I Have an Interview!

Lavender25

I have an interview on Thursday and I'm really excited about this opportunity. It's for an environmental non-profit organization in Seattle that focuses on building community through local environmental service. At first I was worried that I wouldn't get an interview because right after I sent in my application they extended the deadline. I took that as them not being happy with their applicant pool. Also, they are only hiring 60 crew members from around the world. I feel like I might have a bit of an edge there because I'm from the midwest and multiracial and the application really stressed that they wanted to build a diverse team, however the fact that they are only taking 60 people makes me nervous. I just graduated with a BA in Biology: Evolution, Ecology and Environmental Science and I look at this job as my doorway into other jobs because I will be getting experience in habitat restoration and other areas. I will also get the chance to do a lot of networking which will be useful because the position is only from February-December 2012.

A lot of the jobs I've been looking at require a lot of field experience that I don't have so I REALLY want this. Also, I've been looking for a change and look forward to locating to the Seattle area. Even if I don't get this, I want to move to Seattle. DESPERATELY. I have two good friends (married) that just moved there and they love it and keep telling me how it would be a much better fit for me than my current area where people happen to get stuck and never leave. They've even offered to let me stay with them until I can get set up on my own. However, this job will be a fairly big pay-cut for me considering I've been working in retail management for the last six months. Also, I've been living at home with my parents and I will need to find my own space, with a roommate, when I get there.

I have to say I'm a little worried about being able to afford it but my friends have said that they will help me through it because they both went through the same thing. They've started by telling me to get my student loans on income-based repayment so I'm not paying $400/mo anymore. I don't have a lot of money saved up because I have been paying so much on my student loans but hopefully that won't be an issue by then. I've made an action plan to get my credit cards payed off by the time I move which I think will also help me out financially. I might have to get another part-time job once I'm there but I have no idea how this whole thing is going to play out.

Does anyone have any tips as far as interviewing or what I need to look out for when moving accross the country? Also, at my current job they want me to interview for a position that they consider a "lateral" move. It will be slightly higher pay but it's also an hour away and I don't know if it will be worth it. Also, it's not something that I'm interested in because I don't want to get "stuck" in retail. If my sights are already set on Seattle, then what's the point? I told them I would interview on Friday but I also don't want to waste their time. Some coworkers told me to interview anyway and then turn it down if things don't pan out. I don't know. If I did agree to take this "lateral move" it would only be until the end of the year and through the holiday season. Any thoughts?

Since you don't have work experience, focus on what your personality would do for them. Do a LOT of research into the organization, find out how they operate, and then give them a good 'view' into how you would fit in. I always say, 'create a 5-year plan.' That shows you've put a lot of thought into THAT organization (and aren't just looking for any old job), that you have their best interests at heart, that you plan to STAY there for 5 years, and you've figured out ways for YOU to make a difference there. That's what they really need to hear - how YOU can make THEM better. After all, that's why they hire someone. But if you show up with a written, printed out 5-year plan, I can't imagine anyone impressing them more.

Go ahead and interview for the lateral job. The best possible position you could find yourself in is for TWO companies to be asking you to make a choice. THAT is power!

Just finished the phone interview for the position in Seattle. I think it went really well. She started with an overview of the position and the organization and then asked me some questions that I was prepared to answer such as "why do you want to be part of our organization?" and "what are the strengths that you would bring to this position?" I did a lot of preparation before the interview by taking notes from their website on their mission, goals, and values and relating it to things I have done and experienced. I made sure to smile (you can hear that over the phone), pause to collect my thoughts if needed, I didn't interrupt, and I made sure to ask questions of my own at the end of the interview.

She said that they do second interviews as well and would know if I needed to schedule one by the end of the month and that final decisions would be made by the beginning of November. For some reason, when she told me that my heart sank. Another interview?! It's so nerve-wracking! I guess my thought process was that the more interviews the lesser my chances? LOL. I don't know how that is even logical... At the end of the interview I told her that I would be using some vacation at the end of this month to visit friends in Seattle and wanted to stop by the office and possibly participate in one of their volunteer projects scheduled for that week. She said that would be great and to let them know when I knew those dates for sure.

So now I have all of this adrenaline and nothing to do for the rest of the day except obsess over this and wonder what kinds of questions could be asked in the second interview.

Anyone else been in a position like this? What did you do to prep for the second interview or at least not obsess about it?

Great news, hope this continues to progress for you.

The interview scenario you described is typical, and the more interviews, usually the better because the candidate field is becoming narrower and narrower. I would think this second interview would be on-site, either in their Seattle offices or in a satellite office near you (if they have one). When you are invited on-site the employer is already pretty confident you can do the job, and now they are more concerned about "fit", i.e. how well will you mesh with the environment there. You will likely be asked more behavioral questions than technical ones, such as "what accomplishment are you most proud of", "what is your greatest strength/weakness", "describe a time when you led a project", and "why our firm"? Google "fit interview questions" or "behavioral interview questions" for more.

The best way I've found not to obsess is to just practice, lol. The career office at your uni may also extend services to alumni so I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to them as well and see if you can arrange a mock interview. If it's not convenient for you to go back to the school they may be able to conduct it over the phone.

Good luck!

