Does anyone think they will never be a home owner?

iwishiknew

I'm 33 unemployed and still living at home, which sucks. I'm trying so hard to find a job so I can move on in life but it is not easy. I have always dreamed of owning a small house with a nice garage but it seems like it won't happen to me. I have my school loans and other bills to pay, which I can't put any money to the side for savings. It is hard finding a job that pays a living wage. If I did get a job it will probably be around $10-$12 an hr, which is not enough to make a living and save for a house. I hate living at home, it feels so awkward being 33 and still living at home. I know it is a big turn off for girls. I never had a date or a gf yet and I know I won't get a date and a gf if I'm still living at home. Does anyone else think they will never be a home owner?

You are 33, which is still young by any standard. Keep plugging away at your bills and things will eventually look differently. I am 50 and uneducated though going to school right now, bought 2 homes in my 30's, gave them up in a divorce in early 40's and bought another house at 48. Two of the houses have been through owner contracts. Just keep moving forward!!

iwishiknew, your posts go back to 2006 lamenting about how you've never been with a woman, still live at home, and more recently, your unemployment situation. I have to wonder, are you really CREATING opportunities for yourself and WORKING to improve your quality of life? Nothing is going to just fall into your lap.

Yes I am curious about your education too.

I will be 33 in 5 days and I am quite poor. I don't live at home but I am flatsharing (though it's quite common in London) and overall have little money. But I think I will own a house one day. I am still under the belief (delusion perhaps) that it will all fall into place and I'll have that stuff. I wasn't thinking of those things untl now so how could it have happened?

Don't predict gloom, you don't know how things will turn out. Just focus on getting a job and then you can flatshare with someone to save on money.

What did you go to school for? What are you trying to get a job doing?

You have to make a plan if you want to achieve certain things. The top of that priority list should be to find a job, any job, and get out of your parents' house, even if that means renting. It would probably be really good for you to be out on your own with roommates so that you have some sort of social outlet that isn't your family. Once you get the job and finances in order, you can work on the social life and girlfriend. I think you are getting overwhelmed by thinking about everything that is "wrong" in your life, and it's paralyzing you. Break it into manageable pieces and you will have much better results.

Actually, I disagree.

I am going to assume that you got your degree in basket weaving because that was your "passion". It's not THAT uncommon, actually. I know tons of people with expensive film degrees and the like, working at a burger joint. Happens all the time! Personally, I think it's a crime. Schools should not allow you to sign up for some of these degrees without having full disclosure that your odds of finding a job are slim to none.

Clearly, though, you need to get a higher paying job if you want all this to happen for you.

Take up a trade.

Trades are in ridiculously high demand and they pay quite well. You can often get into a trade from a trade school. Many of these schools offer courses of 6 month-1 year. STAY at your parents, go to these schools and learn to be a plumber, for example.

Taa Daa! You've got your house.

iwishiknew, your posts go back to 2006 lamenting about how you've never been with a woman, still live at home, and more recently, your unemployment situation. I have to wonder, are you really CREATING opportunities for yourself and WORKING to improve your quality of life? Nothing is going to just fall into your lap.

Yes, I'm trying to improve the quality of my life but I can not do that without money. I'm trying so dam hard to get a job but it is not easy. I have applied to hundreds of jobs and had some interviews but nothing. I also have applied to retail and fast food places. I'm still signed up with my career services and I'm with a temp agency but still nothing. It is just pure competition, there are hundreds of applicants that apply for a job, that is what makes it so hard and diffictult to get a job.

Maybe your focus should be more short-term. Maybe it's okay to start out renting, so you have experience living on your own first.

Yes, I have lived on my own when I was at school in Michigan and at ISU.

Actually, I disagree.

I am going to assume that you got your degree in basket weaving because that was your "passion". It's not THAT uncommon, actually. I know tons of people with expensive film degrees and the like, working at a burger joint. Happens all the time! Personally, I think it's a crime. Schools should not allow you to sign up for some of these degrees without having full disclosure that your odds of finding a job are slim to none.

Clearly, though, you need to get a higher paying job if you want all this to happen for you.

Take up a trade.

Trades are in ridiculously high demand and they pay quite well. You can often get into a trade from a trade school. Many of these schools offer courses of 6 month-1 year. STAY at your parents, go to these schools and learn to be a plumber, for example.

Taa Daa! You've got your house.

Basket weaving? lol, I have 2 bachelors: Automotive Technology from Ferris State in 2002 and HR Management & Marketing from ISU in 2008.

I am not sure where you live, but sometimes if there are no jobs in your area, you will need to move where there are jobs in the area in which you are trained. Sadly, some areas boom while others go bust, and in some areas of the country, it is extremely hard to get a job and you may need to move where there is more demand for what you do.

Have you ever considered "rent to own?" This is a situation where someone buys a house on your behalf. You pay this person rent plus a few $100 extra a month to put aside for a down payment. The homeowner takes all the risk, but if you keep your end of the bargain, they will sell the house to you in a few years and the down payment will be covered. In order to afford this you could sublet rooms to cover the rent plus extra. I agree with Red Dress...take up a trade. Learn drywalling, or some other trade. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I am not sure where you live, but sometimes if there are no jobs in your area, you will need to move where there are jobs in the area in which you are trained. Sadly, some areas boom while others go bust, and in some areas of the country, it is extremely hard to get a job and you may need to move where there is more demand for what you do.

I live in central IL, there are not a lot of big jobs in my area. I been applying for a lot of jobs in the city and chicago suburbs and I also have been applying to different states.

Have you ever considered "rent to own?" This is a situation where someone buys a house on your behalf. You pay this person rent plus a few $100 extra a month to put aside for a down payment. The homeowner takes all the risk, but if you keep your end of the bargain, they will sell the house to you in a few years and the down payment will be covered. In order to afford this you could sublet rooms to cover the rent plus extra. I agree with Red Dress...take up a trade. Learn drywalling, or some other trade. Where there is a will, there is a way.

No, I never heard of "rent to own". Once I get a job I will look into it.

I'm actually not aware of any schools which don't provide full disclosure on the success of their graduates in getting a job. It's a pretty standard statistic that universities keep track of. I think the problem is that many students don't bother investigating it.

In any case, I would say that it's a mistake to view a university degree as a direct ticket to a job. For the most part it doesn't matter if you get a Bachelor's in Biology, English, History, or even Basket Weaving. A BA/BSc pretty much says to an employer "This person had the academic muscle to get through a Bachelor's so probably can write, communicate, and has basic organizational skills". This alone will give you a leg up on people who don't have a degree. The kind of BA/BSc you get doesn't really influence much as far as the job market goes; it really only dictates your pathing within academia.

I mean, I have BA in Philosophy. Did I look for a "philosophy job" after graduating? No, as they are few and far between. I looked for an entry level job at a company where promotions/etc are possible, and the critical thinking and communication skills I honed during my degree have put me in a position where I am close to a six figure salary. Trying to point figures at the choice of a degree is rarely justifiable.

Archived