jbean Posted September 23, 2011 Share Posted September 23, 2011 My boyfriend and I have been dating on and off for almost 3 years (most of college). In May, I graduated from college but my boyfriend did not. He slept through most classes and switched majors so much that he is 2 years behind our graduating class. He recently dropped out and is taking a semester or two off in order to decide what he really wants to do with his life. Without student loans to support himself he has quickly run out of money. About a month ago I told him that he could move in with me until he could save up enough money to pay for his own place. He moved in and then he said that he wanted it to be permanent because "we would be moving in with each other eventually." Unfortunately, he pays about 1/6 of the bills & rent/month because he has no money. This is pretty inconvenient for me because I am a graduate student and so I do not have much money myself but I understood that he was trying the best he could. However, the other day he bought a new subscription to xbox live and a brand new game (he also eats out everyday). Since then he has been camped out in front of the TV playing video games; if he is not playing games he is at his job (4 hours/day) or at his friend's house. Today I asked him to spend more time with me because he hasn't been around. He got really defensive and said that he spends enough time with me and that sometimes he would just rather be playing his video game. We ended up getting into a fight and we both left (he went for a drive and I had to go to class). When I got back from class he had all of his things packed up and by the door. I figured he was just being dramatic so I carried on with life. He got very angry that I wasn't begging him to stay and told me that this wasn't working out for him anymore. I told him that if he was going to move out then he should just do it, not threaten it just to get me to beg him to stay. He ended up packing everything up in a rage and left. What should I do? About 60% of the time things are good with us but the other 40% of the time is very rough. I love him and I know he loves me but we are on very different paths. Is it selfish of me to expect him to hang out with me when I am paying for his lifestyle? Should I call him and ask him to come back home or wait until he realizes that he overreacted? I feel that since I pay for everything then he should at least treat me with some respect and have interest in me. He said that if he has to pay rent in order to play video games then he didn't want to live here. That means he doesn't really care about me but is just staying here for free rent, right? Link to comment
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.