I would send her a letter thanking her for the time, reiterating why you now KNOW you'd be perfect for the job, given what she's told you about it. Then ask her for additional information on what she thinks they will be using to cut out the non-contenders. If she replies, she may tell you what bad things they ditched people for, and you can use that to prepare by focusing on how you are NOT like that.

Found out I got a second interview! I was just about to send a thank you card in the mail yesterday when I checked my email and found that I have been selected for a second interview. I'm so excited but I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any tips and should I still send a thank you card? It won't get there for 5 days so I wonder if it's pointless.

Congratulations Lavender on getting the second interview! Fingers crossed for you.

RE: the thank you note, I wouldn't send it. It's too late now. In the future, you should really send the thank you note the very next day. Sending it a week or more later is much too late, especially if it's a snail-mail thank you and not an e-mail thank you.

Yeah, it's late to send a thank you card for the first interview but when you accept this second interview you could just add something like, "I enjoyed speaking with you/your company last week during my initial interview and it reinforced my desire to work here even more, and I thank you very much for that opportunity. I'll look forward to speaking with you again and discussing further about this position." Keep it short and sweet. You'll know exactly what to say given the nature of the position.

Any news? How exciting! I'm majoring in a similar field. I'm planning on a lot of summer volunteering so I can get some experience before graduating and also to get some connections!

Scheduled the second interview for Oct. 7th because it was the only day and time slot I had free out of the options they gave me. It's the very last slot so I feel like there's a lot of pressure to impress and dazzle. It's with the corps member managers as well as the recruiter I spoke to in my last interview. I don't know what types of questions to expect but I REALLY want this and I hope that comes through in my responses. I even purchased an AP Environmental Sciences study guide to brush up in case I get any technical questions.

Have a thank you card already finished and ready to mail the DAY you have the second interview.

Good point. I was going to send an email thank you the first time but then I was told that it was too impersonal so I was going to send one by mail but I heard it takes 5 days for mail to get from here to Seattle. They really got back to me faster than I'd expected so I think if I remember correctly, they would've received the thank you card the same day I got notice of the second interview.

I think I'll send a thank-you by email this next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my second interview and I think it went great! I interviewed with two different people than the last interview who are program managers for the position I am applying for. They went over the same questions pretty much with some thrown in that I didn't expect but I think that, in spite of a few stumbles, I was able to overcome my surprise with good responses. I had a bad phone connection, though, which was nerve wracking but I got through it. I think the part where I really shined was at the end of the interview when they asked if I had any questions. I was able to look them both up online and get their background so I had specific questions for each of them to answer. They sounded surprised and kept saying, "Good Question!"

I also mentioned to them that I would be in town next week to visit the area and see some friends and would be participating in one of their volunteer projects. They told me to make sure I stopped by their office to introduce myself. I made sure to ask what I could expect from the interview process from here on out and they said they would notify everyone by November 15th or sooner.

I'm really nervous. I'm going to move to Seattle whether I get this position or not, but I've set a lot of my hopes on it so I pray things go my way. Send good vibes my way!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from my vacation in Seattle. I had a great time and I love the city. I stopped by the office of the organization I have been interviewing with (gave them notice, of course) and introduced myself. They gave me a tour and told me a little more about what it is that they do. I was also able to participate in a volunteer restoration project with them on Saturday. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot. I chatted with the current members and I think we all got along well. I think my chances of getting this job are very good, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I plan on moving to the area whether I get this position or not. I won't find out until next month, though. I'm considering looking at other places so I don't put all of my eggs in one basket. Does anyone know of any other environmental positions open in the Seattle/Tacoma area?

• 1 month later...

I didn't get the job

Just found out yesterday by email. They didn't say why, it was just some manufactured email that was probably sent to everyone that didn't get it. They said that it was a hard decision and they had a lot of qualified applicants and to consider applying for next year. I was thinking that I might but by then I will be just past the age qualifications and I definitely hope to have found something more permanent by then.

I just don't understand why I wasn't chosen. I had two phone interviews, introduced myself in person, made time to work a volunteer project with them. No one wanted it more than me. I'm still trying to move to Seattle and want to be there by February but I'm not stupid enough to move without having a job first. I've looked at the Department of Natural Resources, Ecology, Fish and Wildlife Service, Conservation Corps, the zoo, aquarium, even the humane society... but it's the off season and no jobs are available. Now I'm looking at anything I can get, even if it's just another retail job.

Anyone have any insights or can just say something to make me feel better?

So sorry. I've been down to one of two people before, and didn't get the job. It hurts. It's good that you know where you want to live, though. IMO, that's more important than a good job any day. The job is only 8 hours of each day. Are you on LinkedIn?

Yes, I'm on LinkedIn. The problem is that I'm trying to break into a career field with only a degree and no actual field experience. I worked in retail during college and now I'm part of the management team which would be great except that now I finally have my Biology degree and want to get a new job. The job I was trying to get would've been great because it was a corps-member job that would've given me experience and definitely would've benefited me as far as networking. With LinkedIn, I only get connected to District Managers and other retailers. That's not what I want.

I'm sorry Lavender. Sucks to not get a job that you really wanted and worked hard to get. When a ton of people apply for the same position, after they've cut out all the people who aren't right for the position, there can still be a bunch of applicants left and then luck can also play quite a big role.

I don't have any advice for finding an environmental position in Seattle, but GOOD LUCK with your job search. Something WILL turn up, absolutely. Don't get discouraged.

Archived