True about retail?

heaven_apart

Um, I don't know if it's true or not, but I have worked many retail places, so i tend to not believe it. LOL If it's true, I don't know why they would hire me.

Well, I am wondering if it is certain stores only or in general. EX: I don't have a tan, so trying to apply at a tanning salon wouldn't really work, right

It is discrimination. But your friend speaks the truth.

Retail, sales, and customer service are all about appearance. You're more likely to get hired if you're attractive. Because attractive people lure more customers. And more customers = $$ !

I've rarely heard of an employer skipping over someone because they were TOO attractive. The only exceptionwould be is if the employer is run by a husband and wife. The wife definitely won't want an attractive woman, especially a single attractive woman, for instance, working around her husband.

Thats the only exception I can think of. Besides this, looks always plays apart. Or in employment itself.

I worked at this one place and I will tell you about what the general manager did. She had me sit in for interviews. She literally said "This girl would be perfect, she is more than qualified, has the experience BUT she's overweight and wouldn't fit in. Her teeth aren't great either. Our company has some expectations and she couldn't move around much."

Think about it though. Would you go back to an establishment if there were cute workers? I know most people say because they like to shop there or eat there etc. But really if your just bored and need something to do your more likely going to have an impulsive to go to ____ because that one cute girl works there.

Easiest way to answer this is to ask yourself, would you want some scruffy ugly guy advising you what to wear to a nightclub this weekend? or a woman wearing no make up selling you the "latest trend" perfume?

Of course not. no more then you would buy a car from a salesman wearing dungarees & a piece of straw hanging out his mouth.

You haven't got to be a super model, but upkeep & personal maintenance is crucial in being successful in retail.

I worked at this one place and I will tell you about what the general manager did. She had me sit in for interviews. She literally said "This girl would be perfect, she is more than qualified, has the experience BUT she's overweight and wouldn't fit in. Her teeth aren't great either. Our company has some expectations and she couldn't move around much."

Think about it though. Would you go back to an establishment if there were cute workers? I know most people say because they like to shop there or eat there etc. But really if your just bored and need something to do your more likely going to have an impulsive to go to ____ because that one cute girl works there.

that makes me really sad

Retail work is just ridiculous to me though. I'm not dissing the JOB. Because, a job is a job. You need to make money somehow. I just mean the attitude behind the management. They annoying take it SO SERIOUSLY. Like it's a damn life saving/changing experience. Get over yourselves. It's retail... $10 an hour at best. Stop acting like you are the end all be all... Again I am NOT dissing those who work in retail. I have just worked in places where the management acts like it is the damn end of the world. You are selling clothes... Not performing operations.

I've heard that some women are threatened by women that are slightly prettier than they are and won't hire 'em, could that be?

Also true. Why would they hire someone who would get all the attention? For a men's clothing store it can go like this: hire the hot girl and more guys will come back and it'll help them shop, or it may intimidate a guy who is shopping and the hiring manager doesn't want to be beat on looks.

I've heard that some women are threatened by women that are slightly prettier than they are and won't hire 'em, could that be?

Every employer is a different person with different personal issues. what your saying is true, in some cases. but you get it all, you get men that employ women on the basis to sleep with them, you get attractive women with 0 experience hired over people with 10 years of experience but are ugly, you get guys hired because they made the boss feel "cool" in the interview over a guy that's worked in the industry his entire life. you get uni grads rejected from job offers for someone that left school when he was 12, all because his mum is the bosses friend.

Its not politically correct, its not fair, its not right. but its life, employers are human beings and they're going to hire what they feel is beneficial to them to some degree.

Retail work is just ridiculous to me though. I'm not dissing the JOB. Because, a job is a job. You need to make money somehow. I just mean the attitude behind the management. They annoying take it SO SERIOUSLY. Like it's a damn life saving/changing experience. Get over yourselves. It's retail... $10 an hour at best. Stop acting like you are the end all be all... Again I am NOT dissing those who work in retail. I have just worked in places where the management acts like it is the damn end of the world. You are selling clothes... Not performing operations.

Based on my experiences I agree with the attitude issue you are talking about

It probably is discrimination but I am fairly sure it isn't illegal (may be an exception for overweight people in some places) . Just like Hollywood choosing beautiful people to star in their movies or designers choosing beautiful models to showcase their designs, they do it to increase sales.

not really retail but I was in a somewhat new resturant this past weekend, its a spin off of Hooters called Twin Peaks. Every girl in there was hot teen and if they werent a teen they were a dancer. The shorts came up to maybe their "woo haw" area even though you know darn well they were all shaved with either tats or hardware below. Any male teen would of had a had time in there. LOL. But back to what your saying I looked around and was like how do they get away with this. I would say all were 98lbs or less.

I got my job at my late bf's law office because I had clerical experience, PLUS I had "front office appearance" to quote him. He said his former secretary wasn't pretty and was rude to the clients. He almost had to close up shop. I was thinner and better looking than her, and very organized and efficient. Legal secretaries, unless they are very experienced, not only have to be intelligent, they have to be attractive, too. I learned how to run a law office (not for the faint-of-heart), but people liked me as a secretary because I had a nice voice and I was pretty. It's the first thing people see and law is a cutthroat business. It's okay to be an ugly attorney, but they want their staff to be handsome or pretty. Retail is very competitive, also, so they want attractive people that will bring people into the store. It's the way of our world.

Yes discrimination is the way of the World.

Sounds negative but yes, you only need to take a look around and you will find it everywhere to various degrees.

My employer was not going to hire me based on my hair.

He did in the end though since the other people who he had in mind, could not handle the work.

Archived