Acheiving Balance

Hurting85

I got a full time job two months ago, the first I've ever had. I know I should be thankful that in this economy I even have a job, and I am. Especially since I just stumbled into it.

However, it's retail. The 40 hours on my feet each week is killing me. It's to the point where when I wake up in the morning, I have to slowly stand up because if I just get out of bed and start moving, my feet hurt so bad, I just about fall. I don't have a set schedule, and it's aggravating because it would be nice to be able to plan things. It would be nice to work five days, and have two off. I had this past Sunday and Monday off, went back to work Tuesday, and won't have another day off until this upcoming Thursday. It's ridiculous.

How do people achieve work-life balance? I feel like I'm just coasting along, like this isn't what life is about. It should be about being around the people you love, not dreading everyday because you have to drag yourself to work. I can't even remember the last time I got to finish laundry. I keep starting, and never have the time to finish. My home is a disaster zone. If it weren't for my husband losing his job, I'd quit. The 15,000 I make a year is not worth this.

Hurting85, I feel your pain-- I've been in the same situation. Depending on the dress code, could you get yourself some squishy-soled sneakers? They come in colors, even black, so you should be able to make them fit the rules. Look for cross-trianers with a gel sole. This helps your feet a lot.

The stiffness will go away with time, it really does all take getting used to. Try doing gentle stretches morning and evening.

Another thing that helps is to keep your mind on the good things, like a paychek! Retail is really difficult, and the shifting schedule is just one more hard thing.

With your husband being out of work, could he perhaps do more things at home such as laundry?

Hang in there, it gets easier!

I know exactly what you mean. It gets better with time. Look for shoes that are super lightweight and have the gel inserts. Ours were black "dress" shoes sort of, but I found some Clarks that were night and day.

I also know what you mean about not being able to plan stuff with the schedule. I feel like life is passing me by. I haven't really found a solution to that yet and I've been at my retail job a year and 2 months. It makes it more difficult when during the week your two days off are say, Monday and Thursday.... like everyone else is working.

But being grateful helps and always looking for something better.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been at my retail job for almost 5 years now (working through college) but I've only been full-time since March. I recently finished college so now my life has just become completely work, work, work. I'm in retail management so I do get some perks like benefits, PTO, higher pay, a weekend off a month... but otherwise I'm working about 50 hours a week with mostly Mondays and Wednesdays off. I work in off-hours processing so I'm at work at 6AM Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays which means that I can't really go out late on the weekends if I want to be able to get some sleep. I've become really unhappy lately about it to the point where I cry and throw tantrums before I have to go in to work. I know I should be grateful because there are plenty of people who would love to have my job so they can pay their bills and whatnot, but at the expense of being THIS unhappy? My mother just found out last night that the contract for her government job isn't being picked up again so her entire office is out of a job. That definitely made me look at my situation differently but I don't know where the balance is.

I've been applying for other jobs now that I've gotten my degree but I won't leave until I find something else. You shouldn't either because that would be very unwise. Try and fill up your free time with things that you enjoy like reading, movies, etc and just remember you work to live not live to work.

I've also started to have the issues with my feet. I think my running shoes have given me bunions and I'm still trying to find nice dress shoes to wear that won't make it worse. I've looked at insoles, bunion cushions, and I'm going to the mall today to look and see what's available (my weekend off and I'm going to the mall... ick!) The best thing I've found so far is soaking my feet every night in epsom salts.

Archived