Are we okay now? Not sure if we are together again.

vanillacupcake

Been dating this guy for awhile now. Everything has been fantastic up until last weekend. We had our first fight and it was a doozy. At first, he ended it, then requested time to think. We've been mostly NC all week, did talk yesterday where he still said he needed time to think. I sent him a text last night saying, "I miss you. I want to do this right, go slow and let things happen naturally." (We dove head first into a relationship, spending every day together)

Today, he asked for his phone charger back. Now, last week, he kept his charger at my apartment telling me it was his spare. His phone battery would not last more than 24 hours and hasn't had this "spare" charger since Monday. His phone would have died way before asking for it back. (Before anyone says something, there isn't another woman. I know this for a fact.) So he's driven by his friend to my place to pick up his charger. Considering we have been barely speaking all week, I figured he would take his "spare charger" and go, his friend waiting in the car and all. He was leaving for the weekend, a trip with his friend.

I have a childhood friend coming to town tomorrow, who I cherish and he's been excited to meet her. He knows it has been a big deal for me -- them meeting. Instead of taking the charger and leaving, he asked me how I was, asked me when my friend was coming to town. I told him I would really love if he met her. He told me he wouldn't be back till Sunday and agreed to meet her, since she'll be here all week. We then hugged, I gave him a kiss, told him to have fun and he left.

He's not the type of guy to play games, and not the type of guy to take a "break" if he rather just break-up. And he's definitely not the type of guy to lead someone on. I am wondering if this is a good sign? Last time I saw him, he was so upset by the fight, he did not want me to touch him and now we were hugging. He still also wants to meet the most important person in my life, and I don't think someone who wanted to break up would want to do that? He could have also easily said thanks for the charger, go back to the car and leave... but he hesitated and stood around, trying to make small talk.

Any advice or outsider view would be great.... I am too afraid to ask if we are going to try again, because I do not want to pressure him.

Hi vanillacupcake

I am too afraid to ask if we are going to try again, because I do not want to pressure him.

I think you are right not to pressure him. Give him a wide berth for now. He's battered, bruised and not quite sure if he is coming or going. Obviously you are both shaken, but he seems to have taken it to heart and it's best to let the ground settle underneath him with no interrogatory questions. If he's coming back, he will drift back once he realises you aren't chasing him up and you are getting on with your life.

I doubt he'd come up with a positive answer for you at this point. Let him experience just what he is losing. Let him miss you and you carry on with your things. You've demonstrated that you are will to patch things up, now it's his turn.

I know it is excruiating for you waiting on the side-lines, but hold strong. You do not need to chase him for him to get over himself and come back. Arguments are a fact of life in relationships. If you two are to make a go it, then he will have to find a way of dealing with these disagreements. Even when the topics are major.

Deci

Thank you all for the replies.

What we fought about was my behavior. His roommate/best friend has become really resentful of me and disrespects me whenever I am around. I have been nothing but nice, however I expected my bf to stick up for me. Last weekend, he broke plans with me to spend time with his best friend. Acting childish, I became bratty, I wouldn't tell him what I was doing and started giving attitude. I was mad, thinking he would let this guy talk badly about me without any repercussion. He believed I was playing games. I did, I admitted to it, I feel awful about it and have apologized profusely.

That was it. We have had no fights prior. He was extremely, extremely angry at me. Now he is questioning whether EITHER of us are ready for this relationship to go further. (we only became exclusive recently after dating awhile)

He never called it a breakup.... just time off to think, considering we have spent almost every single day together the past few weeks since becoming exclusive.

Archived