My aunt is making my life a living hell

Lostinlonely

I am fifteen years old.My aunt will not leave me alone about getting a job at chick fil la.What's funny is she knows I'm a Vegan and it's p.i.s.s.i.n.g me off so much.This is what my aunt says to me every time that she sees me."You could get a job at chick fil la". She is my moms sister by the way,she hates driving so my mom often has to drive my aunt places and sometimes I go with them.

My aunt shouldn't be saying this to me every time that she sees me,she doesn't even have a job. I have three jobs. I have been selling on eBay for three years.I have been babysitting for this family for two years.I also have been watching this puppy for a family when they go out of town for two years.Last Tuesday after school my mom had picked me up and my aunt was sitting in the car with her.I heard my aunt say the same thing to my mom "She could get a job at chick fil la". I know I shouldn't have did this but this was the last freaking straw. I cussed my aunt out and yelled at her saying.

"I will not get a job at chick fil la i am a freaking Vegan do you understand maybe you should get a job at chick fil la instead of wasting all of your money at the mall 24/7". My aunt does go to the mall on a daily basis we usually have to drive her there. I have sat my aunt down numerous times and told her I already have three jobs.But she just won't listen or she forgets I don't know. What should I do about my aunt?

We live in Connecticut,but I've already been thinking about moving to Ohio so I can live with a friend of mine who is also Vegan.If my aunt doesn't stop this. My aunt also makes fun of me for alot of things.

Hi Lostinlonely,

I understand your frustration. My advice is to go to your aunt and say, "I apologize for yelling and cussing at you. I don't apologize for what I said. Please do not bring up me getting a job at chick fil la again. It simple is not something that I want to do for various reasons. My primary reason is that I cannot work at a place that serves meat because of my personal beliefs. Also, since I have three jobs already I don't have time to add a fourth."

If she brings it up again calmly say, "We have had this discussion."

I wouldn't call this "living hell" but it is inappropriate and annoying.

Why does she want you to work there of all places? Maybe if you ask her, listen to her explain why she's stuck on the idea, then say "I understand why you think its a good idea, but I still believe its not worth going against my vegan values"

She might be convinced you haven't thought things through. Listen to her to prove you have.

I wouldn't call this "living hell" but it is inappropriate and annoying.

Why does she want you to work there of all places? Maybe if you ask her, listen to her explain why she's stuck on the idea, then say "I understand why you think its a good idea, but I still believe its not worth going against my vegan values"

She might be convinced you haven't thought things through. Listen to her to prove you have.

OP is 15, this is "living hell" in her experience, likely

My father told me for years and years that I should get a government job. He thinks government jobs are the best thing ever and I would never want for anything if I had a government job. Being an artist, I use to look at him like he was crazy and it use to drive me absolutely batty. It made me feel like he didn't know me. Now it makes me laugh. I always say, "Yeah, Dad, I should get a government job." And that ends the conversation.

Some people don't really expect you to do what they say, they just like hearing themselves say it. And they really don't want to hear your explanation of why it won't work for you because IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU. I know it seems like what they are saying to you is about you, but it's about them and what they want. My Dad just wanted me to have a good life - and he expressed that by telling me to do what he thought would give me a good life. Annoying? Yes, no doubt about it, but it got a lot easier when I learned to laugh it off.

Archived