Jump to content

Do I Have Alcohol Poisoning?


Recommended Posts

I had a bit to much to drink yesterday (way too much actually) and ended up throwing up in my bathroom sink before going to sleep. That's all I remember about the night. I know I was probably drinking with friends for 7-8 hours! So I must have drank a lot...but I don't remember anything at all.

 

I woke up the next morning about 4 hours after going to sleep. I still felt drunk. All day I've been very sick. I keep feeling like throwing up (but I maintain it) and I wasn't able to eat anything until about 15 hours after my last drink. It was a small meal, and I could barely eat it without feeling like puking.

 

I only started drinking water recently. It's been 20 hours now and I still feel sick. Very very sick. I am dizzy all the time, and it's hard to walk still, my head feels really tight in general and I feel weak. It was hard to use my lungs (not even kidding about this), and I was lying down breathing slow long breaths almost all day.

 

The Good news - my headache is gone (but I still feel dizzy, weak, pressure in my head) and I still feel like puking.

 

I was just wondering if all this dizzyness is from alcohol poisoning. If so, will it wear off on it's own? Or should I see a doctor? I keep thinking it's going to wear off, but it's just not going away =(

 

Forgot to mention, I was very cold all day. I was shivering under all my blankets.

 

I've had hangovers before but nothing like this.

Link to comment

Question: What Are the Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning?

 

Answer: According to the National Advisory Council on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, these are the critical symptoms of acute alcohol poisoning:

 

•Mental confusion, stupor, coma, or person cannot be roused

 

•Vomiting

 

•Seizures

 

•Slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute)

 

•Irregular breathing (10 seconds or more between breaths)

 

•Hypothermia (low body temperature), bluish skin color, paleness.

 

Doesn't sound like you have alcohol poisoning. Hope that helps. Best to stay off drinking for a while.

Link to comment

Some more information which may be helpful:

 

The first symptom of alcohol poisoning is usually nausea, followed by vomiting.

 

These symptoms are indications from your body letting you know that you ingested more alcohol than your body can metabolize.

 

The following list typifies other symptoms and signs of alcohol poisoning:

 

Unconsciousness (passing out)

Absent reflexes

No withdrawal from painful stimuli (for instance from pinching)

Confusion

Feeling very ill, including continuous or excessive vomiting

Difficulty awakening the person

Erratic behavior

Slurred speech

Inability to make eye contact or sustain a conversation

Link to comment

Thanks everyone, thank you Capricorn3 for looking up extra information. That was very nice of you. I'm glad I don't have alcohol poisoning..was really starting to get worried. It's the confusion, dizzyness that is really bothering me. It's almost like I still feel drunk...my balance is horrible right now, even with just standing.

 

Or like I'm going to pass out, and everything still looks like it's moving (even though it's been so long now) =(

 

I am drinking tons of water

 

ate a bit of toast, was really hard to get down though

Link to comment

Are you able to eat something? The dizziness could be due to shifting sugar levels in your blood. I find your post really worrisome to be honest, apart from whether this is alcohol poisoning or 'just' having drunk too much - please take care of yourself. Excessive drinking is very heavy on your liver and affects your overall health. I don't drink at all myself and have to say I find life much easier without alcohol. I don't know if puking is such a bad thing if you've drunk so much. It's probably the fastest way to get rid of it.

 

Get well soon!

Link to comment

Too much drinking will lower your immune response, so after that power binge, you might be coming down with the flu.

 

If your stomach can handle it, have some gatorade. After all that vomiting and lack of nutrition, your electrolytes are seriously imbalanced, and that will make you feel dizzy and out of sorts.

Link to comment

I'm no doctor, but I think drinking some (healthy fruit) juice or taking a multivitamin should help a bit. You're probably dizzy and fatigued because the drinking has depleted your vitamin and mineral resources. It looks like your already drinking water so there's not much else to do except just eat as healthily as you can because, like someone else pointed out, you might be coming down with something.

Link to comment

Thanks everyone. I think it's been about 40 hours since I had to much to drink and I'm feeling better but am still extremely tired/dizzy. I ate a little today..thing is it's so hard to eat cause I scorched my throat from too much strong alcohol I think =( Whatever goes down at this point really burns.

 

I think once I get better I'll take up jogging =(

 

I was pretty dizzy this morning, was REALLY hard to walk. Although, as I'm sitting now I'm feeling okay. Just tired.

 

Thanks for all the help. This is a real eye opener for me. I actually didn't know alcohol sucks away all the vitamins and things..

 

Thanks Arwen, life is so much better healthy =(

 

I drank gatorade and ate small bits of food and it's working but slowly. Thanks again! Really needed advice on this one, and am really thankful!

Link to comment

OP, suggest that you examine your drinking habit. People die from alcohol poisoning because what happens is this: when too much alcohol gets absorbed into the body the primitive area of the brain gets saturated with alcohol and does not give the message to do the things your body normally does automatically, such as breathe. Thus, the intoxicated individual dies.

 

Do you think that your drinking is out of control? I ask this question because if it is that would define you as an alcoholic and treatment for it would be in order.....

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm better now, but was pretty sick for 2 weeks. My throat is better too. It definitely wasn't a cold..I definitely think it was lack of vitamins and water..and too much alcohol. I ended up getting bad anemia a week later eventually. However, after eat lots of the things people suggested I feel fine now. I had eggs every day, iron shakes, lots of water, and greasy sorts of food (when usually I normally eat healthy food =P).

 

It really helped. The colour is back in my face!

 

I don't know if I'm an alcoholic although my grandma and dad were. My mom wasn't. I don't feel cravings or anything when I don't drink. I did have a fear in the back of my mind that my alcohol consumption was increasing and getting more frequent. I think I was just being a party animal...I'm 25 so it's easy to get into this sort of thing.

 

Although, I am seriously considering making sure I don't become a alcoholic. I really don't want to go down that road! I've seen it destroy people in my family. Thanks for all the advice, am feeling a lot better!

 

I used to have this rule that worked nicely. No hard booze (14%-45%)...only drink 5%-7% drinks and make it 3 maximum. Once every 2 weeks if I felt like it..and always with company. I definitely haven't been following that rule for the last 2 months. I have been drinking 45% ...3-4 times a week, alone!

 

So..I think it's time for me to just cut it out all together.

 

Thanks again =D

Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

Just a quick update on this thread. It's been 3-4 months since I wrote this and I have only drank twice since. In both cases is was a tiny amount of alcohol. I stuck to only 2 beers the first time (and didn't like it..it reminded me too much of when I got sick) and then I had one glass of 14% baileys (which didn't make me feel drunk) on Christmas with my brother (he offered me the glass lol). I haven't been getting cravings funny enough. I don't want to get drunk anymore. Maybe just a light drink every now and then, but maybe nothing all together at times.

 

I feel fortunate that I haven't been getting cravings since I was drinking 40%'s for a few months. I'm always afraid that I'll accidentally become an alcoholic, I'm paranoid about it.

 

I'm happy though, these last 3-4 months have been really amazing. Also, I have been bike riding every morning down by the lake

 

Thanks everyone!

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...