I am asking this for a friend. My friend got divorced from his wife and starting dating a girl and he had a pretty good relationship with her. His ex wife after finding out about this called him up asked to get back together, so he left his girlfriend and went back to his wife. He found out later that he was still in love with his girlfriend. He told his wife that it was over and he wanted his girlfriend back. He asked his girlfriend to get back together and she said she would think about it, and during the month he was gone she met another guy that was treating her well and she said to my friend, I am not in love with him (new guy), I am in love with you! I told my friend that this girl is now playing games with you, since you decided to break up with her, she's just getting back at you! Am I right? Anyone have any advice?

My advice is for you, instead. I'd butt out, and here's why. You're in a no win. If he ends up with the girl then you've positioned yourself as her adversary, and you'll lose the friend or keep a damaged friendship with him. If he ends up without the girl, you'll be 'right' and that will harm your friendship with him more than you realize. Either way, if you just keep quiet and hear him out without an opinion, he'll try out ideas on you and, while he might make mistakes along the way, he'll own them and he'll learn more from that than the best advice you can give.

Archived