girlwaiting Posted September 11, 2011 Share Posted September 11, 2011 Let me begin by saying that my boyfriend and I have been together for 6 years, are in love, and want to get married. Here's where it gets complicated. There was a time when my boyfriend was younger that his father left and did not support the family. Despite his father being back and supporting his family now, my boyfriend will not compromise on the fact that certain things need to be financially set with him before getting married and starting our life. I understand that but it is getting hard. I have waited patiently and stood by him (long-distance relationship) through 3 years of law school. He took the Bar last year after graduation and failed by a few points. I would sure he would pass in February and he failed again by a few points. He was very confident going into the bar for the 3rd time this past July, but I am not going to get my hopes up even though I know how hard he studied. Results come out in November and I am fearful of what to do if he does not pass. I love him but we are still doing the long distance thing (he lives and works an hourly legal position about 2 1/2 hours away). I want to get married, have kids, and start out life together. How long is too long to wait? I understand that he wants things in place, but our lives have been on hold for so long. I want us to start our lives together and for him to let me be there for him no matter what the test results are. However, I know he will never move forward with me until he passes the exam and gets a job in which he can support me (despite the fact that I have my master's degree and a good paying job). If he fails the exam, he cannot take the test again until February and results won't come out until May. I don't know if I can keep my sanity with these circumstances for that long. I love him but how long is too long? What could a compromise be? Am I just being impatient. I never thought this long distance relationship would last so long. We both thought we would be together by now. Thinking about doing this another year or more, I'm not sure I can emotionally take it. I tell him this and he just says that this is the way it is and we have to be patient, it will work out eventually. Link to comment
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.