alter the mind other than smoking pot.. stress, trauma and taking the wrong medication from your psychiatrist can make you take a dive. Hey, some of the pills that are out there to help you actually have shown some patients to commit suicide. How is that for mind altering? True story. "But thats why they monitor you" Yea, and then they put you on another and another and another. The pharmaceuticals are making bank. Ding Ding Ding! The government has a say in it. They work together.

"But marijuana is illegal"

Again. Pot is only illegal because the government says it is so because they have not yet found a way to take their portion of the money. So the government saying that pot is illegal because it is mind altering is just a red herring.

As for it being addictive and abused. Everything can be addictive and abused, over eating, power, drinking, sex, control, laziness, work etc. etc. take your pick. It at depends on the person, as many people have already stated above me. And when you go to rehab, you get put on medication. (Read first paragraph) It's a vicious cycle.

Personaly I do not think pot is an addiction as compared to other drugs like heroin, alcohol and cocaine. When I quite years ago I did not have withdrawls like other people going through detox. That was the same for other poeple I knew and know who decided to quit. There was not this "sick" feeling no sweating, shakes or cramping or a hunger for it. It was sometimes annoying because I did not know what to do with my extra time, so I found something to do. And that was that. If anything was a loss from me not smoking, was my ability to laugh till I cried. Things I gained, anxiety and the ability not to be able to relax and let things go when I got off of work and more weight because I eat when I am stressed.

What seems to be missed is that marijuana or the THC compound found in marijuana has many medicinal purposes.

***********************link removed***********************

There were too many facts so I put the address here. There were other ones but if you do a search for "medical uses for marijuana" I promise somethings will pop up.

The only real harm from smoking pot are the actual pot smokers who get busted by someone who rats them out. Only because the nonsmoker is annoyed that the pot smoker is lighting up. The majority of the time is is an unlucky person who is the responsible smoker, the one who smokes inside their home, away from the public, they keep it to themsleves and on the down low. It was just a bit of bad luck for what ever reason. I will not count driving in your car around town, that is just stupid.

And the tax dollars to lock someone up for smoking pot is ludicrous. I can think of other things my tax dollars could be used for, and those things I can think of get only pennies, if that.

I wouldn't be comfortable being seriously involved with someone who had a diagnosed addiction to anything but if I knew he smoked pot when I met him (as opposed to having tried it in college) or abused any kind of drugs or alcohol I would thank my lucky stars I knew that in advance and run for the hills since I wanted marriage and family and someone with compatible values. If he was using pot for medicinal purposes (i.e. cancer) in a state where it was legal and prescribed by a doctor I would be fine with that.

I wouldn't be comfortable being seriously involved with someone who had a diagnosed addiction to anything but if I knew he smoked pot when I met him (as opposed to having tried it in college) or abused any kind of drugs or alcohol I would thank my lucky stars I knew that in advance and run for the hills since I wanted marriage and family and someone with compatible values. If he was using pot for medicinal purposes (i.e. cancer) in a state where it was legal and prescribed by a doctor I would be fine with that.

I'm more addicted to caffeine than I am to weed, in that if I don't have my cup of coffee in the morning I get a headache. If I stopped smoking for a while (which I do all the time), I would have nothing more then a desire to do so (in the same way that I desire to watch tv, eat junk food, etc.). I imagine you'd have to smoke a pretty ridiculous amount to be addicted to it.

I'm more addicted to caffeine than I am to weed, in that if I don't have my cup of coffee in the morning I get a headache. If I stopped smoking for a while (which I do all the time), I would have nothing more then a desire to do so (in the same way that I desire to watch tv, eat junk food, etc.). I imagine you'd have to smoke a pretty ridiculous amount to be addicted to it.

I'm not sure of what level of pot smoking and how often triggers an addiction -probably varies by the person. A caffeine addiction where you need a cup of coffee is not the type of addiction I was referring to as being a potential dealbreaker. It's also different if the person has an addiction for which he is getting help, of course (like food for example).

To all this cancer talk... one does not have to SMOKE the pot to benefit from the THC. It can be baked or even eaten in bud form to avoid lung damage from the smoke.

In regards to the safety level of pot... Marijuana is the ONLY intoxicant that causes absolutely no physical dependence with prolonged use. I would challenge anyone to show me another drug/medicine/intoxicant that can make that claim. There is zero chance of getting addicted to pot. Some say that pot is mentally addicting and not physically addicting - that is simply a cop out to maintain the same old way of thinking about pot that began in the early 20th century. It is simply outdated thinking. So what if it is "mentally addicting?" WHAT ISN'T MENTALLY ADDICTING?? Food, sex, sleep, television, angry birds - all very mentally addicting... Should we outlaw these things because we enjoy doing them?

So... if Americans are going to use an intoxicant (e.g. alcohol) in a recreational manner, pot is the safest with which to do so. It is a mild high that relaxes rather than energizes; the high lasts a few hours at best; basic functioning of ones mind and body are far less affected than when under the influence of anything else, including alcohol; and there is no chance of ever becoming physically dependent on the stuff.

How much safer the world would be without alcoholics and filled with potheads...

For the life of me, I will never understand how someone who acknowledges the basic facts could ever be opposed to marijuana while not even considering how alcohol plays into the debate. Pot=bad and alcohol=fine??? Give me a break.

Archived