Job Offers

The higher the job, the more likely you are able to negotiate. Anything under upper management...I wouldn't. Unless you don't really need or want the job. I got called for one the other day and I told them that unless it was on the east side of town (BIG city) and offering at least $XX,XXX, I wouldn't be interested. Because I have a good enough job that I know I wouldn't leave unless those conditions were met.

Usually, the employer has a set hourly rate or set salary they are offering for the position when they look for someone. If they tell you the salary offer is a firm offer, they mean that they are offering you the job as long as you accept their offer which makes sense. The only wiggle room I ever see is if you ask for flex time on Fridays to pick your kid up from school if you share custody or a small accommodation like that. Unless you have a job that is secure and you can risk losing this new offer, either you like the job and salary they are offering or you don't. At least nowadays.

Ten years ago, you ALWAYS negotiated, it was expected of you. Now, you NEVER negotiate salary, kiss of death and all that.

Thats for sure. I was just layed off a couple weeks ago. I was a close to 6 figure IT guy. Now it seems I would be lucky making 40K. Recent interview I asked for 60k and they showed me the door so to speak

You may be able to get more by negotiating, but you might also risk your job. If the company is well managed and doing well financially, then they may give you a promotion and/or raise after they see how valuable you really are to the company. You can't blame the company for wanting to wait a year or so before paying you more.

However, it is also my understanding that before you accept the job is one of the best times to ask for more (i.e. extra stock options or vacation time), but generally only if you're a real asset to the team, such as VP of a bigger company looking to expand sales in a new region, etc.

A successful negotiation should accurately represent your interest in whatever you're negotiating for. Don't negotiate for its own sake, but only if you believe you have a real reason to do so. Let's say you're working a 50k/yr job and you apply for another job and they offer you 40k. At this point, you'd want to weigh things in your mind. If you think the new job would be worth a salary cut, but not much of one, then tell them you'll take 45k. If you don't think it would be worth one at all, tell them at least 50k. If the new job looks like it might be less pleasant than your current job, tell them 60k. And if you absolutely can't wait to get out of your current job and you don't need the extra money, take the 40k and run with it. In other words, if you're desperate, don't play poker.

I remember a few months ago I was selling a turntable on craigslist and I put up a fair price for it--it was in like new condition and I was asking $250 (it was $400 new). Some guy texted me and said he'd give me $200 cash, but the offer was only good for today. I said no thanks. He texted a few hours later and said $225, but that was his final offer. I said I'd pass. He texted again the next day and said $250. I told him it was already sold. This guy apparently really wanted what I had, but he negotiated his way out of it--and that's a silly thing to do. There's no shame in paying what you think something is worth, and likewise, there's no shame in accepting a salary and a job that would improve your life, without negotiating. Sometimes bluffing works, but I really think it's a bad way to approach things as serious as jobs. Just play the real cards in your hand and things will work out.

Thats pretty much what they did. They've offered a couple bonuses and two pay raises in my first year....which after the first year would bring me close to what I had intended on accepting for salary....That shows me they are very interested and willing to work with me.....Im just not sure that I am happy with the initial offer. They've also included an extra week vacation than what their standard practice is. Perhaps I will ask for one more week....

You may be able to get more by negotiating, but you might also risk your job. If the company is well managed and doing well financially, then they may give you a promotion and/or raise after they see how valuable you really are to the company. You can't blame the company for wanting to wait a year or so before paying you more.

However, it is also my understanding that before you accept the job is one of the best times to ask for more (i.e. extra stock options or vacation time), but generally only if you're a real asset to the team, such as VP of a bigger company looking to expand sales in a new region, etc.

Great advice...and exactly my dilemma right now....

I was laid off, so I definitely need to work, and this company was number one on my list. They knew my salary expectations from interview number one and told me in the last interview that it was a bit too high for what they had intended....

I keep weighing out my salary/hours/perks etc from my last job, and nothing can really compare to it, but I realize that what the new company is offering is more standard in the industry. I think I am probably looking for perfection now that doesnt exist.

Someone suggested asking for flexible hours on fridays, I'm not sure how to bring it up with the hiring manager. I have always had flexible hours, but this doesnt seem like an option in this job, when it easily could be. They need coverage for certain hours which I understand, but no reason in todays day and age that it cant be done remotely.

I would be happier with the salary if I could at least have some flexibility in my hours. How would I bring that up or get special treatment, when it seems firm that you pick your hours and stick with them?

I have typically negotiated to some extent with any job offers, whether I got a few extra K or a week extra of vacation and it has always worked out to both parties satisfaction. The only job I didnt was my last one, because it had everything I wanted.

Now I dont want to burn my bridges and ruin any chance of my employment at this firm, but I also don't want to feel cheated or feel resentful later on. I also have fears of turning it down and being unable to find anything else. (unlikely but possible).

The salary I would be making after a year is acceptable, but starting is lower than I expected.

I do know also that the job is a good move for my career, I'm really really confused right now!

If you get there, like it, and do a good job and hit your numbers or above, you can always negotiate a raise well down the road. You can never go back and get the job if you asked for two much money.If the job is a good career move, sometimes a cut in pay or benefits works in the long run if the job will ultimately help you where you want to go.

agreed. I just always have a hard time negotiating salary once I'm working somewhere.

What if they are well aware of what I had expected to make? Is it that bad to negotiate when they know it is a low offer? It is within the typical range for my position, but at the very low end, and I have the experience to back up requesting more....

It will give me additional experience for sure, but I want to stay at this company and hope to not jump ship. Money isnt as important to me as job satisfaction, but...I still have bills to pay!

If you get there, like it, and do a good job and hit your numbers or above, you can always negotiate a raise well down the road. You can never go back and get the job if you asked for two much money.If the job is a good career move, sometimes a cut in pay or benefits works in the long run if the job will ultimately help you where you want to go.
Thats pretty much what they did. They've offered a couple bonuses and two pay raises in my first year....which after the first year would bring me close to what I had intended on accepting for salary....That shows me they are very interested and willing to work with me.....Im just not sure that I am happy with the initial offer. They've also included an extra week vacation than what their standard practice is. Perhaps I will ask for one more week....

Wait, so if I'm understanding correctly, they already said they will (future tense) give you two raises in the first year? That sounds really good, but it's not something I'm used to dealing with. I'm curious what kind of company this is, as it seems to me unusual that a company could guarantee it will have the resources to give you a raise, unless that company is either really big or somehow government funded or related.

I'm used to working at companies where raises are only for top performers, thus asking for extra money up front is like shooting yourself in the foot -- unless the company really wants you and/or you bring a lot to the table. That's why I suggested waiting for the raise until after you've been working there and proven your worth.

So, I can't guarantee how accurate my advice will be... But, good luck!

Archived