Crazy Idea To Get A Job

Philos

I should just dress up nice and go to the side of the road by the freeway entrance with a stack of resumes and a big sign that says COLLEGE GRAD LOOKING FOR A JOB - RESUMES HERE

Anyone think that's a good idea?

No, I think your idea of moving to Seattle is a better idea. ....chi

Part of me loves this idea. However.. just prepare yourself to experience the lowest common denominator of humanity. Some people will be brutal I'm sure.

Another option is to do volunteer work while you are unemployed. It will bolster your resume, fill in employment gaps, and lead to connections.

If you have a legal assistant educational background you.can surely find an ACLU chapter who needs clerical help, or an attorney who does some pro bono work that could use a volunteer for those cases? I think that's your best path to getting your foot in the door.

Part of me loves this idea. However.. just prepare yourself to experience the lowest common denominator of humanity. Some people will be brutal I'm sure.

Another option is to do volunteer work while you are unemployed. It will bolster your resume, fill in employment gaps, and lead to connections.

If you have a legal assistant educational background you.can surely find an ACLU chapter who needs clerical help, or an attorney who does some pro bono work that could use a volunteer for those cases? I think that's your best path to getting your foot in the door.

I just volunteered 9 months at the Attorney General's Office just to get shafted.

No, I think your idea of moving to Seattle is a better idea. ....chi

You think it is? I don't know what to do =(

I don't think you are throwing away you're dignity by doing this. I'd respect someone who did this ALOT because I sure wouldn't do it. I'm too much of a coward. You will have to prepare for derogatory comments from people who have nothing better to do then beat on people trying to improve their lives.

If you have the mustard, do it! It's can't hurt your chances.

I just volunteered 9 months at the Attorney General's Office just to get shafted.

Here's the thing about trying something one time, at one place- it might not work out and you might have to do something else. Trying something once and not getting the results you want immediately should not eliminate that idea as an option. Volunteer in multiple places, continuously, even if it isn't with an agency directly related to your desired job. That's how you meet people in the community who might have the connections you need.

I don't really recommend standing on the side of the road. Finding a job is similar to finding a date or making friends- you have to become involved with your town/city/neighborhood in a productive way, and be open to meeting different people that can lead you to what you want. You wouldn't stand on the side of the road to get a date, would you?

I really like the idea, it's daring and a little crazy!

If I was an em[ployer I would be curious.

If you can handle the rejection go for it. The more you think about it the more you will talk yourself out. Just think how cool would it be to relay the story to your grandchildren when you are 80.

As someone who doing hiring myself, I would say that this is not a good idea. If I were driving by you on the road my first thought would be "Oh, there's a guy who's been turned down a zillion times". That isn't going to spark my curiosity. I think you would be better served spending the time and effort on revamping your resume.

Think this out.

Do you really think a hiring manager is going to stop and chat with you? No. Perhaps someone hiring migrant workers or looking for part-time help at a Subway, but not a legitimate job. If you're looking for a white collar job, know that companies want to hire people with integrity and class. Not those that would pass out resumes in desperation on the street corner.

Do you have an idea of the people who will mess with you, take your resume, and then do who knows what with it? I mean, identity theft is ripe in this country, and you're going to give someone your life history with contact details on a page? Not to mention people taking youtube videos, cell phone pics - these things turn up everywhere these days.

I like the thinking, but it's not a good plan, and it's not going to get you a real job.

I once heard a story on the radio a couple years ago that a man from South Carolina stood outside a newspaper publishing company with a "Hire Me" sign. A reported came out and interviewed him. The "Hire Me" man was on the front page. Employers of several companies were calling him because the "Hire Me" man showed creativity and initiative. Two week later, he was offered a career position.

There was another story about a man in the Midwest who bought an ad board on the side of the highway and had a job within a week.

I see a lot of negatives... but employers are attracted to someone who is creative and shows effort and initiative. I say try it.

Archived